Author Topic: Rubber bands for holding on numberplates etc  (Read 4280 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rubber bands for holding on numberplates etc
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:29 pm »
I brought O rings from the local bearing shop & used them,they worked great for about a month then I noticed they were perishing & then in another month they had gone ping & snapped,I figure they are really not meant to be stretched & used under tension only as a seal,or my shops stock is old as the hills,any feedback on this or what you are using,Is there a different type of O ring I should get,I have had this happen a few times on different bikes with different sizes over a couple of years,the original ones are NLA :)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber bands for holding on numberplates etc
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »
VMX Unlimited are still showing the RM Suzuki-type brackets in stock, so that's the  bracket and retaining strap that wraps round the fork leg for $45 a pair, tidy solution.

http://www.vmxunlimited.com/categories/Suzuki/RM/Plastics/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:23:21 pm by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:38:16 pm »
  The rubber in some o-rings seem to have gone the way of everything else these days - crap ! as soon as they hit uv's they will only last a few weeks ,i'd say you would need to go nitrile or viton to get any life outta them in that situation or call les  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »
after years of dealing with everything from rubber bands to duct tape to hold my number plates on securely, I now use these neat little gadgets on all of my bikes.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
zip ties

Offline Frank M

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:37:40 am »
EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer (M-class) rubber)

The main properties of EPDM are its outstanding heat, ozone and weather resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:31:07 am »
  The rubber in some o-rings seem to have gone the way of everything else these days - crap ! as soon as they hit uv's they will only last a few weeks ,i'd say you would need to go nitrile or viton to get any life outta them in that situation or call les  :)
Nitrile is useless when exposed to sunlight/UV rays & is the material most off the shelf o-rings are made of

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:53 am »
Peg board clips. $2 a packet. Used two or four per plate
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:46:22 am »
   Ahh - maybe its viton then ! which are aparently useless on shafts  :)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:05:53 am »
inner tube and ya get all size rubber bands, from pushy tubes to truck and wait there'smore  :o
binder twine and rusty wire is all the go a 1000 farmers cant be wrong ;) farmers are outstanding in their field

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:34:09 am »
or these......another version of the ones I use. Seriously chaps, the old rubber band, cable tie, untidy fix is just soooo yesterday. For $32 a pair why bother with anything else unless you're an originality anal or building a rat bike ::).

or if period correctness is your particular fetish, why not try these Preston Petty headlight mounting brackets. How many of us have them laying around attached to a faded or broken old Petty headlight. They often come up on eBay for piss money or if you need new, Strictly Hodaka stocks them for around $30 a set.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »
Thank's for all the replies guy's,Are the first lot you posted the Oldskoolmx ones Firko? and where are the other ones from?,I have been meaning to get a few sets for some of my other bikes,but this bike is using the original plate,so it needs the rubber band type :)

I have got these from the local Chinese cheap shop,pack of 10 for 2 bucks,they are hair ties,Will give them a try,also handy for styling in the pits :D

Now all I need is something to stop my skirt from getting caught in the chain :D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
Are the first lot you posted the Oldskoolmx ones Firko? 
Yeah Smed, that's them. The others are advertised on http://vft.org/vftforsale2Products.html NEW Aluminum Billet Number Panel Brackets in multiple sizes as follows;  32-34mm, 35-36mm, 38-40mm, 41-43mm
(comes with all stainless steel hardware).  All of my items are made is U.S.A. and are extremely high quality. 
We CNC other sizes upon request.   
They are sold as a pair for $31.95 USD + S/H $4.95
Call Joe @ (928) 232-7111

There's also another type that show up on eBay as well for a similar price.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:47:48 pm »
I made my own set of alloy mounts based off those ones that Firko put up, work well although I have a front plate that is shattered around the mounting point from something hitting it. They really need to be a bit wider
Anyone tried the round plastic type that get advertised on Mark's swapmeet?

Curly3

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:33 pm »
"O" Rings or pushbike inner tubes.