Author Topic: Cool Pushies  (Read 3102 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Cool Pushies
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:10:50 pm »
Arrow Motorized Cycles at Perris

By Jamey

Remember the old Whizzer motorized Bicycles from the 1950's? Ever wonder what they might have evolved into with modern technology applied to this inexpensive form of transportation / fun vehicle? Well; back in 2011 with gas prices always going ever higher and the economy in the tank Dave Rush found an inexpensive way to have fun and go racing. Dave coming from a Flat Track racing background knew all too well how much money was needed to fund a solid racing program, but what about the guy's or ladies who just wanted to race for fun, or even just ride for fun. Dave found a Russian designed / Chinese built two stroke engines made for attachment to bicycles. At first Dave developed and tested his own reed boxes for these engines, (which come in three different displacement sizes) then he and his brother Jim attended a local race just for Motorized Bicycles. Suddenly Dave realized there were enough enthusiasts for him to market his reed box as there was nothing available in the industry to enhance the performance of these one hundred plus mile per gallon bikes. So it was that in 2012 Dave launched Arrow Motorized Cycles offering reed box kits, exhaust pipes, performance cylinders and heads, along with spare parts and some smaller items from his newly created web-site. www.arrowmotorizedcycles.com

For publicity Dave created a three bike race team using neighborhood kids. They started racing in local races on asphalt (Le Grange in Apple Valley Ca.) as well as dirt. Dave's initial concept for the dikes was to resemble flat track bikes since that was his passion and background, so this called for him to manufacture his own frames, gas tanks, and seats. He sourced existing twenty four inch wheels and tires, Shimano drive train (sprockets, hubs, levers, calipers, etc.) with Avid rotors. The tires are three inch wide dirt track style bicycle tires and Dave prefers the 66cc engine called the "Gruby Skyhawk". Stock this engine produces 2 ½ horse power but with Dave's modifications he can reliably get 8-10 horse power, which in this trim have been clocked as fast as fifty miles per hour on the street. Total weight of an Arrow Motorized Cycles machine tips the scales at fifty five pounds with 6 1/2 " steel cranks (with standard pedals) and the 24" Sun rims. In this configuration a buyer can expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1,500, of course with lighter materials and more custom work the price will head upward.

As for the law where these motorized cycles / bicycles (they do have pedals) is concerned. As long as you wear a DOT approved helmet, adhere to traffic laws and don't exceed thirty miles per hour (right) they are not considered by the DMV to need a license plate or have the need to meet their codes. Think of it this way, you couldn't keep up with Lance Armstrong on your own bicycle, but on an Arrow you just might be able to. It's like performance enhancing without the penalties. 

For information you can reach Dave at(562) 640-1244[/]

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Pushies
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:19 pm »
A few years ago a Yamaha push bike come up for sale on E bay I lusted so bad for one of these as a child ( the rich kid up the street had one ) I bid straight up only to see it go well over the $700.00 mark. I guess some people lusted even more than me ;D
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »
A few years ago a Yamaha push bike come up for sale on E bay I lusted so bad for one of these as a child ( the rich kid up the street had one ) I bid straight up only to see it go well over the $700.00 mark. I guess some people lusted even more than me
Jonesy's got a couple of those Yamaha pushies Mick...he got them pretty cheap though, nothing near $700.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »
Wow what cool photos, are those rims the 'Tuff plastic rims' on the DG bike? The second pic is amazing, so cool with the period stuff and what a huge crowd.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:41:25 am »
Anyone remember the Super LA BMX Bikes?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »
How about the ultimate seventies BMX status symbol, a Webco with front and rear suspension and genuine Magnesium wheels. These things are worth a fortune now...so are Webco motorcycle parts for that matter.

Or a Champion BMX, made by Doug Schwerma of Champion flat tracker fame. Not that it's got magnesium wheels made by Moto-Mag.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:00:41 pm by firko »

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 05:44:14 pm »
Here's my Crossrider Mono

My cousin had one of these when I was a young fella,lusted after one for years,now i'm a 46 year old 1st time BMX owner ;D

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:50 am »
Not bmx but i had a west coast choppers bobber style pushie they usually have a flat black fake tank and rear guard but these were painted metalic blue the tank had a skull with flames coming off it ghosted in a lighter colour blue and the rear guard just had flames ghosted on it sold it to a kid up the road about a year ago.Still got one of those long chrome cruiser style pushies with the ape hanger bars they were about $1800 new the frame was rusty so now its satin black polished alloy tripple clamps polished alloy seat pole clamp and purple rims with full white tyres ill get some photos and stick them up.cheers.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:56 am »
I've got an old cruiser hanging in the bike rack in the garage waiting for restoration (and my knee replacement). It's a cool old thing with springer front end and 64 spoke wheels.

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »
How about the ultimate seventies BMX status symbol, a Webco with front and rear suspension and genuine Magnesium wheels. These things are worth a fortune now...so are Webco motorcycle parts for that matter.

Pretty sure I have an old Webco dealer catalogue somewhere or another
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.