Author Topic: New 'Paypal' scam?  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
New 'Paypal' scam?
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:26:50 pm »
I've been getting some emails lately from 'Paypal' which I suspect are phishing efforts. The gist is that you have made a small payment to the Euro ebay site via Paypal but if there is a problem then you are supposed to click on the link provided to cancel the transaction. I didn't follow the link and I suspect its aimed at getting access to your paypal details. I checked my account and theres no history of any such payment. The whole page looks good and a lot like the ebay invoice page. The address is [email protected]....(DONT click on this hyperlink anyway :o)
 Maybe I'm wrong but it would pay to be cautious. Enlighten me if I'm wrong please.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New 'Paypal' scam?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
I think you're correct in thinking this is a scam, forward it unopened to [email protected] & then delete it is what is recommended by paypal

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:05:26 pm »
The easiest way to check is to go into your paypal account and check your messages there. Same goes for ebay emails, if the same email doesn't appear in your logged in account then it's a scam.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:31:07 pm »
I have been receiving them as well I just delete them. I get a couple at a time

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
I received one recently too. It was dressed up as a 'normal' statement telling me about a bogus transaction I'd supposedly made. Of course my first reaction was "WTF?! I haven't paid anyone $73 recently!" There was a link to clink on to view/query the transaction.

Then I noticed the weird amount - $73.2 (fourth numeral was missing) and the fact that I wasn't addressed by name in the email. Hovering the mouse over the link revealed a very dubious looking URL.

Gotta be damn careful these days!

Tex

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »
yeah, 99.99% of these are 'phishing' scams.
also the one where some guy 'from Microsoft' or whatever, calls you to say your system has a virus etc.
just send money and he will fix it. uhuh. Apparently some thousands of people fell for that in OZ...

I actually had a guy call my home 'from the bank' and he sounded amazingly believable, however I am so unfailingly cynical that it wasn't too difficult to trip him up after some careful questioning.

so if you see a mail message from PayPal or The Bank etc. it can be taken as 'always' to be bullshit and hovering over the links or copying the links to a text file is a sure way to see it is point to some fake address.

Luke

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »
I made a bid on a bike on ebay,but when the price went too  high I dropped out.After the auction finished I got a message supposedly from ebay.Saying,I had a second chance offer.Of course the bike was in a warehouse and the owner was over seas and all I had to do was send money via western union.Needless to say I didn't fall for it but what gets me is how they knew it was me who made the bid.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:54:36 pm »
I made a bid on a bike on ebay,but when the price went too  high I dropped out.After the auction finished I got a message supposedly from ebay.Saying,I had a second chance offer.Of course the bike was in a warehouse and the owner was over seas and all I had to do was send money via western union.Needless to say I didn't fall for it but what gets me is how they knew it was me who made the bid.p
i've had that one before too albeit a while back
"flat bickie"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:02:51 pm »

Same here, wondered the same thing too
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »
send all to [email protected] 
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

TM BILL

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

Had that one a few times , but some years back .

Offline Mutch

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »
Yep i got all that as well some time ago but, they gave up on me as they found out that im a poor
Maori.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
I've been getting some emails lately from 'Paypal' which I suspect are phishing efforts. The gist is that you have made a small payment to the Euro ebay site via Paypal but if there is a problem then you are supposed to click on the link provided to cancel the transaction. I didn't follow the link and I suspect its aimed at getting access to your paypal details. I checked my account and theres no history of any such payment. The whole page looks good and a lot like the ebay invoice page. The address is [email protected]....(DONT click on this hyperlink anyway :o)
 Maybe I'm wrong but it would pay to be cautious. Enlighten me if I'm wrong please.

JUST RECIEVED ONE THIS MORNING ON EMAIL..thankfully did a search here and "wham" on ya Canam   :-*   

here's some eye candy for you  :P
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-75-Can-am-250-MX1-AHRMA-Not-Maico-Ossa-CZ-Elsinore-Penton-Bultaco-Husqvarna-/271187850935?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f240e36b7
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:09:48 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!