Author Topic: Grasstrack (long track speedway type) meeting anyone interested?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Grasstrack (long track speedway type) meeting anyone interested?
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »
Well the above says it all. Here in North Central Victoria there be more than a few towns ,hamlets and villages that have now unused turf horse racing tracks. My dream is to one day see the bunting ,markers and a start tape be in use at such a waste. Perhaps all eras for speedway / dirttrack sliders and up to Pre 90 VMX solos and of course the mighty sidecars of any type
Anybody else interested? I mean I have been plugging away at trying to organize an event for nine years and it has occurred to me perhaps I be the only person with this bent. Cheers Tim754
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:37:55 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Grasstrack (long track speedway type) meeting anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »
i am with you brother. if you can get it in motion i will ride.

insurance and other red tape hurdles will be hard in today's age to overcome.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:35:27 pm »
I definitely think it has legs and even though I might not ride it would def come down to support it.
For some inane reason we seem to lead the world in Gov't red tape to " protect " us from ourselves.
In the US you only need to look at the Flattrack racing on the Fairgrounds, in the UK they still run Grasstrack meetings in open paddocks and they're frigging land starved over there.
WTF is wrong with us?
It seems to me we're too concerned with protecting the spectators.

Offline colmoody

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:40 pm »
Tim I reckon you are on to something with the Long Grass Track Thingie. For sure would b fantastic to watch. Personally would be a little worried about how long the Turkey would hang together after being on the main jet for so long. Always good to see the modern Long Trackers in full flight so if maybe modern classes could be incorporated might be easier to promote an event like this.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:29 pm »
If a chookie Grasstrack event can be held on the centre green of the Canowindra trotting track,why couldn't the same be done for all classes, including longtrackers ??
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
I should add that I was talking about the " Speedway Act " as I remember it being called, predominantly about safety fences, most of which could kill the rider but protect the spectators.
Others will know more than me but once this act came in heaps of tracks closed overnight.
Foss, am I close?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:50:14 pm »
Yep, you're close Slides, Its full title is NSW Police, Speedways ( Public Safety) Act or at least it was when I had the teeth gnashing experience dealing with it. I still remember the guy's name I had to deal with.
That being said , we got there and got a track licence after crossing all the Ts and dotting the Is, I guess some of the horrific spectator injuries and deaths in the very early days had a lot to do with it's inception.

I soon worked out that you did EVERYTHING the copper that inspected it wanted you to do !!!
Foss'

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:05:37 am »
 The old 'Speedway Public Safety Bill 1958' or whatever it was called was recinded in later years and was replaced with a watered down version of which I have a copy somewhere.
 I made enquiries re this through my local member when I came back to racing in the '90s
 Of course this 'speedway act' thing was only a NSW. GOVT. action.
 Any one can get this info through their local State member.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:53 am »
I have two words - get this shit sorted .... ok maybe more than two words but check this out, id even pay to see this.... More to ride it  ;D

http://youtu.be/nQS8DF-Y47Y
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:00:41 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:14:45 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:24 pm »
They still run them at Newcastle showground every now and then,
I think the big problem is the bozo's that buy a house near a venue and whine about them being used, noise, traffic etc.
There should be a covenence on all properties surrounding a venue (Nepean is a great example) that when you purchase a property
expect some noise etc and there is no avenue to complain when the venue is being used.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »
The Bathurst long track was on the trotting track I think and I remember one at Bankstown trots. Were they the ones the Ivan Mauger started off? Probably 10+ years ago now.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Hey Tim, if something gets going I would certainly be a starter. Perhaps we could call it the "Old Wobblers class".
Generally it's hard to get these things going on your lonesome. Perhaps call on some of the old boys from the Vic Speedway Sidecar Riders Assoc, I would imagine some of them would help out. Down in Vic next week will chat with Peter Tolley and Douglas Cotterall to see if we can get some enthusiasm/help.
Rosco86

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:20 pm »
We have a classic long track meeting at kapunda trotting track, its a once a year run on the 800m tack, to see the open boys go flat out is simply amazing. It's become a very popular event and no doubt will become invitation only soon.  It is run by a private promotor northern track promotion, but if we can get a grid of entries we could get a class entered.  Currently they run pre 85 sidecars, dirt track outfits, long track bikes, speedway solos and mx modern lites and open.  Get a grid sorted of similar bikes and we can make it happen.  Kapunda is on the northern side of Adelaide so central to all if you come via mildura or renmark etc.  consider it, the event is already on, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel and pay to run the event etc. but you will need to supply a grid of bikes to get them in the program.  12 bikes to class.  You could do a pre 75 open ? For example
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:17:03 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »
http://www.northerntrackpromotions.com/

Have a think about it. Happy to campaign to get it in the program if you can get me the bikes to fill it guaranteed
74 Yamaha  flattracker's