Author Topic: Purest form of VMX  (Read 4555 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Purest form of VMX
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »
We have had many a great discussion on rules, regulations, eras, follow on's and in the spirit of, of this great sport and I would like to express my personel thoughts on the matter.
For those who know me and my bikes I like to keep as much as possible within the era Im riding in (including clothing within safety perimators)
I have run meetings (VMX) and the rules I have or want, usually get knocked (softened) back by my follow organizers' because I like the idea of the true ERA of the sport or the purest from of VMX.
My rules are very simple, maybe a bit harsh for most to take, but then that is the nature of rules and that is probably why I always like the idea of 'obsolutes' no questions asked "if it wasnt made/designated/manufactured/available or out of era the bike goes up an era to its most modern part.
"PRE" means exactly that. "Pre75" no follow-on's, no parts from post that era, excluding comsumables, which have to be of the same specifications within the boundaries of the era.
In 1974 you could not have any bikes or parts that were made in 1975 or beyond because they just werent there. Hence, Pre75 means just that, no ifs, no buts, no could haves.
My arguement for any era to have flow-on/follow-on models is that, if it wasnt made in the last year of that particular era then it couldnt have been raced that year. The bike needs to go up an era. And it is the same with any parts whether performance inhancing or not. This is Era racing not "but it is the same as that bike racing". Sorry, but you should have bought a bike of that era if you wanted to race in it but you are more than welcome to race your bike in the era it was made.
And it is the same with all the eras we race, from Pre60 through to Pre90.

This is just my personel opinion and no reflection on any rules or regulations that any club, organization or country has in place at the moment.
Yes, I do prefer the purist form of Vintage Motocross.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:24:48 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Purest form of VMX
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:31:03 am »
So why did you say you wouldn't protest Iain's hypothetical bike with a 75 model frame and would have allowed it to race pre75. That is a complete contradiction to what you are saying here. Being a 'purest' .

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:46:32 am »
I will also say that it is clear as day why you have to put classes together as there just aren't enough people over there.
Is there a bit of rule stretching going on over there due to being so laid back with the 'rules' you have there? I remember conversations regarding that subject.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:52:21 am »
That's simple Brad, those are the rules I like but it's not the rules we have in place at the moment. Plus I think you know me well enough to know that it would be a very dark day in VMX for me to protest a bike once it is on the line and certainly never after the racing.
Me and poor old Bill have had this discussion about the cut-off dates and what bikes are flow-on models. I will almost always lose because of the financial side that people have put into their bikes versus getting the "Pre Era exactly that. Nothing is allowed in after the cut-off date.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:01:59 am »
I will also say that it is clear as day why you have to put classes together as there just aren't enough people over there.
Is there a bit of rule stretching going on over there due to being so laid back with the 'rules' you have there? I remember conversations regarding that subject.

I think no matter where you are their is always going to be some sort of rule stretching, as it is human nature, but to my knowledge I don't think anyone is stretching the rules we have here as the organisers have the right to change/modify the rules as they please to suit a changing world that we live in.

Sorry if I don't reply to any questions for a while as I'm about to leave home to drive to Taupo with the 360 and go racing tomorrow.

albrid-3

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:50 am »
I totally agree with DJ Racing, the rules have been written, read them, if the bike doesn`t fit the era, sell it or go up an era. simple and clear.

maico police

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:16:48 am »
I totally agree with DJ Racing, the rules have been written, read them, if the bike doesn`t fit the era, sell it or go up an era. simple and clear.

Agreed. No flow on models either. Man up and ride it in its bracket. You might even enjoy it.... ;)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:55 am »
       I don't understand your issue with follow on models. If a '75 model is unchanged and exactly the same as the '74 model, then what is the problem ? Surely this is better for the sport to allow follow on models , because it gives better availability and price of bikes and hopefully more lined up on the start line.
       The issue that I have with the rules at the moment is the pre '78 class 9" travel restriction. I think that it defies logic to have to modify a stock standard '77 model bike backwards to meet the rules of the class. For that reason, I won't be bothering to enter my '77 model bikes at any title meetings while ever this stupid rule is in place. I am never going to win a title anyway, so to me it is not worth the hassle to modify my bikes for something that is going to make stuff all difference anyway . All the rule does is make it harder for competitors, as well as scrutineers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:18:14 am by Husky500evo »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:15:30 am »
How do you treat replica frames, DJ?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:52 am »
well dj racing resides in nz where there are no rules as such. There is no rule book, no clubs. Just promoters that put on an event to which they make the rules for their own event as I understand it.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:33:11 am »
       I don't understand your issue with follow on models. If a '75 model is unchanged and exactly the same as the '74 model, then what is the problem ? Surely this is better for the sport to allow follow on models , because it gives better availability and price of bikes and hopefully more lined up on the start line.

Another way to look at this ...if your trying to get into the bar at 17 its just aint going to happen.
Its the rules..You have to wait till your 18.....simple rule   :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »
So are the rules as they stand. Pure vmx doesn't include the Internet . That way I don't have to read shit about people wanting to change  pre75, pre78 and now pre85 and how flawed the rules are.
Rules are flawed as they are made by humans who are flawed. The ONLY time there is an issue is when someone has their own agenda.

albrid-3

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:10 pm »
Replica frames, as long as the replica frame has been built to the same, dimension as the orignial frame that was built in that era. must not be changed. Its all in the rule book.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »
Brad is completely right when he says I live in NZ and that it is the promoter of the event can make what ever rules he/she wants. Make no mistake, we have rules and they are/can be as flawed as any other set of rules. Please remember all of this is just my personel view. Im not trying to change a thing and me personelly here in NZ the set of rules I like (as above) would  put most of my bikes up a class so there isnt any personel agenda here. I would in fact be shooting myself in the foot.
Not once have I rubbished any organisation, club, governing body, offical or person or the way any other meetings are run. All I have ever done is say what the rules say.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »
http://www.vintagemx.org.nz/Rules.htm

Rules for racing in Auckland about a dozen for 3 class's
Brad there are a few clubs around Unzud most running similar class's,personally just turn up and run on the day.I guess the more competitive the rider or meeting the more hassles (human nature)
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina