Author Topic: Poor old girl in need of some lov'n  (Read 2001 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Poor old girl in need of some lov'n
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »
I can't believe the prices heaps of shit go for yet mint condition nice bikes never get what they're worth  ???

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:59 am »
Looks like someone wants to love it ::)
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

TM BILL

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:35:35 am »
I can't believe the prices heaps of shit go for yet mint condition nice bikes never get what they're worth  ???

I wonder that too John , i put it down to the average joe has a budget he can buy a bike with, plus he has all the enthusiasm in the world and thinks he will tip in another grand and have a minter .

As we know all to well thats never the case and a lot of these type of deals end up back on the bay with a bit of work done and a few more parts that the owner has collected .

The other reason i reckon these deals fetch good coin is that somone will buy them as a spares bike as they already have one of that model ( of course its a false economy as generally everthing is fuct on the old shitters )

Unless you have restored a bike or built a racer you dont really know the true cost involved , so to the average joe a mint restored or well sorted racer seems ridiculously over priced  ::)

In saying all that that rocket seems to have all the bones there and all parts are available Hmmmmmmmmmm  ;D ;D ;D

Did rockets have a steel seat base  ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:04 am »
I can't believe the prices heaps of shit go for yet mint condition nice bikes never get what they're worth
So true but I think that it comes down to us wanting to do the resto ourselves. There's much more satisfaction in being able to say you did it yourself than buying someone elses work.

Have I missed something or is there some sort of secret cult fetish involving painting old bikes flat black. It seems that every second unrestored shitbox that comes up is wearing a coating of black suede ???.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
[
Have I missed something or is there some sort of secret cult fetish involving painting old bikes flat black. It seems that every second unrestored shitbox that comes up is wearing a coating of black suede ???.
[/quote]

Flat black camo job = better check the numbers ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
I've been searching for a 78-80 CR250 frame for some time now.  I can pick them up in the US but freight costs seem to be pushing the price ever close to the bid price of that ebay bike, so in perspective its probably a good choice for me.

But, you guys are right. The cost to restore a bike as opposed to buying a restored bike generally points you in the direction of buying one already done and fiddling with it.  But I guess you miss the pleasure of restoring it yourself.  Half the fun is finding the hard parts.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »
They have a plastic seat base Bill, It must have the wrong seat or the guy is mistaken about it being steel :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:27:43 pm by smed »

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »
If the motor wasnt completely f****ked it would represent good value particularly if you had a few parts for it.

I have some new side covers if someone wants them .(Free to good home) You pay the mail , offer only open to people with a genuine use for them or as they say people infected with the Honda virus
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:57:26 pm by HVA61 »
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 02:55:30 pm »
They have a plastic seat base Bill, It must have the wrong seat or the guy is mistaken about it being steel :)

Thought that was the case or the 2 in my shed were wrong  ???

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 03:14:26 pm »
I've got the Virus bad HVA,I am doing a resto on one at the moment & have another to do after that,I can use the covers for that one :) they will be going to a loving home.

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
PM your details and we will get them off to you Monday.
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 04:47:32 pm »
Went for $1235 in the end.