Author Topic: Log Book  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Log Book
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »
I can't find the thread or remember who asked about Log Booking bikes for historic classes. Said many times that a Log Book will 'clean up' era's and stop either using out of era components or protests at title meetings. Saving over worked officials a lot of time so they can have a beer with everyone else at the conclusion of the meeting.
I was asked before about the process to get a Log Book and having just Log Booked and RS 125 for this weekends Titles at Eastern Creek. I'll give a step by step account.
1. Download Log Book Application from MA website.2. Rang eligabilty scrutineer and asked how if it would be possible to 'fast track' the application. The reply was "Get it to MA asap. No Log Book No race"(usualy take about 3 weeks)
3. Completed , scanned and emailed MA application.Filled it out with frame/engine numbers and modifcations, this one had "fitted with period FCC Dry Clutch and aftermarket handmade expansion chamber" the rest was 'Stock NF4 Honda RS 125"
4. Wait for half of Melbourne to return to work after a horse race
5. Spoke to MA and my application sent to Eligabilty Scrutineer for viewing
6. MA rang to say Log Book approved.
7. Rang MA & Eligability Scurtineer to say thanks.
Time taken about an hour Cost $55 for Log Book plus some phone calls.

Done.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Log Book
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »
It only takes one quick walk through the pits at any historic road race meeting to see that the log book doesn't " 'clean up' era's and stop either using out of era components or protests at title meetings" . I lost count of the dodgy bikes the last time I scanned the pits at a historic meet, all of presumably with their own little log book ::).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »
It only takes one quick walk through the pits at any historic road race meeting to see that the log book doesn't " 'clean up' era's and stop either using out of era components or protests at title meetings" . I lost count of the dodgy bikes the last time I scanned the pits at a historic meet, all of presumably with their own little log book ::).

Competitors tell a different story, especialy the ones at the pointy end.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:01 pm »
Vintage Motocross doesn't need log books.. just another unneccessary hassle.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »
I have about ten bikes I race. That's another $500 I don't need to shell out.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »
Plus the fact that everytime you do a top end rebuild or change a pair of shocks or something else you have to get a scrutineer to come and check your bike again and seal it and fill in the log book before you can take it to a race... No thanks

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »
You must mix in different circles than me Lozza,  a number of the riders I know have stretched the limitations on their bikes beyond legal limits, the thing that they're really good at is hiding or disguising those dodgy components. The ones at the pointy end are usually the worst offenders. Anybody with a good general knowledge of classic motorcycles would be able to spot a number of dodgy bikes at any given meeting.

I also agree with Johnny O and 090 that log books are an uncecessary addition to our sport. If the cheating was as prevalent as it is in road racing you may have a point but in reality, there isn't much deliberate cheating in VMX and VDT. There's more discussion on here about cheating than what actually happens at the track.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:46:23 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Simo63

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:51:20 am »
You must mix in different circles than me Lozza,  a number of the riders I know have stretched the limitations on their bikes beyond legal limits, the thing that they're really good at is hiding or disguising those dodgy components. The ones at the pointy end are usually the worst offenders. Anybody with a good general knowledge of classic motorcycles would be able to spot a number of dodgy bikes at any given meeting.

I also agree with Johnny O and 090 that log books are an uncecessary addition to our sport. If the cheating was as prevalent as it is in road racing you may have a point but in reality, there isn't much deliberate cheating in VMX and VDT. There's more discussion on here about cheating than what actually happens at the track.

Gotta agree with Firko here.  Having come from a road racing background that included post classic, I've seen many, many "interpretations" of the rules and it doesn't take much to point out the inconsistencies.  I also have a number of mates that still run period class road racing and they look over at us in the vmx world with envious eyes.  No log books and a straight forward, self managing style to people "interpreting" the rules to their advantage.

Sure, vmx is not perfect (remember that clown that showed up at the 2012 nationals on a 75 framed TM250 and tried to run it in the pre-75 class  ... oh hang on .. that was me  :-[)  but I don't believe adding another level of bureaucracy won't make it so.  I think it's our responsibility to make sure we self manage the topic of eligibility so that MA doesn't feel the need to get involved.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:24:50 am »
HISTORIC ROAD RACING
2011 MOTOGP SUPPORT CLASS
WALKING THROUGH PITS
SPOT TZ750 WITH RGV250 WHEELS
CHATTED TO OLD MATE
I SAID WHAT YEAR IS THIS MAG WHEELS ON A TZ750
HE SAID AND QUITE OPENLY ITS A 2011 MODEL MATE
IF THIS IS WHAT LOG BOOKS DO TO HISTORIC CLASS
NO THANKS

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:14 am »
At the recent Aussie DT titles in canberra I asked the scrutineer a questiion about year models and his reply was that he did not know the difference between a 74 model and a 79 model ???
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 06:43:01 pm »
Don't need log books but we have the perenial swing arm debate

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=24891.msg261755;boardseen#new
How much are the 10 bike worth either on average or collectively?

Plus the fact that everytime you do a top end rebuild or change a pair of shocks or something else you have to get a scrutineer to come and check your bike again and seal it and fill in the log book before you can take it to a race... No thanks
Nonsense, if you have 'aftermarket shocks" listed on the log book the brand doesn't matter.There is no 'sealing' of anything, Check some facts
You must mix in different circles than me Lozza,  a number of the riders I know have stretched the limitations on their bikes beyond legal limits, the thing that they're really good at is hiding or disguising those dodgy components. The ones at the pointy end are usually the worst offenders.

Care to name them or show some examples?
HISTORIC ROAD RACING
2011 MOTOGP SUPPORT CLASS
WALKING THROUGH PITS
SPOT TZ750 WITH RGV250 WHEELS
CHATTED TO OLD MATE
I SAID WHAT YEAR IS THIS MAG WHEELS ON A TZ750
HE SAID AND QUITE OPENLY ITS A 2011 MODEL MATE
IF THIS IS WHAT LOG BOOKS DO TO HISTORIC CLASS
NO THANKS

Support race isn't championship race, for the umteeth time Log Books are title meetings.Need to check a few facts to Campagnolo mags are common during the day. RGV VJ21 has a 4in 18in wheel, not everyone can afford period Campagnolo wheels
At the recent Aussie DT titles in canberra I asked the scrutineer a questiion about year models and his reply was that he did not know the difference between a 74 model and a 79 model ???

So they can do with some help then. There is no 'bureauracry' it's as difficult as filling out a form and taking 4 photo's,

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

Nonsense, if you have 'aftermarket shocks" listed on the log book the brand doesn't matter.There is no 'sealing' of anything, Check some facts
If nothing is sealed then how is a log book going to make a bike legal?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »
Give it a rest Lozza....nobody likes the idea ::). As far as the swingarm debate over on the other thread....that's just a little bit of a fun repeat performance for someone not involved in the original debate. Despite what you may read on here, there are very few eligibility problems in VMX and even less in Classic DT, Certainly not enough for log books to be introduced.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:05 pm »
fork ya log books,pain in the bum,yeah great when you have it (finally),don't go there with it dirtwise,we're fine as is,as for asking the "eledgibility" guys at the dirt nats,the correct answer was given!,NFI, because that wasn't in  his/their job discription,the 2 stewards Dave,& brother Barry were concerned with safety issue,chainguards,etc,quite correctly they know nothing of era specifics!!,ffs we were self regulated,didn't anyone appreciate that fact ,or notice??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 08:48:59 am »

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=24891.msg261755;boardseen#new
How much are the 10 bike worth either on average or collectively?

What difference does that make? I'd rather shell out $500 into a rebuild than a piece of paper plus put the labour into the rebuild than going through paperwork. The government gives me enough of that.
It's obviously falling on deaf ears here.
Also a very late response. Have you been busy getting your log book up to date?  :D