Author Topic: Pumping up rear shocks at home  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping up rear shocks at home
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:45 pm »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law#section_1

http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/physics-terms/expansion-info.htm

But hey, manufacturers use N2 so it must be the only thing that works, just like we only ever use original grips and tyres and oil to stop our bikes oxidising... :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
Eric... please... please... please... just try it and report back on how you go...

Enough of the round table discussion... Enough I tells ya, enough...  >:(

And no I don't give a tinkers cuss about manufacturers, original grips, tires or f#%king oil... that doesn't mean diddly squat and has nothing, I repeat NOTHING to do with pressurising shocks.  UGGGGGGG!!!!!

Good luck Eric. I hope it goes well!!!   ::)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »
Gotta love when the phrase 'tinkers cuss' is used in anger  ;D
 Why not R232 refrgeration gas if these shocks get so hot..........worked for Ferrari in their tyres
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 10:27:00 pm »
i've always used LPG when regassing my shocks, except on really cold days when i've had more success with BBQ gas (i think it's the Butane). i've tried using NG but have problems with mains pressure being too low. 

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »
next time i want to try some helium, might help reduce the weight of the heavy Yamaha shock  :o

maico police

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:51 am »
Sorry your Honour. Badly phrased. I meant preasure from all that moisture that's being heated up.

I didn't have to get a  masters degree like yourself Nath to race motocross. It's not that hard. The people that built these bikes and the associated performance parts knew all that stuff. Not some mad, back-yarding amature that seems hell-bent on bending every law of physics (and common sense) in proving that they can do it better.

Now I understand that you're a wizard at using a gum leaf and Gasket Goo at making a base gasket at a track or using ear wax in a holed piston to keep on racing ( ???) for the day however I'm silly enough to follow the manufacturers recommendations for servicing and not have to rebuild my bikes track-side.

No for me it's pretty simple. I just look at my bikes.

And then I look at yours...... ::)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:35:33 am by Mont »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:04 am »
Maybe, just maybe, other people have different goals from their involvement in old bikes?
Maybe some of us enjoy increasing their knowledge, rather than meekly opening their wallet whenever something goes wrong?
But hey, you keep wanting to pick a fight because you have an over-inlfated sense of self importance - so I'm happy to keep shooting you down.

So, without resorting to ad hominem attacks again, do you actually want to try to tell me where I'm wrong?
Or have you finally realised that I'm right?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maico police

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 09:29:30 am »
Of course you're right.  :P When have you never been? I just await the next gem (be it bike or outrageous thought).......
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:32:45 am by Mont »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 09:46:45 am »
If Nathan was right all the Race teams across the planet would be using air instead of nitrogen in their shocks... But they don't

Montynut

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 09:56:57 am »
So Nathan you don’t consider

“I assume you finished high school, Mont?
I also assume you did some sort of science back then? Or were you too busy with your interpretative dance electives?
Now, using those high school science skills, explain to me about how "air builds up" in a shock reservoir. I've given you a big fat hint on how to work it out the pressure rise due to a change in temperature - if you try hard, I'll even tell you how much it will alter the effective spring rate (pro tip: sod-all).”

To be an ad hominem attack!  ::) ::)

Nathan fill your shocks with whatever you want, you own em and have every right to do whatever you want with em.

This is starting to look like one of those 20 page crappy threads that fill up the ‘recent post’ section of the page and hide the truly interesting and informative threads.
Pleasssssssssssse  :'( cease

maico police

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59:55 am »
I'm done. :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 10:35:32 am »
Look, this one is pretty simple: I made a statement that the three stooges thought was wrong, and they called me on it.
Then I've been able to demonstrate that I was right, and now they're flailing around desperately trying to justify their own incorrect opinion.
The need to misrepresent what I said ("if Nathan was right, then race teams would use air"), ad hominem attacks ('you once bodged a bike to finish a race meeting therefore you must be wrong on this topic' and 'he'll have to have the last word - stubborn bastards can't possibly know about high-school physics') show that you're collectively incapable of refuting the technical points that I put forward.

Maybe you could pause to consider that your inability to counter what I've said is because I'm actually correct - and so while we're all douches who argue on the Internet, I have the advantage of being the one douche who is correct?
:)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 10:43:17 am »
Best we let all the suspension technicians across the globe know that a forum whore from Yass has proven them wrong and they're wasting their money on nitrogen...

maico police

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 10:55:52 am »
I'll put it to Paul Thede in a few weeks time instead of arguing the toss here. Now I'm done......

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
Keep digging your holes deeper fellas. :)
Then go back and read the bit where I said 'Nitrogen is best, but air will work fine'.