Author Topic: what is a 360 EL MONTADERO  (Read 7944 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
what is a 360 EL MONTADERO
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
Is it a dirttracker? would it run ok round nepean?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: what is a 360 EL MONTADERO
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
They were actually classed as registerable trail bikes back in the late 60' early 70's and were based on the El Bandido which was the racing version suitable for American flatrack and TT. There were two models that came to Australia,known as MK1 and MK2,overall just different colours,white/black and red/white.

If you are familiar with Bultaco engine layout then these are different. The primary drive is gear driven not chain with a simple slipper clutch arrangement on the crank shaft  to turn the clutch hub. The gearchange is rhs but kickstart is also rhs and larger diameter spline.From my knowledge all El bandidos and montadero's had the same engine and some models did not come to Aust.

The gearbox internals(trust me I found out the hard way) are different from one model to another. Say model 51 to 81, I have an 81 which I have nearly finished a full restoration on.I could write a book longer than War and Peace about this project.In closing suitable for flattrack,I would say yes but they were known as being heavy.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
Is it a dirttracker? would it run ok
No and Yes. The Montadero is in effect the registerable version of the el Bandito. It'd make a great dirt tracker.

A Bandito set up for dirt track.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
All the Bandito and Montadero models were imported into Australia.Model 17 was the first a 350 Bandito followed by the (M18)360 Bandito.This was also the basis for the M51 El Montadero(black/white with lights)These bikes all had close ratio gearboxes.
Next was the M61 (350) and M65(360) also close ratio.These bikes had a redesigned frame which moved the motor and footpegs forward some 70mm,repositioned the swingarm and cured the Bandito light front end which made it steer properly.These bikes had aluminium mudguards like the Montaderos.
The first true El Montadero (M70)had the redesigned frame and a wide ratio gearbox(4 speed). It also had the heaviest magneto flywheel(Electronic dual plug) ever fitted to a motorcycle,consequently it had broad smooth power.
The last Montadero (M81) was in effect the same as the model 70 except for a new exhaust,airfilter,seatcover,front wheel driven speedo,compression release,bash plate.They also decided to lighten the flywheel.It was also wide ratio. (too wide !)
All the models(from memory) had the same cylinder(M18) except the M81 which gained a pair of finger ports like the pursangs of the time.
 I have a M70 that I have ridden at Nepean and Coffs dirt track and it is a fun bike to ride,they go well and the later ones as mentioned handle well.The Montadero ratios (wide) are not really suited to dirt track or motocross and gear changes must be done correctly when racing or else! Even when stripped down they are a heavy bike. It is a unique bike(they made about 1K of them).Whenever I ride it I am always laughing inside my helmet!

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
Great info there, I'll be archiving that, except for one fine point. The correct name is EL BANDIDO as the gang is named unfortunately. Bandito is Mexican slang for learner criminals who aren't the real deal.

Interesting point, my model 81 does not have a compression release and really needs one because of high compression.I will be drilling and tapping the head so I can kick it over.

In my opinion the white/ black colours scheme are the glamour boys and Montadero means "mounting stone". Lastly Metralla which I also have means "sub machine gun".Some unkind jealous people reckon it means "shrapnel or grapeshot". Those blokes need to be reminded how the Spanish showed the how  to make a bike handle, electrics, well you only need one wire from the magneto to the coil.

I have carried on enough I think for tonight. Cheers to all  and VIVA.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
There is one ebay at the moment "setup" for dirt track I was looking at down in Vic, now he says it a 1970 model and can run in pre-70?? how does that work as I would to ride at Nepean.
Dono
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
The first model is known as a Model 51, 360cc they were apparently produced from 1968--1971. So to confirm, ask him the engine/frame number they both should be the same number. The ebay bike has got the wrong tank,it shouldn't be let out of the shed looking like that.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
All the Bandido's / Montadero's are legal for pre 70,as they are basically the same as the original 1968 Model 18.

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Thanks fellas, got a budget to work off, see how it travels. As for the tank well that can always be changed. ;D
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
107, I wouldn't put a compression release in the head even though there is a flat area cast in the head for it. All the M81 heads I have are cracked between the compression release and the spark plug.
Move your kick start forward on the spline so it sits at about 45 degrees to the side case.I tickle the Amal well when cold and wind it over once or twice to prime it and then with a good kick it has always started first kick.In the nearly twenty years I have owned it I have never had to push start it.It always starts first kick or on a bad day second kick.For a Bultaco its a freak.Touch wood !

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »
Thanks Moto,I think I'll take your advice,somewhere I read about the cracked heads and I don't want to tempt fate.I have spent enough time and money resurrecting this Bully and don't want to try chase up more parts.

Thanks again.MARTIN