Author Topic: The Economy - Is it just me or are we all feeling it?  (Read 13069 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
The Economy - Is it just me or are we all feeling it?
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:23:39 am »
October is usually our boom month but we would be 30% down and other people in my industry are saying similar things. How is everyone else finding it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:26:40 am by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The Economy - Is it just me or are we all feeling it?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:56 am »
Welcome to new zealand, oh wait your in OZ ,we've been F#$$ for a couple of years like it.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:10:34 am »
I work for a large Australian company being courted by Koreans,and our Australian order intakes are definitely down.Like Asasin said above I think you guys are about to experience what we have gone/still experiencing overhere in NZ.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »
Firko said we cant post about the coming down turn . 
Don't misquote me Walter, I said nothing of the sort. What I keep saying and what you keep ignoring is that this is a VMX forum, not something dedicated to politics. I'm not the politically naive, head in the sand punter that you seem to think I am, I know things are crook out there, I'm a self funded retiree for fu*k sake, I watch my financial investments diminish on a weekly basis and I'm sadly watching a couple of good mates businesses go down the gurgler through no fault of their own. However, I and most of us come here to get away from the financial and political bullshit that intercedes our lives.
Try going onto a forum dedicated to politics and announce your Christmas shock absorber sale or talk about Suzuki footpegs and see how long that would last.

Jeez this shit annoys me  ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:38 pm »
is auz feeling it now because china etc not buying so much steel/coal/minerals? Unzud in 4th year of slow times
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:34:02 pm »
is auz feeling it now because china etc not buying so much steel/coal/minerals? Unzud in 4th year of slow times

Yer must be . Firko joinig the chorus of whinging Aussie's just confirmed it . Bloody Hell this must be an epidemic.

(posted in the general disscussion section to share with my fellow vmx enthusiasts

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:15 pm »
Well from the deep north- just over the border in SEQ actually- things aren't too bad this month. None of us have made it to the ASA Sidecar nats though as we are trying to catch up after a lean few months during winter. The tax refund dollar has given everyone a bit to spend and they are all putting their cars back to where they need to be service wise. However we are getting some shockers in, like some that have missed 2yrs of service and are now too far gone from oil gunking up and coolant with no anti rust left to do the job. That's not to mention their suspension bushes and ball joints etc.... either. Some very big repair bills coming for them. The smart are getting it all done so things are not too bad now as I said.
Our new acquisition of a spare parts shop has had a slow start also as it supplies to many workshops similar to ours and they are all a bit off & on too. We bought it to help get me off the tools as I now have issues with elbow tendons and and the lungs are forked from cutting old exhausts off so I'll grow old and fat behind a parts counter now :D
Still, in all I can say I'm more optimistic than I've been in a while and hope that it keeps up so I can afford at least 1 more trip to Europe before the reaper gets me.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
We need a change of Guberment as much as I dislike speedo boy he will give a start of confidence back and help get the economy going again all the big coal guys in the Hunter Valley have sacked just about all the subcontractors and for first time in years jobs are thin for good tradies.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

maxvmx

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:43 pm »
It's fine, we've just scraped past a little iceberg but we'll be back on our way in no time - don't worry!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
Depends on where you live, up until about 12 months ago I was in the same boat as some of you describe, so the wife and I packed up the family and moved to the Kimberley. Money is no longer a conversation topic, and I haven't checked the bank balance for months.
No, we're not in the mining game, just a teacher and a nurse, we just live a blessed lifestyle, without all of the city(east coast) trappings.
The kids no longer even want McD's or any other junk food, prefer fresh caught Barra, and all their electronic devices have been gathering dust and have been replaced with fishing rods and camping gear.
Life's good here

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »
There are a few people on here who may even stoop low enough to put shite on you for raising a topic that falls into, heaven forbit, general discission, I aint one of them.
On a global scale compared to Greece, we're well off, just because we've reached $60B in debt, don't panic, we can handle it, we're wealthy.
Pig's arse, Labor have been a FFFFFFFFFIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG shambles.
We need to stop worrying about how we look on the world stage and start looking after our own.

Montynut

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »
It's fine, we've just scraped past a little iceberg but we'll be back on our way in no time - don't worry!
That is what Greece said 3 years ago or so ::)

The engine room of our economy is slowing rapidly. The mining industry has been halving (yes halving) maintenance budgets and pushing spending further and further into the distance. Their revenue stream is slowing rapidly and growth projections contracting.

This has a massive knock on affect for the Government cash flow. Even Swannies, let's say inventive accounting (if he was in a public company he would be knocking out number plates by now) cannot deal with that. World's best Treasurer  ::) voted by the Greece economic experts >:(

Even the floating of the Carbon floor price a few years earlier is going to knock a massive holes in the countries bottom line as they leave the subsides to the 'true believers' in place when they should be removed if the floor price drops. Buying votes did someone say?

Just so long as we get a seat on the UN Council everything will be sweet. Right ::)

Oh yes don't forget to throw open the boarders that always helps ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:47:16 pm by Montynut »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:09 am »
Hey you guys I wish you'd stop all this negative talk, its almost as bad as when they tried to tell me that father christmas and the easter bunny weren't real. Its all bullshit father christmas and the easter bunny come every year and there's nothing wrong ever going to happen to the Aussie economy if you stop whinging and believe :P

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »
Maxvmx   isnt that what the captain of the Titanic said??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

maxvmx

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »
Yes, but his last words were "glug, glug, glug"