Author Topic: Early Myrtleford Motorcross  (Read 10143 times)

Offline jady

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Early Myrtleford Motorcross
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »
More photos, this time the Myrtleford MX Open in 1981. All of the Junior class.

Starting line-up, Juniors.

Waiting for the elastic band to spring across, Juniors.

Start of a Juniors race. I remember getting a holeshot in one of these races and being so surprised that after the first few turns I slowed down, as I'd never been out in front before. Before long I was at the back of the pack, eating dust again  :)

Good view of the hill, as I chase the pack around in last place.

Number 14, Juniors.

It's a long way on that last lap while they all wait for you to get off the track to start the next race...

Couple of good races at Myrtleford.

cheers, Jady
CR125RC, XR400. Sadly sold the RM500 :-( Once was Viper #467

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
  If my failing memory serves me correctly, at this particular meeting there was a jump down on the flat ground near the start finish line that sent the riders straight up, losing their speed then straight down and a few broke their rims/wheels on that day.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall hearing that on the day.

Don't remember the jump but I do recall some sharp edged bump on the flat ground near the start finish line that someone broke both wrists when they hit it.
Would have been sometime in the early 80's, but then it could be my failing memory.

Good shots too guys.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »
wow Jady, these are just great. Up until now I had no pics whatsoever of my old race days. I'm right behind Simon in the very first pic and then later on my 125G #46 on the line in the juniors. tell Simon thanks and keep them coming!  :P
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 05:14:34 am »
  If my failing memory serves me correctly, at this particular meeting there was a jump down on the flat ground near the start finish line that sent the riders straight up, losing their speed then straight down and a few broke their rims/wheels on that day.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall hearing that on the day.

Don't remember the jump but I do recall some sharp edged bump on the flat ground near the start finish line that someone broke both wrists when they hit it.
Would have been sometime in the early 80's, but then it could be my failing memory.

Good shots too guys.

spot on Geoff, the guy that broke both wrists is a very occasional forum member and a mate of mine!
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:39:51 am »
Hey guys. Excellent photos, thanks for the extra input. Some of Australia's best riders rode here at one time or another. As to the jump previously mentioned, Spot Croucher the owner of the land and track had heavy earth moving equipment. One day I went up for practice and Spot wanted to do a large tabletop on the bottom of the track. He asked me to help set up the gap and as he made it I would come from the start line, hit the ramp and and test the distance. As the gap got bigger it ended up being 4th gear on my yz490 at about 3/4 throttle. You had to back off after being flat out past the start Finnish line. On race day I hit the ramp and came up short kicking the back wheel over the top and cartwheeling. As I hit the deck the throttle jammed flat out and my leg was jammed in the back wheel and burnt through my nylons. I was the first one to crash on the jump I helped design that day. Couldn't ride again until the skin grew back on my leg.
Jack of all Master of none