Author Topic: Husky 360CR Quandary  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Husky 360CR Quandary
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:17:25 AM »
I'm in a quandary about one of my bikes that I need to move along to it's next owner.  The sum of the parts is worth more than the bike, but I hate to part things out piece by piece, because then I end of still ahving parts of the bike and then eventually throw them away.

The bike is a nice '76 360WR roller that I was going to convert to a 360CR.  I have the 360CR motor, a dent free '76 250CR tank, a 400CR front hub and a set of billet aluminum Pro-Fab replica triple clamps.  I would love to restore this Swedish work of art, but after I purchased my '77 YZ400D I knew I would never get to it.
 :(

Would you part it out or take a little less to get rid of the whole thing?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:54:46 AM by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Husky 360CR Quandary
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »

An other way to look at it Firco if you sell the complete bike
     you only make One person Happy ...
     If you sell it in Bits you you could make 7 people happy that
     are looking for Bits.
      Just put a price on it First give it say a month if it does not
      sell ... Then Part it out

Poppy

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:53:04 AM »
I have a similar dilemma with a '76 CR360 that I own and was planning to restore. I think that I have all the bits required to put it together, but lack the time to do it. If you sell it as a basket case , you end up getting next to nothing for it. If you take the time to bring it back to as close to new condition as possible, then you will never get back what it owes you in parts (without even taking into consideration the cost of your labour). So my plan was maybe to throw it together, when I can find some time, as a rough but running bike and try and sell it that way. At least then , a potential buyer can see that all the parts are there and finish the job to what ever standard they want and the end result is another bike back on the track. I hate the idea of parting out my bikes, even though I might potentially get more money that way.

TM BILL

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »
You have to follow your heart on this , if you choose to part it out as has been said you could make a lot of people happy and recover a fair bit more money .

You can look at it that you are wrecking a complete bike and i know that seems wrong  :-\ but on the other hand by sacrificing this one bike you could potentialy get 2 or more bikes or projects finished with parts from yours  :-\

You will enevitably be left with some parts though and my suggestion would be to offer them to the buyers of the parts you have sold for free or a token payment or trade .

This way you have done all you can to find homes for all the parts so you have a clear concinse  ;D if nobody wants the left overs then dump them  ::) its not like you haven't tried to do the decent thing .

When you part out a complete bike there will always be the knockers  ::) but its the same knockers who wont pay a fair price for the complete bike , so fork em  ;D

Good luck  :)

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
I agree with Bill here, FWIW. I have a 76 360CR and a 76 360 Auto but am a bit far away to buy yours - story of my life... :(

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
An other way to look at it Firco if you sell the complete bike
Where do I fit into this? Perhaps you mean't Tahitian Red? ???

It's always a shame to part a bike out as each one split up is another one lost to the world. I've been in the same dilemna as Red and in nearly all cases I took the option to sell the bikes in unrestored but as close to complete condition as possible, purely to allow the bike to remain intact and allow someone else to restore them. Sometimes you take a loss, other times a win but overall the sports in better condition for another bike surviving.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
You could always keep it.
It would be a real nice bike when finished. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
It would be a beautiful bike!  I've been admiring in the back of my truck all day.  ;D

When you can hardly get around in your garage or walk down the side of your house and you have already rented a second storage unit, it may be time thin the herd.   
  ;)

Thanks for the advice.  I'm thinking roller minus the tank (but with e 400CR front hub), then put the tank, motor and triples on evilbay.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
I showed the bike to Husky Nut friend of mine and we agreed what a low hour bike this is.  All the frame rails are in great shape as are the rims with the stock Barum tires.  The WR pipe was near perfect and I sold that on eBay for almost what I paid for the entire bike.  The motor side covers are really nice, but the lower end is locked up from water that was sprayed in the through a broken base gasket (not by me), so the cases may have corrosion. 
 :(

I think I'll sell the side covers and then get my '75 KTM 250 "Falta-nator" ready for sale to finance this Husky resto.  Comparing the two bikes it makes me appreciated the beauty and simplicity of these Swedish Super-Models.  The Penton/KTM is a good looking bike, but it is heavy and overloaded with dependable parts.  Great for a Six Day Trials, but overkill for a few five lap motos.
 ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
The parting out debate is a little like the dilema for for some folk regarding organ donation (keeps other folks/bikes going) Don't take your organs with you, god knows we need them here! Cheers Jerry

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
The parting out debate is a little like the dilema for for some folk regarding organ donation (keeps other folks/bikes going) Don't take your organs with you, god knows we need them here! Cheers Jerry

Jerry i have a dilema about just that  ::)

Vale and me were discussing this the other night , shes a donor and im not, she thinks i should be and i will on certain conditions.
I am more than happy to donate all / whatever they can use in the way of my organs/ parts on the condition that they take the rest of me and dispose of it how they choose   ( Dog tucker for all i care )

Im an agnostic and come my end i dont want to pay or have my family pay for a funeral that i dont want / need . I will leave a few quid for a piss up and a graize if anyones interested  . To me it seems a fair trade take what you want and ditch the rest ( if i take a car to the wreckers they dont take the bits they want then expect me to collect and dump the rest )

You think it would be a no brainer  ??? but up till now i always get a no sorry we dont do that  ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:25:44 AM by TM bill »

Offline Flatout

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
What a dilema :-\ wish I had your problems,Just its origin conjours up thoughts of viking ships and fair maidens.Just to think that all her metal parts are made from the finest steel in the world not to mention her century old heritage and racing pedigree.Restore her to an age where Husqvqrna was still a Swedish made icon, and she will give you commitment and loyalty.She"s a Swedish beauty.And when you throw a leg over her and feel her throbbing body beneath you  ;)..enuff of this bullshit.There is always room in the shed for one more, and like you said B4 sell the KTM,that way you get to spend more time in the shed with ur girlfriends.. Cheers ST52..

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
Bill in my line of work I have seen the benefits of organ donation bigtime and that was enough to make me sign up. Having said that I hope they don't donate my brain to some poor bastard. J

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 04:52:50 AM »
Here is the Faltanator.  I need to mount the new seat cover and put the Bing back on it.  The pipe is a Carl Cranke design.

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA