Author Topic: Feliz Navidad from Firko.  (Read 5218 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Feliz Navidad from Firko.
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »

2012 has been a pretty interesting year. I've had ankle fusion surgery, kidneys that decided to shut down that had me on a piss bag for four months, a collapsed lung, a nice little Golden Staph infection, Gout bad enough to put me in hospital and waking up in the middle of my kidney stone lazer operation to the worst pain I've ever endured and then going into toxic shock that had me in intensive care for 7 days. Thankfully it's all been uphill since then to the point that I feel the best I have in years. The journey was a shitter but the final destination is pretty damn good. Once the twice cancelled knee replacement op finally happens, I'll be a new man....watch out George Clooney ;D.

When you're sick, you really get to know who your real friends are. Besides my family, I'd have been really up shit creek without the help of Bernie Ellis, Alan Jones, Frank Stanborough and Stanley Potts for going out of their way to drive me to doctors appointments and generally do much of the stuff that I couldn't do myself. I was also stoked at the number of phonecalls, emails, PMs, Get Well cards, forum threads and hospital and home visits I had from my friends in the VMX community, even folks I'd never met face to face including a few new friends in the USA and UK. There are too many of you to name individually (and you can bet I'd miss someone) I can't tell you how much you helped in my recovery, it was brilliant.

Now that I'm almost back on deck I've got a new burst of enthusiasm for our sport. Even though I'll never again be the mediocre rider I once was, I've made my mind up to get back on board for a few competitive outings in 2013. Although I probably won't be riding my motocross tackle at any VMX meetings (although Canowindra does look my style), Tony Clarke and some other guest stars will be riding one or two of them at the big meets next year, while I'll be riding them and my beloved flat trackers at Penrith club dirt track meetings. If it looks like I'm good enough to duke it out with Matcho Mick and Jimmy I may even ride a couple of meetings with big trophies and a proper announcer! I also hope to ride a couple of Vinduros on my IT250H. I'm looking to get into my new Metisse project and KR250 Maico 'rustoration'. The biggy for 2013 however will be finally finishing (some would say 'starting') my pre 60 class TriBSA in time for both DT and Classic VMX Nats late in the year.

In closing, I'd like to wish each and every one of you a truly Great Christmas and hope you all have a prosperous and extremely cool 2013.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Feliz Navidad from Firko.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:01 pm »
Nice. Good to see things are coming together for you after a crap-filled year, mate. Makes it worth keeping at it.
Get stuck in, son.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:11:08 pm »
I'll be a new man....watch out George Clooney ;D.   

Not that there is anything wrong with that...  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:32:27 pm »
Some days I know how you feel Firko, I’ve been down so long it looks like up to me ;D

I think though they may have written this for you. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

Been madly trying to finish jobs before the world ends, I should just make it.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have some good times with loved ones.
Bring on 2013
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum and I hope that 2013 will bring great times for all. cheers

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
Ive known you for a long time firko ever since you started writing vmx columns for ADB
back in the early 90s and ive always wanted to meet you (came close this year you were sitting
on my bike trailer at bulahdelah this year, i am shy ;D) and ive always respected you a lot cause you have
been one of the main movers and shakers of the vintage movement.
So im wishing you a merry xmas and hope you have a happy and heathier new year.
All the best mate,
Cheers
Andrew 

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »
Unfortunately there a quite a few of us whose mental state is years younger than our physical. To all with long term aches and pains, Merry Xmas. To Firko and the new head of security at Casa del Firko, Reggie, catch you up in the New Year. I think a match race is on the cards...... That will help the insomniacs.
Rosco 86

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:14:48 pm »
Merry chrissie everybody. And for the first time in two years I can relax on Christmas day. Keep it rubber side down

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »
Unfortunately there a quite a few of us whose mental state is years younger than our physical. To all with long term aches and pains, Merry Xmas. To Firko and the new head of security at Casa del Firko, Reggie, catch you up in the New Year. I think a match race is on the cards...... That will help the insomniacs.
Rosco 86
For my recent minor op, the aneathesist checked me out and seemed satisfied with the results and my conversation re fitness but about me being annoyed that I get puffed out when I do things  like pushing my bike his comment was "I think you are not admitting your age"
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:28 pm »
 And let me add FELIZ NAVIDAD to all my friends on here!.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
Great news Firko on your vastly improving bits and pieces ! Bit of an understatement to say "Is so good to be healthy" Cheers and to you and all ,Have a safe but with a balance of silly 2013. Tim754  aka Tim Derrick :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »
Merry Xmas Uncle Firko,your unbridled passion for VMX and life inspires us all.
Cheers
Craig

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »
Mark , a merry Xmas to you and Reggie
With all these modification you have  had down over the past year you are not era correct and if you get move travel out of the suspension ( knee op ) You will get protested  ;D
Cheers stewart   

Curly3

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »
Seasons greetings to all.
I'm glad to hear that your health situation is on the improve Firko because I know you've done it pretty tough over the last few years.
Personally, 2012 started off bad for me and seemed to just get worse, I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2013.
Cheers, Steve  ;D

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »
I concur with all the above posts Mark. Merry Christmas to you and to all of the forum members. Roll on 2013 and for me moving into the 50+ status ;)