Author Topic: Frame finishing  (Read 2939 times)

maxvmx

Frame finishing
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »
 :-\Hi All,
Has anyone had any success with applying clear coat directly over un prepped bare steel? I have a frame on a build I'm doing that would be unjust to paint or powder coat, my intention is to treat it in a clear coating but I don't know of a product or process that would do it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:44:29 pm by maxvmx »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Frame finishing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:24:14 pm »
It's a bit hard to see in the photos but Frank Stanborough has clear powdercoated the Mojo frame on his Matchless. It turned out really nice except for a couple of places where there must have been a bit od moisture and a tiny bit of surface rust has appeared. If you want I'll find out where he got it done.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »
I've considered clear powder coating but the problem is that unless it's been blasted the sub straight won't allow adhesion
Well, it's adhered quite beautifully on Franks frame. He wanted Mark Janninks superb brazing and workmanship to be a showpoint of the bike.
Have a look at the Harris frame to get an idea why frank couldn't allow himself to paint over the work http://www.mojomotorbikes.co.uk/harris.html

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:34:33 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:25 pm »
Was frank's frame sanblasted first Firko?
Ideally you would get it sandblasted straight before powdercoating, depends on what finish you want on the raw metal, if you don't want the blasted finish then you'll need someone who can clean it off properly, bake it to remove all moisture, then powdercoat ASAP. 
Finding a powdercoater that has the patience to do it in the right process is the secret, but you'll pay for it.
Where are you Max?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »
Was frank's frame sanblasted first Firko?
No Steve it was just meticulously cleaned and prepared. Blasting it would have negated the finish Frank wanted, showing off the welds and finish as in the above photos. I believe it was coated in a satin clear which looks just like the bare metal. It looks great except for the two small areas when the preparation might not have been as good as it should have been. Luckily they're for the most part hidden by the seat and side panels.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:40 pm »
    There's a metal/polished alloy clearcoat put out by POR 15 called "Glisten' ive never used it but have used a fair bit of their other gear and found it good tuff stuff - maybe someones used it ? 

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:24:24 pm »
Totally agree'd, that finish looks awesome.
All depends on what look you're after and how dedicated you & your powdercoater are.
Have to admit, I' can braze okay but it takes 2 steady hands to achieve those welds.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:31 am »

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:34 am »
Brian Curtis asked if I wanted my frame acid etched (to clean the braze flux off) then clear coated so the frame could be seen in all it's glory.  (His son does powder coating and could do it, the powder coater I also use does clear coats)

I wish I have been braver.... I went for chrome plating ~ you can still see the quality in in his craft ~ the brazing is every bit as good as Mark's.  When Pat French saw my frame at the platers, he was all over it like a rash, asking who had made it.  For Pat French to say that speaks volumes for Brian's work....

Road racers use wire wool to scrub the frame and whilst scrubbing the use a light oil to lightly coat rge tubes to offer some protection.  Save any excess weight what so ever.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »
Drag racers clear coat their bare frames so that any damage can be spotted by scrutineers.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »
I have a couple of tools that were translucent colour powder coated over chrome to give a cadny apple effect. Chips off in hard wear areas over time but otherwise holds up well.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »
Max you can get an etch primer that is clear which would do the job, l can find out a brand if you wish.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
I have some stuff called Rustlac, its a clear primer that goes on anythig and dries hrd as. got it of a bloke that works painting ships.
Dont know if it would be quite the finish your after but label reads-
Manufactured by Auto Rustlac, 249 Toombul Rd, Northgate QLD.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »
I've considered clear powder coating but the problem is that unless it's been blasted the sub straight won't allow adhesion
Well, it's adhered quite beautifully on Franks frame. He wanted Mark Janninks superb brazing and workmanship to be a showpoint of the bike.
Have a look at the Harris frame to get an idea why frank couldn't allow himself to paint over the work http://www.mojomotorbikes.co.uk/harris.html

Now this guy CAN weld!!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:58 pm »
They call that look of welding penny stacking in the states,
they do it with tigs on alloy you will see it on white brother swing arms from the states
 you need to be counting your rod dips spot on into the malt,
to get that look ,its around a two second rule 8)