Author Topic: Leftovers, Spares and Bitzas Bikes...  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Leftovers, Spares and Bitzas Bikes...
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:00:50 am »
Here's a thought. What examples of Aussie ingenuity do we have out there when it comes to making something of all the bits and pieces you've got lying around or found? Here's Tim754's version to start us off.

"This is a little SL70 bike I am constructing of leftovers and spare, spare parts. Basically an SL70 frame swing arm and rear wheel. SL125 frontend ,triple clamps cut and shut to fit , CT90 front wheel and rear shocks, Exhaust by scrap pile,  paint work seat cover and swing arm chain block doing now. Straight bolt in power by new Lifan 138cc that was taken as payment for some repairs I did, yep is ample go power.... and special stand extension ala VMX magazine..........."

Quicksilver

Re: Leftovers, Spares and Bitzas Bikes...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:12:02 am »
Here my attempt.
Made from junk and leftovers. Built using parts from  1977 XR75, XR100, XL75, SL175 twin, XL185S, KE100, Paint was also mixed from leftovers. Even the tyres are used from other bike. Only new parts were cables, seat cover, and maier plasitcs. Total investment in cash just under $300.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:26:12 am by Quicksilver »

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:09:50 pm »
Apart from my wife's CRF230 (which I am NOT allowed to touch) this sounds like all of my bikes ;)

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:28:24 pm »
Hi,

Here are picture of two bike that I have built up from bit.

The XT500 has been built from bits that have been collected over the last 10 years or so. Had problems getting registered, as when the police officer (you can do your rego throught the police in country SA) asked who I bought it from I replied with "what particular part"? When I explained that I had built it out of parts bought from swap meets, wreckers, friends and ebay he wouldn't register it. I took it to Regency Park (SA's main inspection station) and after explaining that all the bits, except the seat cover, hand grips, tyres, chain and sprokets were genuine Yamaha XT500 parts the inspector had no problems and passed it.  The plan is to do a full resto on this bike later in the year.

This is my Aberg replica.  I originally built this bike in 1980, using the rolling chassis of my '78 Husky 390 AMX (do I hear crys of sacrelige) and the engine from my 78 SR500 Yamaha.  I used to take the engine out of the SR on friday race the bike an the weekend and refit the engine back in the SR frame on Monday if I hadn't blown it up. I rode it in C grade MX and some enduros until about 1984. The bike was pulled down and stored in boxes until I reassembled it for CD2.  It currently has Yamaha IT front forks and one of my spare TT engines in it.  The bike won the award for Best Bitsa at last year's XT/TT 500 muster. I obtained another Husky frame last year, so I can build it up on the "new" frame and then rebuild the 390 AMX using it correct frame (one day when money allows).

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:49:55 pm »
I'll throw a picture up tomorrow, ,
the Evo 125 I race at the moment probably fits the bill,
It was left in my garage by son who move out as a  1978 IT 175 frame with a '74 TY175 motor in ti bent forks that would not move
etc,
It now has IT 175 frame, DT175 gearbox with 1981 IT 125 barrel and head, YZ piston , dt175 exhaust cut open debaffled,
and modified to come up the left hand side of the engine, home made  stinger and silencer,
DT rear wheel and brakes, TS185 front wheel and brakes, YZ125 E forks, XT250 rear shock,don't know what the carby is off, tyres came from a wreck at the tip, side covers from some sheets of plastic fround on throw out pile.

Lots of this bike came from things Nathan discarded :o ::)

cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:32:55 am by Noel »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:51 pm »
 Doc must've gone into a frothing, gibbering wreck by now. Carn Doc, spill your guts mate. You know you wanna.... :D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:15 pm »
Come everyone show us your parts bin guilty secrets, they may not please all the purists but bet they please you! Firko does the el cheapo Suzuki still breathe life? ... Colj500 nice collection but good grief somebody has put a bloody car in ya bike shed!! >:(
 Doc off  ya go ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:28:58 pm »
Honds XR200 in a KTM frame, pretty well built from parts laying around

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

firko

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »
Tim the el cheapo Suzuki still lives and I hoped to take it to CD5 but I'm taking 4 bikes as it is and I don't have any room for any more in the trailer so the Suzuki stays in the garden shed.

Doc

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:01:29 am »
 :D jeez..I'm at a loss..not many of my bikes aren't bitza's!  ::)

I think my best is yet to come but not till late in the year or maybe next. A mix of TM125 and about 42 reliable little ponies ;D

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:19:02 am »
heres mine its built out of z50 bits from bits from around several wreckers and a chinese power plant still needs work ie paint and finishing it still has some problems tho needs a new seat rusted and the tank leaks like a siv ive patched the holes silver solider but i will be replacing it
MUGEN power

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:34:07 am »

pictures of bike as described earlier,
cheers
Noel

Quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 04:48:20 pm »
This tread rocks... ;D Keep em coming boys.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 08:31:31 am »
Tim,

The car is a 1965 Honda S600. It justifies it's place in the bike collection through having a 600cc engine with 4 carbies and having chain final drive.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:57:19 am »
colj500
we had two of those hondas in the 70s a mint hardtop and a damaged soft top.dad and me cut the softtop up and it went to meani tip.had the s600 hardtop for a while but i preferred to drive the studebaker v8 not the very high reving honda.it was in 1975 my first car.