Author Topic: Is your VMX bike ever really finished ?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline subarumy98

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Is your VMX bike ever really finished ?
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »
Now I don't think I am a restoration perfectionist, but there's always something to do on a VMX bike. I'm talking about after the rebuild, once you have started racing them.

The initial few rides consists of a lot of picking up pieces from what has fallen off. They vibrate and shake much more than the modern stuff - so stuff comes loose far more often.

Then, once you start racing, there's the setup phase. Controls, cable routing, brake adjustment and so on. Some more stuff will fall off in this phase.

Just when things settle down - your creative side takes over. What if I change this, or bush that, or maybe run double sealed bearings here. Suddenly you have a whole new list of things to work on.

Now its the end of the season, there's crash damage, worn sprocket and chain, rounded knobbies and so on. Some more work to do. :)

Passion is out of the window now - we're talking lunacy here, because now we make it even harder by adding a 2nd or 3rd bike to the racing stable. This is where is becomes dangerous, because you can easily end up doing more wrenching than riding.

When this happens - you have to take a break from the obsession. Go ride, visit a buddy building a bike, go for another, page through a VMX magazine, go ride again. Now you are pumped up - head into the garage and show the spanners who's BOSS.

Notes from the field:
- Target the easiest fixes first - that way you have something to ride at a moments notice.
- Then target the oldest bikes first - you can always ride up a class if your GP weapon isn't ready.
- Only tackle 1 rebuild at a time.
- Strip and assess everything before you place your first parts order. Nothing worse than paying shipping twice, 3 times, surely not 4 times Sir ?
- Keep your old spares as samples - you never know when you will need them again.
- Box everything, don't mix your RM and KTM spares
- Make sure you are having fun. Go ride if you aren't.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Is your VMX bike ever really finished ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:15:11 pm »
No never finished :D
The list that never ends  :o
 this is a good thread you covered all areas well ;) we all need something to play with so we dont get bored :P

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
If you don't ride it it can be. :)

Same with newer bikes I discovered the swingarm the other day on my 98 wr360 had broke around near the sprocket so that bike is in bits but when some thing like that happens it gives you a chance to fix other things as well if your going to pull a bike to bits you may as well freshen every thing up.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »
I think I'll go and put new wheel bearings in the front wheel and where's fork oil. I really should drop the motor I'm sure there's a stripped thread in the head. Year always something to do. ;D ::) But ain't it great.

I,m not very smart but I can lift heavy objects.(well I used to be able to.)