Author Topic: Ballards Plastic Renew  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
Ballards Plastic Renew
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
I'm sure this been asked a million times but is the ballards plastic renew the best way to polish up a plastic tank.

Mines white and has gone quite yellow along where the pipe runs.

Will this take away the yellow or is there a better method?
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ballards Plastic Renew
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »
No.
plastic renew won't take the yellow out of your white tank, most of that is from the fuel/oil mix vapours leaching through the plastic over a number of years, the discolouring usually goes through the entire thickness of the plastic.
The final glossy layer of the renew is just a coating (similar to armour all, but a bit tougher) and washes off when it comes in contact with fuel.
It does a good job of the rest of the plastic on the bike though.....but's a lot of hard work. It's fairly expensive and is sometimes easier just to buy some new plastics if avaliable.
For the tank, easiest way to get it back white is a sticker kit.
What bike is it?

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:06 pm »
No.
plastic renew won't take the yellow out of your white tank, most of that is from the fuel/oil mix vapours leaching through the plastic over a number of years, the discolouring usually goes through the entire thickness of the plastic.
The final glossy layer of the renew is just a coating (similar to armour all, but a bit tougher) and washes off when it comes in contact with fuel.
It does a good job of the rest of the plastic on the bike though.....but's a lot of hard work. It's fairly expensive and is sometimes easier just to buy some new plastics if avaliable.
For the tank, easiest way to get it back white is a sticker kit.
What bike is it?

It is a yz125d

I am waiting on plastics from Maxwell
I got a full sheet sticker from VMX unlimited (I got it next day unbelievable service) for the tank.

I was hoping to get it bit better but I will clean it and add the full sheet sticker

You have saved me killing myself trying anyway!!!

Thanks for the advise

Paul

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

I am waiting on plastics from Maxwell
I got a full sheet sticker from VMX unlimited (I got it next day unbelievable service) for the tank.

Madness!
If you look at the VMX Unlimited website, you'll notice that they offer front and rear guards for YZ-D/E/Fs that are described as "exact reproductions".
They are SO much better than the DC Plastics ones - probably the best repro plastics available for any old bike.

VMX-U also sell new white tanks, if you're prepared to spend the money. I assume they're Clarke ones, which I believe are good but not perfect.

It's supposed to be possible to bleach old white tanks back to white.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:46:37 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »
I've got the Concorse plastics in stock, only a few sets left and that maybe the last you'll see of them as as I understand it, there tooling is worn and damaged and the cost to repair may negate the remanufacture of more guards.....as Nathan says, they are the best by a country mile. PM me if you want some....have yellow and white.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:59:52 pm by Davey Crocket »
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »
...or troll ebay 'til some NOS plastics come up.
I have never had any good DC stuff, and won't even buy it now. I would rather wait till some clean second hand stuff comes up on ebay.
Have you had a search done on Yamaha dead stock list for plastics?

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »
I've heard that soaking the white tanks in bleach for a couple of days (inside & out) will restore the white. Don't tnow of anyone who has tried this but perhaps someone here might be able to comment.
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »
Extremely limited success with bleaching or hydrogen peroxide treaments of Acerbis white tanks on Husky's. By all means scrape with a blade to get the outer layers off and then sand and polish. Then fit a full cover perforated white decal and cut out for the colored decal or fit a full coverage kit from MXM or the like. Comes up a treat but is not OEM original of course.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
I ordered a full set from maxwell as vmx unlimited were out of stock on some parts.
I assume they are DC

Hope they look ok when they arrive