Author Topic: Barn find myth  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Barn find myth
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
I have always been a bit sceptic of these barn find come suburban myths, seen one tonight, converted to a beliver

I Reckon I have only seen the half of it.  When they know what they want to do ill post some pictures up if they'll let me take some.

Farrkkkk. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:23:27 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Barn find myth
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
fork me I wish you would put more effort into your words/ spelling/ English. Shits me having to decipher what you are trying to say. Of course  I basically understand that there were some old expensive bikes found in an old guys house which is a cool find. Tell 'em you'll give them a grand for the lot.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:39 pm »
Best way is to sell them on their behalf and take a percentage as you know what they are worth and how to market them...

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:28:51 pm »
They are out there still I am onto a few at the moment but you don't count the chickens before they hatch.

I am in a good job for finding stuff work in so many houses and talk to so many people some of the stuff we see is amazing some stuff your not interested in but others would die for.

That is how I found my charger we rounded a corner we had been around so many times before it would be 100's of times but for some reason I was looking out the side of the window a direction I had never looked before and there it was jaw drop moment next day went and spoke to the old bloke took a few months but I got it. :)

I'd never do the wrong thing by some one but there are heaps that would take an advantage of situations like that freaky tell them that they are worth a bit now and tell them what you reckon you could get and see what they are happy to sell them to you for so every one is happy.

1971 tm400 and PE's

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:20:48 am »
Will I'm going to put that too them brad but was thinking of asking them what you want to archive  and ill guarantee that .  You keep all the money from sale and I get to keep one of the bikes. :D

I think the best way to market them specially with the crated ones would be to drip feed them to Shannon's or one of the big auction houses and get world wide coverage. I only have A ruff idea but conservatively they would have to be worth 20k each even in a soft market, so based on the 10, I could make out its going to take some serious money handling and I don't wanna be messed up in that

So do they want to document what they have and keep a record of it  ???

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:11:30 am »
i was helping a mate sell some stuff for a mate of his.it got all to hard after selling 3 bikes i just gave up it was costing me money and i was not getting anything in return.they still have all the bikes sitting in the garage.
jim

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
I digress with you Jim, a mate has just gone through the same.....sorted out the shit, got buyers for most of the expensive stuff (where talking 25K items) and when he wanted to buy something for a fair price basically got a kick in the teeth. The worst thing is people keep feeding them bullshit  about what stuffs worth.....it might have been 3 or 4 years ago but not now. Good luck freaky.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:51 am »
I digress with you Jim, a mate has just gone through the same.....sorted out the shit, got buyers for most of the expensive stuff (where talking 25K items) and when he wanted to buy something for a fair price basically got a kick in the teeth. The worst thing is people keep feeding them bullshit  about what stuffs worth.....it might have been 3 or 4 years ago but not now. Good luck freaky.

Spot on Joan , theres always plenty of pricks with opinions of what everythings worth  ::) and of course same pricks have no intention of buying anything  >:(

Its the same on here and other forums ( and i admit im as guilty as anyone else of it ) when some poor sod has somthing for sale or post a link to somthing for sale. There they are rubbishing the fork out of it while having neither the intention or the means to buy it  ::)

In saying that Freakys barn find is probably not worth a lot in real terms  ;) ole freaky when hes buying its worth fork all but when hes selling its gold plated platinum  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:51:16 am by TM bill »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:55 am »
I recently became aware of a pretty serious barn find of a pair of holy grail Maicos. This pair had literally been sitting in a horse barn since the seventies and needed total restoration. I made what I considered a fair market value offer for both of them through a third party but the seller knocked back the offer, believing that they were worth quite a lot more. I suspect that this was one of those situations where people had been pissing in the guys pocket, telling him that he was sitting on a gold mine and that they were worth serious money. They might indeed be worth the big dollars in restored or even running condition but as they were they were 2.5k bikes tops (each). Sadly, the bikes will probably sit for as long as it takes for their owner to realise that the prices on pre '75 bikes have flattened and won't be rising to his expectations any time soon.

Sorry for being so cryptic about the bikes details but I was put onto them them by another forum member and I don't want to spill the beans without his permission. :-X
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:26:46 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 11:41:31 am »
Its topics like this where Dave's input is missed. J

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:53:26 pm »
Its topics like this where Dave's input is missed. J

only if you know what his handle is for that hour !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:28:27 pm »
My latest barn find early 4 speed  ossa  looks alot better in the Photo than it is

Lot of problems to fix Recond with the old silver frost paint forks and all

After 3hrs trip offered more than a fare price   ??? Answer the Guy in the bike shop said it worth three times my offer. Good luck with that

As you say Firko just get a over priced value from some wanker  

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:30:21 pm by VMX60 »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »
FREAKY
few Mike hailwoods, goldstars and SS900/750 still in oiriginal frazer crates. and im talking multiples of the same model...............
 2x hailwoods new 90-100k
2 x goldstars new dbd34 type 60-90k
2 x ducati round case ss900/750 90-100k
6 bikes nos in creates half a mill at least
good luck with this
there was a find like this in belguim not to long ago

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
I've seen it happen on this forum... I offered what I knew was a fair amount on a ~$3k bike. Got knocked back with a slightly tetchy tone, and the seller advertised it for a grand more "because the gurus said that's what it is worth".
Then the price dropped progressively until it sold on EBay for almost exactly what I offered.

But apparently I was the stooge by offering a quick, no bullsh sale?!

That said, forums are a crap place to sell good/running/non-project bikes.
I've lost count of the number of times I've failed to sell stuff despite hitting all o the old bike forums hard. Put 'em on eBay, and you'll get a sale (often before the auction ends...).

???
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.