Author Topic: Looking for info/ photos on old motocross tracks NSW  (Read 8461 times)

Offline ozyditcher

• B-Grade
  • saddleback park made me leve Oz
    • View Profile
Looking for info/ photos on old motocross tracks NSW
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »
There was two motocross tracks in the blue mountains NSW, one was by the airport ( dont know the name) the other was called Yosemite ? lower mountains was the club.   Does anyone have any old photos or Info when were they made and if there are still there.  I grew up riding there and my dad would film super 8 films there. 70s 80s

Offline Jeffc

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info/ photos on old motocross tracks NSW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
i only know of the track at Katoomba(GONE) and the one at Clarence(still there) but cant remember there names.The one at Katoomba was sand with concrete drop offs!

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
The one near airport was Medlow Bath motocross track, has been closed for a long time. North Katoomba was the other one, long closed. But Clarence is still a goer.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
Don't forget Bilpin .......also departed.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline ozyditcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:11:58 am »
i only know of the track at Katoomba(GONE) and the one at Clarence(still there) but cant remember there names.The one at Katoomba was sand with concrete drop offs!
   Thats it. We would get shovels and build up the drops offs, before the concrete went in. 

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:44:00 am »
"Devils drop off" was what we used to call it.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »
Devil's drop off? we used to call it IAN PALMERS STUFF UP!!!!  Certainly slowed a lot of people down, me included!

Most of the track layout is still there, or was 12mths ago, been flattened a bit, perfect for vmx now, how about we all meet there for a quick lap or 3 and hit the toe!!!!

Bilpin is still pretty much there, although the bridge is gone and there are 3 inch "trees" growing in the middle of turn 1 !!!  A waste all round, neither area is used by anyone, not even the whingeing pricks who got them shut down, typical.

Dargle is still sitting there mostly, now that's a place we should be speaking to about a vmx only track!

Offline ozyditcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:17:55 pm »
Devil's drop off? we used to call it IAN PALMERS STUFF UP!!!!  Certainly slowed a lot of people down, me included!

Most of the track layout is still there, or was 12mths ago, been flattened a bit, perfect for vmx now, how about we all meet there for a quick lap or 3 and hit the toe!!!!

Bilpin is still pretty much there, although the bridge is gone and there are 3 inch "trees" growing in the middle of turn 1 !!!  A waste all round, neither area is used by anyone, not even the whingeing pricks who got them shut down, typical.

Dargle is still sitting there mostly, now that's a place we should be speaking to about a vmx only track!

I have some photos of some racers.  how do i post them

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
Devil's drop off? we used to call it IAN PALMERS STUFF UP!!!! 
That's funny...whatever happened to Ian Palmer? I thought he's be prime minister by now ::).
Alan Smith, the owner is over it all. He told me that it's not worth putting in the prep time on the track for the monetary return it brings. He makes more money growing turf. Penrith club used to hire Dargle quite a bit back in the nineties but no matter what preparation Smithy had told us he'd done, it more times than not would turn out a bumpy dust bowl. It's a shame really for those who remember how great it was to ride during the tracks 1970's/80's glory days.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »
What a great post. I was reading an article recently about Hungry Creek ride park from the late 70's/ early 80's. I think it got too much in the end to manage and was shut and I think there might have been a death there. The Nowra bike farm is also gone, shame. There was also a track near me at Orangeville owned by the Hayters of Hayters Sawmill. Last time I was out there a few years back all that remained was the indemnity sign. The 60 acre property is currently up for sale.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
Devil's drop off? we used to call it IAN PALMERS STUFF UP!!!! 
That's funny...whatever happened to Ian Palmer? I thought he's be prime minister by now ::).
Alan Smith, the owner is over it all. He told me that it's not worth putting in the prep time on the track for the monetary return it brings. He makes more money growing turf. Penrith club used to hire Dargle quite a bit back in the nineties but no matter what preparation Smithy had told us he'd done, it more times than not would turn out a bumpy dust bowl. It's a shame really for those who remember how great it was to ride during the tracks 1970's/80's glory days.

Very close Mark RE: Palmer..He was the top gun at the chamber of commerce in Penrith. His sister is involved with MA
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:32:41 pm »
Speaking of MX tracks I was at my local track Oakdale over the weekend. It has changed alot since the early days and is primarily a junior club now. Though I can remember the days when it was a really top track with a big set of studders that only a few could tame.
  They used to have an old bouble-decker bus on the last berm before the chequered flag that you could get a great view and shots. I've got a heap of early shots from the 92/93 season with a young Anthony Gobert, Graig Anderson and I think Kim Ashkenazi was there to on an RM.
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

albrid-3

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »
Whats Gobert doing with himself these days. he had a good chance but through it away.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:45 am »
as of a few weeks back Goey is appareently having "medical treatment" on or near the Goldcoast, lets hope to God he turns his life around.

Ian Palmer is/was still involved with the Chamber in Penrith, havnt heard from Sandra Palmer in years though, both TOP PEOPLE in this sport, for the last 30 years at least, although Ian gave it a miss from around the closing of his shop and being burnt by his "importer". Ian was an excellent rider in the 70's and early 80's too, good bloke imo.

Kt

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
anybody remeber the mx track in Bestric st Rockdale opposite the fisho's  club ( now a soccer feild ).How good was that to have a track right in the middle of Sydney