Author Topic: Advice on Welder Purchase  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Advice on Welder Purchase
« on: November 17, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
Need some advice on a Welder, my experience is from 35 years ago, can oxy weld/cut and arc weld to a good standard, have done a bit recently and still ok, so as retirement nears I am trying to set up the workshop so that when the fixed/limited income days come I will only need to buy supplies and parts.

Have got an oxy set with 35 year old bottles that are nearly empty, and was shocked at the price of setting up an account and hiring bottles. My arc welder is just that -- out of the Ark  ;D

Have got an old forge (still to be set up) so heating a bit of steel to do some bending should not be a problem, so oxy not required for that.  Would still need to "normalise" a frame where I weld on a tab or modify a footpeg mount or do a repair, with a bit of mucking 'round could do that in the forge, or could send the whole frame away for heat treatment/normalising ('bout $100 in Melb East Suburbs).

I'm lookin' at the all in one machines like:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160787728125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and would get a small argon bottle like:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251155887969

So, is this type of all in one machine a crappy solution?

Does anybody know if this type of machine:

1.   is ok for Tig on both alloy and stainless?

2.   uses shop air for the plasma cutter?

(I did ask the seller and they helpfully replied "please refer to our website", which I had already done but because I know so little 'bout the processes I was still confused)

Thanks

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Welder Purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
There have been a few threads on this subject so start with those. I'm not keen on these Chinese multi purpose machines. Yes Gas is robbery but you can now buy real size bottles from a few outlets and exchange them so no more rent. Aluminum welding is not really for the back yard type person but you can do a TIG course at tafe. I have one of these I purchased second hand and would suggest you look at these as not much goes wrong with them

CIG transtig 180 runs ok on 15 amp
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »
Thanks Slakewell, any pointers on where to buy the real size bottles?

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:39:40 pm »
i'd agree that to do Aluminium at home is a hassle and for that matter Tig at home can also be frustrating at times. if your used to the oxy then its still a good weld and has the bonus of being able to heat something which an all in one welder cant do.
use beer to bribe and befriend mates and your retirement will be undoubtedly enhanced ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:16:44 pm »
  . I have one of these I purchased second hand and would suggest you look at these as not much goes wrong with them

I used a Transtig 180 at work for years and taught myself how to weld aluminium on it. When the government kindly bought me a new Lincoln I bought the old Transtig. I eventually sold it to Yamaico Pete after something minor went wrong and he fixed it and it's still going like gangbusters. I'm looking to buy another one if anyone has one for sale.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:49:13 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:14:26 pm »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »
  Has anyone on here purchased a gas cylinder from this mob (SPEED GAS) I need to one for welding steel.  Just interested to know the cost of a cylinder to buy and also to refill.  Size E or G depending on price.  I can probably get this info for myself tomorrow but I'm just not good at waiting.
   I suppose the other thing I would like to know is if the product is worth the money.
                                                                                                                             Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:56:53 pm »
Last time I inquired it was about $300 for a large bottle of Argon

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »
Thanks Slakewell, I have sent them an email asking for a quote, I am keen to do anything that avoids rent when a cylinder should last me for years before a refill such that the rental makes it all out of reach

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:50 am »
Speedgas got back to me...

Hi Michael

It is $550 for a full G and $178 for the refill.

You will have to swap your empty in Sydney as well.

Thanks
Martin

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:49:31 am »
As most guys would only use a bottle a year it would still be cheaper than CIG

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »
A full G bottle would last most home TIG welders over a year I'd reckon. I've been holding off on investing in a TIG machine because of the rip off gas rental contracts so this idea would work out much cheaper in the long run.
Transtig 180's were actually made by Miller and I can buy a Miller equivalent much cheaper in the USA. Does anyone know how hard it'd be to convert the 110-120v US spec Miller welder over to Oz 240v spec?

Does anyone have one of those '4 in one' welders proposed by Gippslander?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-TIG-PULSE-INVERTER-WELDER-PLASMA-CUTTER-/321024569807?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item4abe8e31cf My worry with this unit is including a plasma cutter, stick welder and AC/DC TIG into the same machine seems to me to introduce more things to go wrong. The Plasma cutter is a great option but I've got oxy for cutting out stuff and I've already got my little CIG stick welder that I've had for 40 years so that's another option I wouldn't be needing. All I really want is a good, solid reliable AC/DC TIG welder without all of the bullshit for a good honest price, preferably under $1000.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »
Yep Firko, my stick welder is from the Ark but is welds good, I might look at the Tig units and the Plasma units, so I will have 3 items of equipment, what I was hoping for was someone to say, "yep I have one of those all in one machines and they are great, or, and they are crap", 'cause I been stung before with crap.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »
Firko I have the same machine without the plasma cutter, they do struggle on thick ali but pre heat the item and all is good. The only problem I have had with mine was a fan and that was replaced FOC by the ebay seller. The machine works a treat on DC and thin AC. No problems for 0.5mm ali flashing.
I used to get FZ(10m3) cylinders from a Air Liqude that lasted bloody ages, for $128 refill and $70 odd per year rental, then Air Liquide took over the accounts and you can all guess what happened  next, yes the rental went up to $170 and no more FZ's and in with the G size and price went up to $219 ................for 8m3  >:(
So buy the G size from Marty in 3 years it's paid for itself
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »
I have a multi purpose welder / plasma
 Ac dc tig and plasma cut. gets used a bit is 160 amp so a bit light for heavy alloy work ( swingarms etc. , but ok for most jobs, was a Chinese one and never given 1 problem.( 6 years use) they are very compact and convenient. You must use argon for welding with it and it makes a awesome job,I use a F bottle and a quality reg , it lasts quite a long time once set up. Highly recommended for bike work no mess welds
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:40:16 pm by asasin »
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT