Author Topic: Mechanic Brisbane  (Read 11077 times)

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
Mechanic Brisbane
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »
Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Brisbane area that does a bit of cash work on the side? I'm not a rich man, so any savings help.

In a month or 2, I will have my 96 CR250 rebuild almost to rolling stage and at that time I will start thinking about the motor and what to do with it.

Crank play seems O.K, the cylinder looks good, need to have some measurements done to be sure.

I've toyed with the idea of a new top end only, to sending the crank to the US to have it balanced and lightened, need some solid advice/guidence I suppose.

I know of a good mechanic, but would need to drop the engine off at his shop and collect it finished using mainly the aftermarket parts they supply. I want to use OEM where possible, supply my own parts and maybe modify a few things along the way, so it could take a few months to build.

Was tempted to do it myself, but haven't done a bottom end before, so am a bit nervous and by the time I buy case spliters etc, it might not be worth the pain and suffering.

Any contacts appreciated, Cheers Jim

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:23 am »
If the jobs going to take a few months... ???
Then to buy/aquire/borrow some tools, a good manual and advice won't be
A pain at all.
The skills/knowledge and people you will meet and learn from along the way
Will save you big time, next time.
"flat bickie"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:27:48 am »
For the crank or cylinder work take them direct to serco in Deshon st, Woolongabba
You will need to strip everything yourself and just take the bare parts, then reassemble yourself.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:04:27 am »
For the crank or cylinder work take them direct to serco in Deshon st, Woolongabba
You will need to strip everything yourself and just take the bare parts, then reassemble yourself.

I disagree there. If you want it done quickly and it spat out, take it there. If you are in no hurry you need to take it to either George Mackensie or Ron Russ. They are one man bands and never make mistakes. George is excellent with modifications. I'm happy to do the bottom end rebuild for you.

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:15 am »
Try this guy, excellent work Mark Power ph 0414239930, works from home ;)
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:13:44 am »

I had my sons crank rebuild on is KTM 65 by them, through a shop and it vibrated something terrible. I should have left the bottem end alone.

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:10 am »

I disagree there. If you want it done quickly and it spat out, take it there. If you are in no hurry you need to take it to either George Mackensie or Ron Russ. They are one man bands and never make mistakes. George is excellent with modifications. I'm happy to do the bottom end rebuild for you.

Thats what I'm looking for, it may only take a few weeks, it may take a month or 2. I'm more looking it for it to be right, not rushed.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:23 am »
I quite honestly couldn't remember how many bits I've put through the serco workshop over the years (2 and 4 stroke) without a single problem. But each to their own I guess.

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:21:14 am »
I quite honestly couldn't remember how many bits I've put through the serco workshop over the years (2 and 4 stroke) without a single problem. But each to their own I guess.

No Problems, certainly no failures. I'm just a bit fussy and I think because they do so many cranks, they probably don't take that little extra time is all.

Offline yungy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:32:25 am »
I've had issues with serco in the past they will never admit fault & won't stand behind any of there products I'd stay away

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
Jim....Many years ago I too didn't have the confidence to build my own bottom ends but after getting screwed by a bike shop for an engine build I decided to learn to do it myself and haven't looked back. To pull it down get a good service manual, the correct tools and pullers, get the bench spotless and take your time. Set up a help hotline with someone like 090 Brad who knows those Hondas in case you get stuck on something. Shop out the crank building and balancing to someone who knows what they're doing, ditto the cylinder boring but if you follow the book on everything else you'll eventually get it.
Some tips:
 *A good idea is to go to the supermarket and get a good array of zip lock plastic bags and a texta pen. As you pull a part off the engine put in a bag and write what it is on it.
* Replace all of the case screws with new ones. Stainless steel screw kits are all over the internet.
* Replace every gasket, seal and bearing with new items. You'll feel much more secure when you know every thing is new.
* Use factory or name brand gaskets. Some of the cheapo sets are just that, cheap shit.
* Make sure the water pump housing is in good shape and not corroded. The last thing you need is coolant pissing out everywhere.

The pride you get when you hear an engine you built yourself fire up is cool. The money you save will make it worthwhile too.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 05:11:38 pm »
Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Brisbane area that does a bit of cash work on the side? I'm not a rich man, so any savings help.

In a month or 2, I will have my 96 CR250 rebuild almost to rolling stage and at that time I will start thinking about the motor and what to do with it.

Crank play seems O.K, the cylinder looks good, need to have some measurements done to be sure.

I've toyed with the idea of a new top end only, to sending the crank to the US to have it balanced and lightened, need some solid advice/guidence I suppose.

This bloke is as good as it gets for cranks

http://crankshaftrebuildingservices.com.au/
single cyl crank $50 yet to find ANY run out on Graham's cranks
The 'balanced and lightened' bit is something you don't need to do. They are balanced from the factory and lightened crank does not make for lower lap times.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22:21 pm »
The 'balanced and lightened' bit is something you don't need to do
You reckon Lozza? Ask Dean Burt, Husky Pete or any of the guys who are seriously setting their engines up how much of a difference balancing makes. I've spoken to enough satisfied and surprised racers to know that I won't build another engine without getting Franks Cranks to balance and assemble its crank.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:24:07 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:09 pm »
The 'balanced and lightened' bit is something you don't need to do
You reckon Lozza? Ask Dean Burt, Husky Pete or any of the guys who are seriously setting their engines up how much of a difference balancing makes. I've spoken to enough satisfied and surprised racers to know that I won't build another engine without getting Franks Cranks to balance and assemble its crank.

Thats solid advice Firko, tell me more about Franks Cranks? Is he based in Australia?

I'm not looking for the fastest bike, just a strong, clean reving and well tuned engine. I don't plan on racing it, only enjoying it for the icon it is.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »
Best advice is  "Balance the crank"

Franks Cranks , you wont be any faster , but you with be smoooooooth , get cranked by Frank

Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs