Author Topic: weather getting warmer watch out for serpents  (Read 2004 times)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
weather getting warmer watch out for serpents
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:29 am »
Had a bit of a sad day yesterday me two old dogs one a blue heeler the other a Brindle bully cross were quite interested in a garden for the want of a better word so i had a look at what all five dogs were looking at found a 1.5 mt tiapan, sent the dogs back to the house better relocate this one, long story short bloody silly bluey had to come back gets bitten then the old blokes a bit deaf wouldnt come off bitten also. bluey lasts about 2 minutes and hits the ground followed by the old bloke about 2 minutes later the bluey was in so much pain i had to shoot her then the old fella as well. that blue heelers days have always been numbered she just hated snakes she has killed about 15-20 in the last seven years so i was never going to end well....i'm gunna miss these dogs now i m'm gunna have to look where im walking now i dont have Tilly to save me from the serpents :-[
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: weather getting warmer watch out for serpents
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
How sad for you, really sorry to hear about the loss of your doggies :(. I have already encountered a brown while doing the fence line, so like you I'am always on guard now.

In memory of your doggies :(
Jackie Mac
Be kind to your neighbour!!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
i was out my mates farm today and he said he shot a king brown last week so ill be on the lookout when im on my farm in a months time.

sorry to hear about your much loved dogs as they become part of your family and its sad when there gone.

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:59:32 am »
Sorry to hear about your dogs they are always part of the family and are sadly missed. There are reptiles starting to move about in the forest around here I have seen a few already nearly stoped on top of one last time out fortunatly only a Red Belly Black and he just wanted to get to cover. The goannas are statring to sun themselves on the trails and they often get to the side of the trail and change their mind and turn around to go back to the other side been some real close calls lately and I dont fancy taking them for a ride.
Regards Rod.
I,m not very smart but I can lift heavy objects.(well I used to be able to.)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:37:42 am »
I cant believe how many of the little buggers are out and about, the old red belly i dont have a problem with cause at the moment around here they are slow and fat and dont pose much of a threat but the big browns and tipans are another story, just hope everyone watches where they put their feet now were all in thongs and shorts,just gotta be carefull and watch out...........
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »
Sad news about your diggy dogs chrisdespo.  :'(
Looks like they are getting pushed out of their home lands..too many vmx tracks on the east coast    ;D  ;)

Police are investigating how a New South Wales teenager came to be bitten by an Inland Taipan, considered one of the world's most dangerous snakes.
The 17-year-old male from Kurri was bitten on the hand yesterday afternoon and is in a serious but stable condition in Newcastle's Mater hospital.
Wildlife rescue officials identified the snake, which is usually found in the Northern Territory and Queensland.
Police are concerned it may have been kept illegally but have ruled out any connection to the recent theft of snakes from a Hunter Valley zoo.
The teenager suffered a severe bite and police hope to speak to him about where the snake came from when he recovers.
Toxicologist at the Mater, Dr Geoff Isbister says recovering from such a bite can take weeks.
"It is probably one of our most dangerous snakes in Australia," he said
"It's a very large snake and when it bites, it definitely strikes, often strikes twice and envenoms in almost every case.
"In terms of its effects, it causes blood not to clot, but its most important effect is it causes neurotoxicity.
"So if it's not treated early, it can cause paralysis."
Dr Isbister says the teenager was lucky to have been treated quickly.
"We had anti-venom in stock, we keep what's called polyvalent anti-venom and that covers all of our snakes.
"We use that rather than having Taipan anti-venom, there's not that much difference between Taipan and polyvalent, so we had access to it immediately, and he was treated very early."
The Taipan is now in the hands of reptile handlers in the Hunter Valley.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/hunter-teen-bitten-by-deadly-snake/4282944
Best is in the West !!

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:36:15 pm »
Went outside this morning to find the kids cat laying on the front deck in a very unnatural way...snake bite for sure. luckily the kids were away with the grandmother and didnt see it. Being the kids pet i took it to the vet, who confirmed a serpent bite, couldnt do anything for it. One of the bad points about living in a rural area, we have heaps of browneys and the occasional red belly black, but havent had much trouble so far touch wood.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)