Author Topic: Phil Hopwood Down Hard at Chehalis  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Phil Hopwood Down Hard at Chehalis
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:43:38 am »
Anyone here know Phil?  I just heard he took a pretty good spill at the AHRMA Chehalis Vintage National in Washington state.  I will try to find out more and maybe some contact info at the hospital.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

eno

Re: Phil Hopwood Down Hard at Chehalis
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:34 am »
I read a brief report on Chehalis at Cousin Weedies Yahoo board, it was said an Aussie went to hospital with punctured lung. I don't know anymore than that.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:01:48 am »
Geez.  Phil must be made of really tuff stuff, as he broke his collarbone the week before in Mid-Ohio. :o  I didn;t think he'd be able to ride at all a week later... ::)

I hope it wasn't Peter Lawson that got hurt... ???  If so, that would make it a pretty tough trip for the Aussies.

Offline rowdy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:13:39 am »
Talking this morning to Brooke Lawson
Its confirmed Hoppy has had another rare spill and broken a couple of ribs and punctured a lung.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:10 am »
Harborview Medical Center
325 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA  98104-2420

(206) 731-3000
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:35:09 pm »
I've know Phil for a few years and never seen him fall off, we let him out of our sight for two seconds and he's fallen off seriously, not once but twice.  Get well Hoppy and hurry home before you do any more damage.

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:17:06 pm »
 :oDamn! Heal up soon Hoppy, You'll be missed at Mill Farm this weekend.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 10:23:35 pm »
Maybe the Northern Hemisphere gravity is different? ;)

Get well soon Phil.

TooFastTim

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:17:09 am »
Maybe the Northern Hemisphere gravity is different? ;)

It works the other way round 'cause water goes down plugholes the other direction

Offline SIEGE

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Hopwood bored to death
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:43:20 am »
hey boys

this is my first post on this board...

I stood by Aussie Phil's Hopwood's bed Teuesday Night : it was the second time I'd swung by to see him
and we talked for an hour or so

I'd only met him the night before he crashed, but there's nothing as miserable as waiting around
in a hospital in some weird city on the wrong side of the world so he seems to be fine- he's still waiting for his lung to drain

we yacked up a storm about bikes, numbers, race organization
the color of number plates, the Hammer & Tongs Series (our summer series in the Pacific NW)

of course it'd be fun to drag him out to Sushi and REAL coffee, (which we have here)
or even just hanging out here in the summer evenings and kickin CZ tires
but he's stuck there...

I wanted to post something on the group...

get back // SIEGE

Phil H

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:16 am »
Thanks for the concern all. Finally home now and recovering.
Broke the collarbone at Ohio, then had the big fall at Chehalis 2 weeks later - broke 4 ribs, broke the same Ohio collar bone and punctured both lungs. It was just meant to be a fun trip - really!

Thanks for dropping in Siege, that was a nice surprise. Hope the Hammer and Tongs events go well. Thanks also to the Seattle policeman who was racing at Chehalis and dropped to say g'day (forgot his name for the moment). Thanks to Bill Davis (farmpro) who went out of his way to help us out on this trip. His generosity meant that we could get to both events by driving his truck from Texas to Ohio, then to Chehalis. Bill then drove from Chehalis back to Texas. Top bloke. Finally a big thank you to my travel buddies Pete and Sue Lawson who reorganised the flights and accommodation and helped me out while I was layed up. Thanks heaps.

The trip to Ohio and Chehalis was a blast though. The scenery, atmosphere and scale of the both events was awesome. Met some great people who could not do enough to help us out. Hope to get back there again soon.