Author Topic: Were would you like to race VMX?  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Were would you like to race VMX?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »
Yeah nada, Mortlake was a great natural terrain track. I raced there many times in the 70's and also rode a 79 CCM there at a meeting in the 90's. It was the only track I could get the CCM with it's 3 speed box flat out in top. I raced many times at Barrabool in the 70's 80's and 90's but the best I ever saw it was when it was prepared for the first Thumper Nat's meeting there in about 96?
A real fun track in the 70's was in the centre of the roadrace track at Mac Park Mt Gambier, it always started off as smooth as a bowling green and always ended with bike swallowing woops in the bottomless sand.
Wallan, Amaroo, Atajara Park were all great tracks to race on but my favourite track to race on was Christmas Hills.

Stan.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:48 pm »
Yeah nada, Mortlake was a great natural terrain track. I raced there many times in the 70's and also rode a 79 CCM there at a meeting in the 90's. It was the only track I could get the CCM with it's 3 speed box flat out in top. I raced many times at Barrabool in the 70's 80's and 90's but the best I ever saw it was when it was prepared for the first Thumper Nat's meeting there in about 96?
A real fun track in the 70's was in the centre of the roadrace track at Mac Park Mt Gambier, it always started off as smooth as a bowling green and always ended with bike swallowing woops in the bottomless sand.
Wallan, Amaroo, Atajara Park were all great tracks to race on but my favourite track to race on was Christmas Hills.

Stan.

I must say, I have only heard raving reviews about Xmas Hills!!! its a shame its not around still.

I have fond memories of being perched in the front of the car listening to the old man and often one of his mates raving about the old tracks. I must say I do miss those days, and thanks to the VMX scene I saw a lot of this wonderful country.

I was in ore when i saw the track layout of the Aussie Titles in SA (Barossa Valley) I think 1995-96, my memory is slightly hazy on the exact year! im sure someone will correct me.! but, that was a magical track.

It had undulation and fantastic natural terrain table top through a creek bed, amazing. Jason Dunstall won the Pre 75 250 class and was still at his peak in those days on a modern bike. He was whipping the Elsinore over the table top, i still have the photos somewhere:)

The club put on a fantastic show afterwards at one of the wineries :)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:58 pm »

The club put on a fantastic show afterwards at one of the wineries :)

Yeah I've still got a headache  :D and I bet if #8 is reading this he would also relate to that ;D

Stan.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:23 pm »
I was in ore when i saw the track layout of the Aussie Titles in SA (Barossa Valley) I think 1995-96, my memory is slightly hazy on the exact year! im sure someone will correct me.! but, that was a magical track.
It was indeed a great track at Tanunda in '95. That was the last motocross Nats I rode so it has some sentimentality. I tweaked my knee coming out of the creek in pre 70 moto 2 and the knee still gives me shit to this day....four operations later and a replacement coming soon. I remember the banquet in the big marquee and getting on the piss with Alby Iskra and Mick Murnane later in town. I recall there were two overseas racers....Rick Doughty riding the then late GE's bikes and Kurt Gustaffson from Sweden on his genuine GP Monark pre 65er.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

xrBarf

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »
Hey Firko, funny you say last Nats you rode. It was my first and talked into by Mick Murnane. I will never forget it as I broke my coxick bone in that creek. Yep broken ass. Had a local anesetic at the doctors on Sunday morn and had all worn off by lunch. Won't ever forget that drive home to Melbourne...I blamed the bar at the back of seat on the tm125.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »
It was indeed a great track at Tanunda in '95. That was the last motocross Nats I rode so it has some sentimentality. I tweaked my knee coming out of the creek in pre 70 moto 2 and the knee still gives me shit to this day....four operations later and a replacement coming soon. I remember the banquet in the big marquee and getting on the piss with Alby Iskra and Mick Murnane later in town. I recall there were two overseas racers....Rick Doughty riding the then late GE's bikes and Kurt Gustaffson from Sweden on his genuine GP Monark pre 65er.

Forgive me if im wrong, but i do believe you had a very original little Husqvarna 125 present there aswell, i remember the old man drewling over it at the hotel?? im not sure if you rode it or not:):):)
Cheers

Nada

albrid-3

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
That year my cz 400, my rider Mick Moran from Colac got 2rd overall in the Australian Titles, I kepted fixing it all weekend, my restored cotton wouldn`t run so it was parked and concentated on the 400, great weekend.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:56 am »
Forgive me if im wrong, but i do believe you had a very original little Husqvarna 125 present there aswell, i remember the old man drewling over it at the hotel?? im not sure if you rode it or not:)
Youre forgiven ;D.I've never owned a 125 Husky..I rode my 350 Maico in pre 70 and GE's YZ360A in pre 75 500 but opted not to ride the YZ after practice as Doughty wanted to ride it. That suited me as one bike per meeting was about my fitness level. ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »
Farliegh Castle

albrid-3

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »
Brad Lewis owned that Husqvarna 125

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »
Gee..what a suprise...none of you east of the rabbit proof fence want to come and ride with us on the west side of the island..!! come on ...bring your sand tyres and get over here.. ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »
OK Brian.....Manjimup ;D

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:30 pm »
Gee..what a suprise...none of you east of the rabbit proof fence want to come and ride with us on the west side of the island..!! come on ...bring your sand tyres and get over here.. ;D

I would love to, as I love riding in the sand pits:):):) but its just the cost in getting there:(:(:(
Cheers

Nada