Author Topic: Georges Jobe' passing  (Read 16998 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: George Jobe' passing
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »
I'm reading on facebook that he has passed away. No details though.
You can't trust everything you read (most) but..

This would have to be in the top three iconic mx photos of all time. Number 1 in my book.

What did you think it could be a hoax? As if someone in the motocross fraternity would joke or BS about something so serious. I suppose you are still waiting for confirmation on the channel 9 news.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »
Of all the photos seen,these sum it all up!!  8)  8)

Georges Jobé Nationality Belgium Belgian Motocross career Active years 1979 - 1992 Teams Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda Grands Prix Championships 250cc- 1980, 1983 500cc- 1987, 1991, 1992 Wins 31 GP debut First GP win Georges Jobé (born 6 January 1961) is a former five-time FIM motocross world champion from Belgium. In addition, Jobé also won several Belgian national motocross championships in a professional motocross career that spanned from 1979 to 1992. Jobé was crowned FIM World 250cc Motocross Champion in 1980 and 1983, and later went on to be crowned FIM World 500cc Motocross Champion in 1987, 1991 and 1992.[1] Jobé's 1987 500cc championship was notable as he won riding a "private" Honda CR500. Most of his rivals were on the official "factory" teams of Honda, Kawasaki or KTM. In 1988, having been crowned World Champion in the 500cc class, Jobe competed in the 125cc World Championship to attempt to win the "Triple Crown" (FIM 125, 250 and 500cc world titles). He was unsuccessful, with countryman Eric Geboers achieving the feat by winning the 500cc World
championship in that same year (Geboers having previously won world 125 and 250cc titles). Geboers was a member of the victorious Belgian team at the 1980 Motocross des Nations. Jobé is famous for an incident that occurred during the 1984 British 500cc Motocross Grand Prix, held at Hawkstone Park, Shropshire, England. In 1984, the Hawkstone Park circuit included a large "double jump" (before they were customary on top motocross circuits). Few riders had the courage to attempt to clear the jump during practice, let alone during the actual race. However, during the second race of the Grand Prix, Jobe passed rival André Malherbe by clearing the double jump, physically jumping over his rival in the process. Photographer Nick Haskell captured the moment, and the image of Jobé flying over Malherbe, with the crowd cheering on is often seen by some as one of motocross's most iconic images. (A copy of the picture can be viewed on Jobé's official website, [1]) In 2007 Jobe was paralyzed while training young riders in Dubai. After four years of intense rehabilitation, he has recovered his strength and is now walking and riding his bicycle. However, in 2011 he was diagnosed with leukemia and is now currently facing the challenge to regain his health. [edit] Professional Honours FIM World Motocross Champion 250cc 1980, 1983 500cc 1987, 1991, 1992 Belgian National Motocross Champion 250cc 1978,1980,1981,1982,1983 500cc 1984,1989 Italian National Motocross Champion 500cc 1986 FIM Trophee des Nations 1980, Member of Team Belgium

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:56:34 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:45 pm »
Hey motomaniac, why would you degrade everybodies sadness with a comment like above to try and stir shit?...your a clown mate, everbodies saying and remembering nice things about one of the greats of our sport and you try a cheap shot.....there's a time and place for everthing.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 07:26:24 am »
Hey motomaniac, why would you degrade everybodies sadness with a comment like above to try and stir shit?...your a clown mate, everbodies saying and remembering nice things about one of the greats of our sport and you try a cheap shot.....there's a time and place for everthing.

Because of the embarrassment thats why and out of respect for Dave King most likely was the person to spread the news , he would have soon dispelled the news if it wasn't true with a simple phonecall.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Georges Jobe' passing
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 09:59:22 am »
I saw it before Dave king posted anything. Through a page that I didn't personally know the guy. It was early times. How many stories go through the Internet that are from misinformed or trolls stirring the pot. You're part of the "motocross fraternity", yet you are willing to degrade this thread to have yet another go at me. Why don't you save it till we are face to face.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »
Hey guys, all it took was a look on facebook to confirm. Whether FB was or is right is out of our hands. Sadly it appears the story is true (http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/supercross_motocross/2012/12/20/georges-jobe-1961-2012/) and if anybody's gong to have a snipe at somebody else I think we should respect Georges memory and keep it away from this topic.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »
I saw it before Dave king posted anything. Through a page that I didn't personally know the guy. It was early times. How many stories go through the Internet that are from misinformed or trolls stirring the pot. You're part of the "motocross fraternity", yet you are willing to degrade this thread to have yet another go at me. Why don't you save it till we are face to face.

Thanks for answering my question.I have more faith and respect in the motocross fraternity than to suspect someone would post something so serious through misinformation or worse a go at stirring the pot!
If thats what you think of your FB friends Im glad that you defriended me.Embarrassment was an understatement!Out.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »
very sad day i met georges jobe at farleigh castle really nice guy
and very approachable was such a great rider racing against the
team hondas of malherbe geobers and thorpe on the lonely kawasaki SR500
then winning as a privateer on a honda he will be sadly missed amoungst
the motocross fraternity  he was my idol in  84/85/86 on the kawasakis
i had a 85 kx500 and i wore the same white gear with green jt armour
then to meet him in 2010 and 2011 was unreal something i will never forget RIP jobe..
follow me to first turn