Author Topic: A CRF/KTM hybrid 201lb 250cc Two-Stroke motocrosser  (Read 10355 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A CRF/KTM hybrid 201lb 250cc Two-Stroke motocrosser
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:15 pm »
I'm with Nathan, why a KTM ? Good on him though.
Much prefer YZF frame/ yz 250 conversion fitted with Ohlins 360 kit :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:00:24 pm by evo550 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »
I'm not trying to be negative, but I just want someone to explain why this is "better" than a 250SX with titanium bits?
It's really got nothing to do with better. It's just one mans concept of the perfect motocross bike, nothing more, nothing less. While I'm here sticking up for the bloke and his bike, I myself wouldn't have built it his way but that's what these projects are about....we all have a different perspective on what's 'cool'.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02:37 am »
It's really got nothing to do with better. It's just one mans concept of the perfect motocross bike, nothing more, nothing less. While I'm here sticking up for the bloke and his bike, I myself wouldn't have built it his way but that's what these projects are about....we all have a different perspective on what's 'cool'.

So is that really that hard to understand? Well said Firko...
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 08:20:31 am »
I like the concept and associated ingenuity
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 08:26:18 am »
It certainly is a sweet creation. I would have liked the 300 engine in it for that added pulling power

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 09:07:32 am »
Here is my idea of a two stroke build :)

luv that pipe!

http://blog.derestricted.com/racing/250cc-swm-fantic-2-stroke-dirt-tracker/
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:23 am »
Here is my idea of a two stroke build

luv that pipe!

Very nice!!!

Damn that's nice..........here's something similar, a C&J cr450f

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:44 am »
Here is my idea of a two stroke build :)

luv that pipe!

Hmm, a special flat track frame with a Gasser motor. I don't see where Fantic and SWM fit into the picture  ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:15:19 am by TooFastTim »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 10:12:07 am »
I'm not trying to be negative, but I just want someone to explain why this is "better" than a 250SX with titanium bits?

Sure. But what is it about this bike that floats his/your/Jeff's boats?

Is it simply that it got built despite logic?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or negative, I genuinely don't understand what is to be excited about: The end result doesn't seem to achieve anything particularly useful from either a rider's or an engineer's point of view.
If it makes it's builder happy, then great - but why does it make him happy?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 11:03:46 am »
Nathan,
I just like the bike. I appreciate that it is one guys dream bike and I admire the standard of work he has put into it.

Nothing more than that...

Could he have built a great KTM...? Sure!!! But he didn't so I posted the images of the bike he did build.

As for why to get excited about it... a 201lb, 56hp 250cc Two-stroke sounds like a lot of fun to me [and heaps more fun than a 4-stroke - IMHO].

And as for an engineers point of view... well again he obviously thinks that the KTM is the best engine and the CR the best chassis... so he set to work to produce a combination of the 2 hoping that the synergy would produce a great bike. His execution looks first class... so from an engineers point of view I reckon he has done damn well.

Motocross would be far more interesting if top line racing allowed these kind of one-off specials to compete, the cookie cutter 4-strokes are a bit boring IMHO.

So that is why it floats my boat... I just like it. I didn't sit down and examine the logic behind it, nor did I consider the ultimate performance, or the cost. It's just a MOTORBIKE... and I reckon it looks HORN [to paraphrase Robbie Phillis].

I think that just about covers it... Have I mentioned that I just like it?  :D
VMX42

P.S. I also like the Dutch Twin shockers [sorry Firko] and the NZ fuel injected 2-stroke. Not a cookie cutter in sight...

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:37 am »
Firko nailed it.

Personally have not rode an alloy framed smoker that I was happy with - they are just far too harsh and do not feel right.   Probably the closest I have tried was an alloy framed YZ250 up in Japan (or was it an OW?) with the next being my highly modified '97 CR250.  Some foam in the frame rails, '96 RM250 conventional forks and a few custom bits here & there made it quite tractable.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »
Sure. But what is it about this bike that floats his/your/Jeff's boats?

Is it simply that it got built despite logic?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or negative, I genuinely don't understand what is to be excited about: The end result doesn't seem to achieve anything particularly useful from either a rider's or an engineer's point of view.
If it makes it's builder happy, then great - but why does it make him happy?

Nathan, if you have to ask those questions and expect a considered answer it's my guess that you'll never understand the mindset of people who build specials. There is no defined answer to any of your questions and if you asked the builder those same questions he wouldn't be able to answer them either. Building these kind of bikes never fully makes sense to anyone outside of the thought process that creates them but who gives a toss? This and any other special are the end result of one mans dream and whether they're logical or not is totally irrelevent.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:25 pm »
I'm all for specials that make sense: I built my 1986 KX200 because I loved the KDX-C motor, but the rest of the bike was too low and too fat. It was easier/cheaper to build a special, than try to get the KDX roller behaving like a KX.
I'm about to build a 98 KX200 for much the same reasons.
I own a "YZ200WR" which combines the WR200 motor with the weight, ergos and handling of a YZ125 - I didn't build it, but it makes sense because it is now a bike that doesn't exist otherwise, and is ultimately superior to all of its three donor bikes.

A mate is building a re-powered KLX250 Evo race bike - it makes sense, because it's both making a low cost race bike from bits he's got hanging around, and because it should be superior to both donor bikes.

Hybrid bikes like the XL Elsinores, Yamaicos, 500AFs and even those bloody HLs all make sense - the end results are clearly better than (or at least different to) the donor bikes.

While I can appreciate the workmanship in the KTM-CRF, it still strikes me as a pointless exercise - spending a lot of time and money to end up with something that's not appreciably better than either of the donor bikes.
(Yes, his time and money to spend as be sees fit)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »
my kx500AF which is a late model 450 frame with 500 donk
is the best balanced bike i have ever ridden and i have been
on a few, been riding her for 5 years now and would never part with it ;D
follow me to first turn