Author Topic: 1st 4 stroke to qualify for a supercross main?  (Read 27036 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1st 4 stroke to qualify for a supercross main?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:33 am »
That would be cool ola. When I spoke to Willie in 01 he said they had been testing a reverse head and EFI....had to hide them from the orange police. Its amazing how many Berger philles are on here....good to see. Its a shame that the 2013's are tarted up oranges. Did anybody buy all those Berger parts on evilbay 6 months ago from Caldicotts?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2012, 08:50:06 am »
Great thread.
I too had a 2000 model Husaberg. Hopefully it may surface again in the future for me. Gave it away in the end. Gives me the shits as to my vertemati being stolen. Another trick as shit bike and a low hour one to boot. I just bought the next model which was the first vor as its black. Has the bolt together frame like the vertemati
. My 2000 berg had a change of colour with the '01 yellow tank and yellow frame.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:31:31 am by 090 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2012, 09:04:15 am »
One of the Belgians Johan Boonan rode a Berg in the Evo (pre 90) des Nations race at Farleigh this year and ran up front with Hughes and DeWitt. Only 4stroke in the race from what i can see.

mainline

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:03 am »
Re the forks they refer to, i have a set of those Marzocchi forks and corresponding tripple clamps and they are/were a disaster and not much better than the WP Extremes which I also have a set off, both fitted to my motocross Husabergs and the bloody things leak oil just looking at them.

Funny you should mention that, I'm rebuilding a 97 ktm300 at the moment, and the new seals in both forks started leaking before I've even ridden the bike. I'm hoping that changing the acme brand seals I put in to All-Balls seals will fix the problem ???

The Marzocchi Magnums are excellent forks, with sloppy machining tolerances. They work WAY better than the USDs of the era - as I've said before, sub-45mm USDs are fundamentally flawed and suffer from bush bind.

To keep seals in them:
1. Use good seals, with fresh dust wipers.
2. Get the bushes right. New is not any assurance of right - most need shimming nowdays.
3. Put fork boots on.
4. If its all too much, I'll happily swap you for a pair of any early~mid 90s jap production USDs that you want...
;)

Now back to the original topic...

Thanks, I'll see how they go this time around. I'm a bit over the bike to be honest, way harder to fix up a newish bike than an old one. I'm going to get it running and see if I like it before I keep spending money on it.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 03:06:25 pm »

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:21:49 pm by 090 »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
And some more Vertemati.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:32:08 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
One of the Belgians Johan Boonan rode a Berg in the Evo (pre 90) des Nations race at Farleigh this year and ran up front with Hughes and DeWitt. Only 4stroke in the race from what i can see.

Be interesting to see what the model/spec was. The first production Husaberg was 1989, and from memory was a 500cc enduro model. Examples of the 89 model are vey rare and I only know of one, owned by a forum member on here.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Any idea what year models they are?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »

They look nearly the same.. Are they just a year apart?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »
Thats Smets in the 2nd photo....he rode for them before Husaberg and you can see the Berg motor.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2012, 07:44:52 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Any idea what year models they are?

Brad, the top 2 pics are of the bike Smett's rode in the world MX GP in 1994. He carried the no.3 from the 1993 season when he rode a Husaberg. In a weird twist he finished 3rd in 1994 on the Vertemati so the bikes would have to be 1994 models. He went back to Husaberg in 1995 and won the championship.

The pic of bike 22 is weird. The swingarm is of a completely different profile. My understanding is that Vertemati/VOR ran the same swingarm all the way through. Also there is a weird pick-up in the stator cover and conventional Marzocchi's forks are fitted in place of USD WP's.
What the hell the other one is, who knows, but I do know that they have a terrible choice in colours!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:47:13 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »
Thats Smets in the 2nd photo....he rode for them before Husaberg and you can see the Berg motor.

Husaberg & Vertemati were essentially one in the same bike till the mid 90's coming out of the same manafacturing premises. This link gives an outline of what occurred.
http://www.vertemati.com/en/main/
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »

Husaberg & Vertemati were essentially one in the same bike till the mid 90's coming out of the same manafacturing premises. This link gives an outline of what occurred.
http://www.vertemati.com/en/main/
Interesting read although a little difficult to understand through translation. Those 4 strokes are cool bikes, coming out of little factories with a real works look about them.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:20 pm »
I agree, Husaberg had like 20 odd employees and built the whole bike....took on the big factories and beat then....you dont see much of that now....all the future bikes will soon be coming out of China.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »

They look nearly the same.. Are they just a year apart?
Certainly the next model. From what Bogaart told me two years apart but next model.