Author Topic: Coloured rims ethical dilemma - opinions please  (Read 1517 times)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Coloured rims ethical dilemma - opinions please
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:01:58 pm »
Ok there is a bit of background needed here to understand my dilemma
A friend sold me a frame kit recently. It's a plated steel kit frame with bronze welded joints made in the early 1980s for TY175 running gear. My friend bought the frame kit in 1988. The graphics on the white fibreglass tank that came with it are the same as what was on the then-current white tank air-cooled mono TY250. Along with the frame kit, he also bought new, gold-anodised AKRONT rims to replace the standard TY aluminium rims. The motivation for the gold rims would have been so that the kit framed bike looked like the then-current TY250 which also had gold rims.
OK its not 1988 anymore, and I don't much like gold rims on early 1980s bikes (it was a mid to late 1980s phenomenon in trials to have gold rims). When I build the wheels for it, I can use refurbished original rims or the gold AKRONT rims.
There's another consideration too. Another mate wants the gold AKRONTS to fit to his (yellow and blue) 1981 SWM trials bike.

Should I honour my mate's original 1988 intention for the kit framed bike and fit the gold rims, or should I use TY rims on it?
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Coloured rims ethical dilemma - opinions please
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »
If you don't like the gold rims the answer is easy, sell them to Mr SWM & use the money on something that you appreciate for the bike

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »
Go gold....lifes too short...build it as they where going too since its rare.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mainline

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »
It's your bike now, sell the gold rims on and use the ones you want.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »
The real question is "are you building the bike to match your mate's vision, or something else?" - the answer will be very obvious once you work that out.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »
Dave, I'll admit I'm an anorak about originality but I reckon if it can be reversed to original spec go with your gut.

AFAIR, the first trials bike with gold rims was either the white wonder Mont or the SWM so it would have been about '83'ish.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:33 pm »
There is no such thing as to much Bling  ;D

It's your bike so YOU are the only opinion that matters.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle