Author Topic: The Place of Pace  (Read 1579 times)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
The Place of Pace
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:55 am »
http://www.automotobookshop.com.au/liverpool-city-raceway-place-pace-1967-1989-p-4817.html

got this and the second volume from Santa.
Unless you were DEAD for those twenty years, LCR was the best racing on the planet.

Awesome book, awesome memories.
Luke

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The Place of Pace
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
I remember years ago, going to watch there one night. It was washed out, so people (us included) made our own sideways action in the wet carpark after they called it off. Awesome circlework in the old Toyota Corona wagon with 4 young blokes in it ;D ;D ;D. Yep, great memories.

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:29 am »
Liverpool was indeed a great speedway, second only to the Sydney Showground for atmosphere and quality racing. I concur with Luke, Tony Loxley's books on the hallowed oval are brilliant. If you were a fan of Sydney Speedway during the seventies and eighties these books are essential for your book case.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:51 am »
Would you believe I've had this Liverpool program sitting in my scanner for the last few days, wondering where to post it, so thanks , Luke, for starting the thread.
How many of you remember this meeting ??. Ea and I were there and it looks like Gary G. had a blinder of a run, scoring 5 x 4 pointers for OZ, I must have got engrossed in the meeting as I only filled the program out to Heat 9 and only two more after that.
It was thirty years ago !! where has the time freakin' gone !!

No prizes for naming the Yanks on the cover!!

Here's the entry list, some great riders amongst them

EA and I have some great memories of Liverpool, in 1970 taking our three week old daughter with us to watch one of our heroes, Ove Fundin, Shaking hands with Ove and getting his autograph some years later when Ivan brought him out.

Watching Langy chuck a big blackie on the tar when he ran off the infield track and getting disqualified for doing it.
Also Zenon Plech running up the boards on turn 2 and kept going.
Meeting Crumpie the elder and seeing the Streeter 4V for the first time

Watching Dick Briton chuck wheelstands with  his Sprinter on the tar.

I pit crewed a bit for Chris Twyford running his GP Midget at Liverpool , on tar, the top guys in those   things were as quick as the Sprinters

PS In 1970 our daughter woke up when the bikes stopped and went back to sleep when they started up again, she didn't get her car licence till she was 32, having TWO  kids stopped her riding bikes and EA said a definite NO to a sidecar for her !!
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:16 am »
Garry Gugleimi was the absolute king of that meeting Foss....probably the high of his career. I ran into him out at a Nepean practice day earlier in the year. He's aged but haven't we all ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:22 am »
Garry Gugleimi was the absolute king of that meeting Foss....probably the high of his career. I ran into him out at a Nepean practice day earlier in the year. He's aged but haven't we all ::)

We certainly have Firko, but growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional !!!

Gary got 4 pointers in heats 1, 5,9, 16, 19, I missed filling out his other ride in heat 12. The riders he put away that night were world class, a great result for him.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
I only ever rode the little track on the infield after they layed bitumen on the original track.
My last ever competitive outing on a Speedway bike was there and Jonsey was actually in my last race, I'd had 2 wins and in my next ride I led around 1 & 2 then rolled the front tyre off the rim going into 3 which dug the front in and I did a 180 and had a head on with Ken Baxter who was coming second breaking his leg, that was enough for me, I wasn't enjoying it anymore.
Great venue.