Author Topic: Romsey Grass Track  (Read 23051 times)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Romsey Grass Track
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »
An awesome pic from Romsey .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:58:57 pm by KB171 »

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »
And Ray Owen in 3rd place. Great pic.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 07:35:26 pm »
I might add,.....
What a place,...What a time,...
Romsey was the Holy Grail.
    Regards   Mark

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
In 1979 was running 4th in a heat to make the main final. Closed in on 3rd coming down the straight and went to pass just after the first corner by just going a tad wider and keeping it cranked on. Was just off the dirt , in the grass when bang hit a little hole that was covered by the grass, derailed the chain which made a lovely mess of the swing arm and sprocket. The Godden I had/ have runs only a bees dick of clearance. Shit it was a long push back to the pits. Great track many memories of Dewhurst, Flood, HalfPint and Chasemore. Old man Chasemore used to turn up with a car trailer full of bikes for Gary. I reckon he could of funded Bert floods retirement with all the work he got done there. Pissed I didn't make a final there as the big boys really flew as did the trike bikes. Rooneys kwaka, just plain scary speed.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »
i regret i never saw those events, surely someone must have super 8 footage?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »
What fantastic memories watching that day! Take note of the track record times, all around two minutes. Remember this was basically a very long very rough circular dirt/grass track around the perimeter of the local Romsey golf course(*). The speeds were lets say staggering..... :) :o

* Yes a golf course! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hoony can you imagine the what the Vincent/HRD ,JAP 880s and all the other outfits were like on that giant track!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:50:21 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 01:09:07 pm »
Looks like the wind had gotten under the peak of Crumpy's helmet, no bikini fairing to get behind.
Gary Flood was also riding at Crewe in England with Phil around that time, great photo's.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
Unreal photo of proper Grasstrack !!,
It looks like Crumpie's on a Skids bike, you can see the push-bar over the rear guard, but then I think Jawa Longtrackers had them as well.
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:10 pm »
Some sneaky tactics were in place at Romsey on race day. Bikes would be coming into the pits covered up .Small groups of riders/spectators would gather around for the
"unveiling" of the new weapon! Over the years I've seen some rippers.
 Hagon 350cc yamaha twin/aircooled roadrace engine.
 Hagon TZ350 yammy twin/watercooled roadrace engine
 Hagon RG 500 suzuki twin/watercooled roadrace engine
 The latest 4 valve Jawa longtrack bike ridden by Gary Chasemore
 These bikes were scary fast!! The tz 350 ridden by Phil Crump was throwing a rooster tail 10/20 ft into the air. Fantastic stuff.
     Regards   Mark

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
Hey guys, check out YouTube, someone has put up Romsey Grasstrack sidecars film and I think it shows the big crash with John Heavyside in it. I was sitting on the corner post in the pits that day as dad was racing his bultaco Hagon.
Jack of all Master of none

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 11:26:26 pm »
Hey guys, check out YouTube, someone has put up Romsey Grasstrack sidecars film and I think it shows the big crash with John Heavyside in it. I was sitting on the corner post in the pits that day as dad was racing his bultaco Hagon.

What an awesome bit of footage, thanks for pointing that one out. I went to school and had a fair bit to do with John Heaviside's daughters in my teens. I actually ended up working at his foundry on school holidays for a while, lovely bloke if ya on his better side! :D I remember he used to keep all his old bikes mothballed behind the offices of the foundry, god there's a few lovely bit of machinery there!! I haven't ever seen him ride anything other than a zzr1100 but the trophys and sash's ive seen around the place tell me he was no slouch!! Maybe I'll get into the daughters ears and see if they can pep him up to swing a leg over something at hbbb next year!!  ;D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 11:38:26 pm »
Fantastic footage. Also Dave Barry from Wangaratta told me that in google their is an ariel photo of the track at Romsey. This was where I accidentally found the video. John Heavyside was a good friend of my father, Ray Wason.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:27:23 pm by RW490 »
Jack of all Master of none

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 11:45:35 pm »
Fantastic,  8) 8) what a blast from the past,  I was in the mob of spectators on the left of screen that day, great close up veiwing till the sidecars started going arseover straight at us  :o I hope some more footage emerges.

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:39 am »

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 08:41:53 am »
Thats unreal. I was there that day and that was a real bad stack. Bits of bike flew all over the place as did the riders/passengers.  There is footage of solos  as well.