Author Topic: Barn find myth  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Barn find myth
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »
Fair enough.
I bought The Boy a PW50 tonight. Could have had it for $400, but she seemed desperate so I gave her $450 - I have no problem screwing down the greedy and the stupid, but I knew the $50 meant more to her than it meant to me. *shrugs*

Then I wondered if she went to buy drugs, and the warm inner glow disappeared pretty quickly.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »
* Back in the early 80's I was visiting a drag racing mate in Cowra, NSW and he took me to a local farm to check out the guy's "old dirt bike collection". He wasn't home so we took a peak in his barn and I saw at least 80-100 British and Spanish dirt and road bikes. I can remember seeing (amongst other stuff) three Bultaco M11 (Metisses) in a row and a red pre unit Triumph Metisse. There was even a Honda 450 twin MX sidecar, something I found odd as there isn't any sidecar motocross in NSW. Not long after I lost touch of my "friend'' in Cowra when he went to gaol for dealing and never saw him or that farm again. I wonder if that stuff is still there?

* Which reminds me of the king of hoarders, Anthony Suttor from Eucharina, near Orange, NSW. Anyone who's ever been to his sheep property will know I'm not exaggerating when I say he'd have over 100 Bultaco's. Anthony was a regular racer and ran a fibreglass and upholstery business for the VMX industry called Vintage Dirt and was one of the sports real eccentrics. Unfortunately Anthony had a falling out with the sport that nobody understood but him and he faded from the scene. While I like Anthony and his lady Jennie, it bothers me no end to know that these bikes are being kept in a shearing shed and barn and nothing is happening with them.   
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »
They're around aren't they. A mate of mine knew a bloke out Wagga way who had a few old houses full of various road and dirt bikes from the 70s/80s. I think the guy ended up selling off a few or maybe most of them? I did meet him once but the memory is pretty vague now, not even sure where he lived. Makes you wonder just how many there are floating around. Some here may recall a story on telly not so long ago about a bloke who has about 100 old 70s muscle cars in a shed up the Gold Coast or somewhere.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 07:40:49 am »
The ones that really bother me are the "Bogan Pickers"

Guy comes to my shop scoping everything there but telling me how clever he is buying and selling CX500 Honda parts.  Anything he buys from all the various Allclassifieds and Gumtree's he wrecks back out to make money..  Never begrudge people making money but when he runs into a a Bultaco barn find it is all getting stripped and and sold.

Some may say whats wrong with that ..and I guess there is a point to having spares available facilitated by him but.... he is a germ...

Slowed him up a bit and made him think when I told him the Tax department are marrying eBay sales profiles to people and making home inspections to check GST compliance etc on these so called small businesses...

I guess to point to my rant is there is an undercurrent of trolls on the sales network that make the celebration of a "Barn find" a more rare event.....  ;)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 03:15:38 pm »
Guys,
I just "discovered" these two old girls in a shed In South Auckland.They don't mean much to a linkage bloke like me.But I can pick them up for the equaivalent of a crate of beer and twenty donuts (which the current owner can get through in five minutes)...what do you think??Or are they better off at the scrap dealers yard?

;D

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »
Forget the scrap dealer,Take them down to your local Marina and sell them as anchors :D ;D :o