Author Topic: Re Anodising rims  (Read 1508 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re Anodising rims
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »
Has anyone had there original rims redone,can they fix tyre lever rash or is it only good for scratched & faded rims :)

Who did you use & an approx price:)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Re Anodising rims
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
Anodisers will just re-anodise the rim you provide. You need to do the hard work of polishing out the defects and getting the surface finish you want. They dont do that - at least not the ones I know.  Anodizing will not improve the surface finish you left when you drop the rim off - in fact it can emphasize and defects. Take your time to get the rim nice and polished first. Good luck.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
Bugger,I thought as much,does anybody do new aftermarket rims drilled to suit your hubs,I know wheel builders will do it if you send them the hubs & get them to do the whole job including supplying the parts,but I have new spokes & want to lace the wheels myself :)

Offline Flatout

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
Its true anodising your original rims can be more expensive than buying new ones..The option I decided on was to take my originals to a metal polisher and have them professionally polished to mirror finish which costs >$120.00 ea on a good day, and cote them with a good silicon spray.If you try to achieve a better finish than what the polishers give you ,you will only dissapoint yourself..Got mine done over a year ago and they still look GR8.just a light wipe over with a soft cloth and your done.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:50:52 am by Stinger52 »

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Buchanan spokes in California can drill rims for any hubs. If it is CZ full circle racing in washington state sells offshore rims for $110 & $120 for front and back.Powder coating is an option also, never tried it but lots of people seem to have it done.

Maurice

STW996

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:46:31 pm »
smed, you can also try Keith from KSR wheels in the states.

Can supply and drill rims for any request.

Shane