Author Topic: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014  (Read 112741 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Troy Bayliss Classic 2013 and 2014
« Reply #315 on: January 21, 2014, 10:03:50 am »
Good work Graeme, except for my whinge about selfish Quikshade hogs everything about TBC was outstanding. The import riders were outstanding and a credit to the sport. Wouldn't it be great to see USA V Australia test matches like they used to do in speedway against the Poms? Also what chance is there of including a twins class next year? Because of available numbers it might be worth running an Old School Twins class, I know of four bikes (including mine) that would definitely support it and I'm sure you and I could rally up another six or eight without too much trouble. It'd be an asset to the program just for the sound alone but with seriously decent riders on board these big bikes I reckon they'd be as entertaining as all hell.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
How was the Evo class invites handled?
Was it Penrith boys only, what is the story?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
Speaking of the Evo class....how did Purple Dave scrub up? He had a bit of a hard tumble off the SC500 near where I was spectating.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2014, 03:30:02 pm »
How was the Evo class invites handled?
Was it Penrith boys only, what is the story?
Yes Dave it was organised by Roy Gay.
While we're on the subject something needs to be done to improve that class, they were pretty slow to watch. I'm not in agreeance with the $10 crap tyres they're running, they need better trials or dirt track tyres and a better quality field or we'll be the class that gets dumped next year! We are supposed to be showcasing our sport, the quality of some of the bikes was pretty ordinary. There's a truck load of fast old guys and trick bikes in this country that'd really be worth watching. It's an International race not a club day, all the other classes have quality fields.
Many people are complaining about watching the mini bikes but by comparison the 9-13 yo 65's were a second a lap faster than the Evos!

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »
Well 9 aust classic dirt track titles dosen't get you an invite , what hope have you got .
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2014, 03:53:33 pm »
Well 9 aust classic dirt track titles dosen't get you an invite , what hope have you got .
You won 9 gdr? If so I guess you should be a definite starter!

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2014, 03:54:55 pm »
No not me ,my son inlaw Ray Stevens
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2014, 04:12:59 pm »
Maybe that meeting wasn't the correct showcase for the Evo class. The bikes selected were a bit of a dogs breakfast of classes, presentation and rider ability, we all know that, with a few notable exceptions they weren't a good cross section of the Evo community but I guess Roy did his best ::). I'm shocked that little kids on 65's were quicker than grown ups on open class motocrossers. I'd have rather seen some demo races by some of the big Harley, Triumph, Yamaha and whatever 750 class bikes with pro riders on board. It'd have had more relevance to what the meeting was about. Maybe next year we can get these bikes onto the program proper.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2014, 04:24:11 pm »
Hopefully we can do something to improve it Firko. Not knocking Roy cos he's done a good job to get us included and on the track.
I checked Mylaps for lap times cos I had a hunch the minis were quicker...

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »
Speaking of the Evo class....how did Purple Dave scrub up? He had a bit of a hard tumble off the SC500 near where I was spectating.

I'm fine Mark.........the bike took most of the impact........broke the clutch lever, but had a spare, so things were sweet.....I wish I'd been allowed to run my Mitas 2 Plys......the front just gave way and down I went......however, I was out real wide......later Masa lost it in the same place.......maybe it was too slick out there........
To some , my performance might have seemed ordinary, but I was only drafted in a few days before the event, due to an injury........I replaced No 333, Wayne Lorenzi, who was listed in the program. My bike is Pre Evo and I did not ride at the practice day earlier.........I was gating well, but in my first 2 starts, had to run onto the grass to avoid riders getting WAY OFF line...........by my 3rd and 4th start, the track had got quite bumpy in turn 1 and the SC 500 suspension and poor tyres meant I had to take it carefully, or end up in the Emergency Clinic !!
Having said that, the interest shown in my bike and the other Evos was ENORMOUS, throughout the day, and speaking to Troy, he was very happy with our input to the meeting..........
I agree with you Mark, the addition of Old School Twins next year is a must.......I'm sure Troy will agree......
I was just happy to return to this great track after 40 years absence and be a part of this WONDERFUL event and I can't thank Roy Gay enough for the late call up......... ;D ;D ;D
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »
Troy and I have had the Twins conversation.
We just need the Airfence at the pit corner
That is for another conversation
On my way to Sydney Airport to send my Japanese friend home.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »
I wasn't there to see it, but let's be honest - 30 year old bikes, many (most?) with drum brakes, with trials tyres ridden by blokes probably in their 50s are not gonna cut it speed wise against pretty much anything else. The Evo class would be for interests sake only really. If you want fast old bikes, let them run anything pre 85 or pre 90 with open slather on wheels/tyres and hire some young guns...

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »
I wasn't there to see it, but let's be honest - 30 year old bikes, many (most?) with drum brakes, with trials tyres ridden by blokes probably in their 50s are not gonna cut it speed wise against pretty much anything else. The Evo class would be for interests sake only really. If you want fast old bikes, let them run anything pre 85 or pre 90 with open slather on wheels/tyres and hire some young guns...
I don't agree at all, plenty of 50yo guys on Evo bikes can put in quick laps on a dirt track. The tyres were a factor but that can be fixed along with a quality field of bikes.
I've battled on oil and clay with good guys on modern bikes and I was on a CR250M running methanol..

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:45 pm »
Methanol was not allowed,
In the field was the current evo 250 aust Champ and he did not win over all so make of that what you will,
I think the tire issue was a big part of the lack of speed.
noboddy I spoke to was at all confident with unpredictable grip!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:42 pm »

I'm fine Mark.........the bike took most of the impact........broke the clutch lever, but had a spare, so things were sweet.....I wish I'd been allowed to run my Mitas 2 Plys......the front just gave way and down I went......however, I was out real wide......later Masa lost it in the same place.......maybe it was too slick out there........
To some , my performance might have seemed ordinary, but I was only drafted in a few days before the event, due to an injury........I replaced No 333, Wayne Lorenzi, who was listed in the program. My bike is Pre Evo and I did not ride at the practice day earlier.........I was gating well, but in my first 2 starts, had to run onto the grass to avoid riders getting WAY OFF line...........by my 3rd and 4th start, the track had got quite bumpy in turn 1 and the SC 500 suspension and poor tyres meant I had to take it carefully, or end up in the Emergency Clinic !!
Having said that, the interest shown in my bike and the other Evos was ENORMOUS, throughout the day, and speaking to Troy, he was very happy with our input to the meeting..........
I agree with you Mark, the addition of Old School Twins next year is a must.......I'm sure Troy will agree......
I was just happy to return to this great track after 40 years absence and be a part of this WONDERFUL event and I can't thank Roy Gay enough for the late call up......... ;D ;D ;D
Good onya Alvin!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!