Author Topic: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?  (Read 24440 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »
I would like the GP winners from 1970 to 1980 250cc
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes would you like VMX to feature?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »
I would like to see more build ups, frankenbikes and race/ride resto's rather than checkbook resto's.  Some of those shiny unobtainable concourse resto's get a bit boring after a while.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:25 pm »
 I would like to see more dirt track machines and race pics, short circuit dirt, old and classic long track dirt, pommy grass track and American dirt track, events.
pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »
Anything,as long as we have some good shed shot's.Thats half the character.  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:10:05 pm »
AND some more in depth info, like when they do the resto how about some detail, you know, where they got what, who painted stuff or how it was done, pics of the build under way, that sort of stuff.

AND, some tech articles from the gun tuners of the day, i am sure some of them are still around and would love the exposure and we'd all learn something from them.

cheers,
kt

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »
All good points raised too. Reading the history of the bike is great but I'd REALLY like to hear more from the owners on their build ups, rather than by a 3rd person "authority". ::)
I'd also like to read some "how to" articles as well as some interviews of Aussies that raced overseas in Europe and the USA. Racers like Rob Scott, Heffo etc must have some great stories to tell of their racing exploits OS!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:58:58 pm by TeeBone »
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »
I would like to see more about Australia and New Zealand vmxers and shed project, you know the average jo blow, that makes VMX
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:50:36 am by Dave #6 »

Curly3

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »
Hagon"s, Elstar's, Godden's, Antig's, drop the X but do I need to go on?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:21 am »
I think the focus has shifted too far to the exotics and glamour bikes.
The magazine used to regularly feature exotics AND run-of-the-mill bikes - the features on 'common' bikes were interesting and they had a strong element of being a 'buyer's guide', so you could know the strengths and weaknesses of a particular model (including race performance then/now, and how difficult they are to restore/live with).

These articles also gave the exotics some context - when virtually every feature bike is an exotic, it's easy to grow numb to their brilliance.

The Blokes and Sheds section isn't about blokes and sheds anymore, it now seems to be more about the richest bloke with the most valuable collection of lifeless garage queens.
I mean, it's interesting to know about these collections, but they get very repetitive after a while. I'd be infinitely more interested to see an article on Doc's or Jimson's sheds, for example.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 09:32:10 am »
Feck buy a lotto ticket I'm with Dave #6 and Nathan S you 2 gentleman have hit it on the head.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:34:33 am by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:53:10 am »
Anything home engineered, made by hand stuff.

Most magazines have become an advertorial these days.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
I think the focus has shifted too far to the exotics and glamour bikes.
The magazine used to regularly feature exotics AND run-of-the-mill bikes - the features on 'common' bikes were interesting and they had a strong element of being a 'buyer's guide', so you could know the strengths and weaknesses of a particular model (including race performance then/now, and how difficult they are to restore/live with).

These articles also gave the exotics some context - when virtually every feature bike is an exotic, it's easy to grow numb to their brilliance.

The Blokes and Sheds section isn't about blokes and sheds anymore, it now seems to be more about the richest bloke with the most valuable collection of lifeless garage queens.
I mean, it's interesting to know about these collections, but they get very repetitive after a while. I'd be infinitely more interested to see an article on Doc's or Jimson's sheds, for example.

Hear hear average Joes as Dave says bring it on  :)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:41:41 am »
  As nice as they are the botoxed bling -bling bike's do get a bit monotonous after a while ! i like to see race bike's with   battlescar's , past & present heroes  as well as average blokes (oz & os) bikes and stories and how they had them set-up  etc also to a lot of motocrossers shortcircuit (and flattrack) was a big part of their lives , racing both disiplines whenever they could -  Would be good to see more articles on it .   Also " How To's "  as the saying goes "if ya ain't still learnin' ya dead"  :)

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »
Maybe there could be a once-a-year reader resto edition seperate to the regular VMX mag where there is pics and a little story of the bikes. Like evryone is saying, get it back to the bare roots of blokes and gals with different levels of restoration's covering all era's in their sheds. Dunno what it would cost, but it wouldn't necissarily have to be a high end full gloss type thing. Even if it was like $20, once a year it would probably sell. Why don't we have a poll to see what everyone thinks?

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

albrid-3

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
I`am with that idea, get back to the grass roots of the day when vmx started, when the enthausiam was high.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:58:06 pm by Dave #6 »