Author Topic: magneto with lighting coil for '77 rm250b  (Read 2906 times)

silas

magneto with lighting coil for '77 rm250b
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows of any magneto and flywheel with a lighting coil that will bolt into my '77 RM250b. Looking at all the other suzuki models there must be one that will fit with little modification required. I have heard that similar year pe250 magneto and flywheel might work. Anyone here ever done this?

maxvmx

Re: magneto with lighting coil for '77 rm250b
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
Why?

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »
might save a lot of work using something like these ;)

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=categories&id=87

silas

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:07 pm »
main reason of changing stator is to add a headlight.
I checked the cyclops site, perhaps I should call them as they offer nothing for suzuki application online. Thanks for the lead.
I have emailed a few of these aftermarket high output stator suppliers and have had zero response.
 have seen quite a few of the earlier ts and tm stator and flywheel for good prices on the ebay. Wondering if one of them might have the same taper for flywheel mount and still fit under the mag cover.
Probably should be able to find a new aftermarket one that will suit my needs, has anyone added lights to their vintage RM? or does this defeat the purpose of having a mx racer and is largely considered unnecessary for that application.

My goal is to build up my RM as a bit of a trail/enduro bike, 34mm carb, perhaps a custom pipe for more even range of power.

Any more input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:44 pm »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »
It would be easier to buy a PE250B....thats why they made them. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:12:11 pm »
It would be easier to buy a PE250B....thats why they made them. ;)
Indeed. the PE250B engine _is_ the RM250B engine - mainly the left case and lh crank to suit the magneto.
I'd be picking up a PE250B/C engine and dropping it in...

silas

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:53:21 pm »
OK, so the rm250b and pe250b engine are essentially the same. I was curious because the suzuki part numbers for the lh crank are different on each model, perhaps there is a small difference somewhere? I believe the magneto covers are the same. So the pe250 magneto and magneto flywheel should bolt right on to my rm250b, sounds easy enough.

Unfortunately, I do not have spare motors and such laying around, the local junkyard here is full of snowmachines, quads and various other metal scrap. My rm250 was the most complete bike in the pile, complete frame, motor, exhaust, swingarm, airbox and filter. no shocks,no tank,no bars, no wheels carb or electrics. Amazingly the motor had never been apart and the cylinder is within factory specs as original.

I live in a really remote place, our supplies are flown in and we have an annual ship supply. I was lucky and found a donor for parts and had all the necessary  big bits shipped up on the boat. collected most of everything else i need from  ebay, with a few mistakes here and there getting ready to split cases, replace bearings, seals, piston and rings. Original piston was stuck in the cylinder but was eased out after a week soaking in diesel.

I noticed a PE250 motor in classifeds here for $150 wonder how much it would cost to ship up here.

Thanks for the advice

Silas

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
The ign cover is wider on the PE to acommodate the big flywheel, the crank is also longer for this reason, I'm pretty sure you cant fit the flywheel onto the RM crank. Where abouts are you? Alaska? Put the PE motor straight in the RM frame, everything hooks up.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »
The ign cover is wider on the PE to acommodate the big flywheel, the crank is also longer for this reason, I'm pretty sure you cant fit the flywheel onto the RM crank. Where abouts are you? Alaska? Put the PE motor straight in the RM frame, everything hooks up.
that is one of the things that is different..
the taper on that left-side crank is for the PE magneto and keyway.

just get a PE250 engine and drop it in..
futile to waste time trying to turn an RM into a PE, when the PE is readily available.
I vaguely recall the cases on the PE had a smidgeon extra clearance for the larger gearing too.

silas

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 02:08:06 am »
I guess I'll just go without lights for now.
Thanks for the insight.
Now i wont buy the first pe250 magneto that shows up to find it doesn't fit.
Cheers