Author Topic: Leaky float  (Read 1179 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Leaky float
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »
Just discovered I've got a holey brass float on my 465 & need to seal it up quickly so I can travel up to Taupo tomorrow, don't think I have any means of soldering up the hole at the moment
Would knead it work for 1 meeting or am I going to need to find someone who can fix it properly in the morning?

oldfart

Re: Leaky float
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »
Better off doing it properly by soldering up the hole. With all the vibrations going on down there it Might fall off and spoil the day.
Contact  "Hone Heke"  I don't think he's taking his Rm 465 with him  ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:25:40 pm by oldfart »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »
Is he scared I might want some skin back from him after our last race together?  ;D

Will try using my small soldering iron that I normally use on wiring but doubt it puts out enough heat to get the solder to stick

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:26:18 pm »
Google the melting point of soft solder and warm it up in the oven to a slightly lower temp then get stuck in with your soldering iron.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:47:59 pm »
Try not to add any solder as it increases the weight of the float.
I've put several good floats in petrol to see how high they float. I've done the same with a few repaired ones, some I did, some others had done.

All the repaired ones floated low and some even had one float sink.

It doesn't take much to change the floating height. I chased float level problems for a few months till I worked out what was happening.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »
problem is you need to heat the whole float up t get the solder to stick, when you do the air inside expands and tries to force the float halves apart as the solder melts. It happens very quickly. I tried for an hour or so and then went and raided another carby. Try super glue first.
Jesus only loves two strokes