Author Topic: what brand of body armour do you use  (Read 2251 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
what brand of body armour do you use
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »
i bought a set on ebay 2 years ago and use it for dirt track.have had 2 heavy falls and both time have broken ribs.i was wondering if my body armour is too hard (so is the track by the way) and it could be causing the major injurys.
any thoughts.
both times i face planted into the track.allways on my left side
jim

maico police

Re: what brand of body armour do you use
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:55 pm »
Body armour is only meant to protect you from roost. Hopefully it'll stop a foot-peg entering your chest cavity but that's a bonus if it does.  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »
They always say that it's just about roost protection, but even a quick look at the design shows that it is intended to do more (esp turtle suits) - "protection from roost" is just a disclaimer.

I busted a rib or two last year in a low side - landed on my elbow (which was nicely protected by the elbow guard part of the turtle suit...).
Made it obvious that there's no protection there - a layer of plastic with some high density foam under it would be a big increase in protection. Dunno how it would go for comfort in terms of movement or heat.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:15:36 pm »
JT of course!  ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:13 pm »
I think I've used just about all the differing variants from all the manufacturers but keep coming back to a Dainese pressure suit, this current one now 5 years old. I reckon they can't be beat for allover body protection. Whilst not in keeping with a Vintage look, most of us are of an age that we need all the protection we can have!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:32:30 pm »
When I rode Speedway it was one peice leathers and a back protector, even that wasn't compulsory.
For my comeback 2 years ago I bought an Enduro Jacket, one zip on & one zip off.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:58:21 pm »
I'll back TeeBone on the Dainese pressure suit.
I don't ride speedway or flat track but in the hard rocky ground up here it's taken some hard knocks without me getting hurt. The gouges in the armour panels indicate I would have lost some skin without it.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Sweep Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »
Hi,
Full pressure suit for me.
I had on off over the bars down a hill couple years back and did my collar bone and 3 ribs and the Doc said thank god you had the suit on.
I had that O'neill suit for years and upgraded to a 661 a few months back and don't like it. I prefer my old one.
Knee guards and suit have saved me heaps.
1974 TM 250, 1974 XL 250 Moto Sport, 1976 RM 370A, 1976 RM 125A, 1977 IT 250D, 1978 SP 370, 1984 XR 200R

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »
Slightly off topic but I'd like to see a pressure suit type thing for the lower body.
Mesh pants (kinky!) with hard and soft armour moulded in.

Maybe hard segmented knee guards, thigh protection, hip padding and soft padding for the backside.
The older I get, the faster I was

albrid-3

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »
Steve Cramer body armor

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »
Probaly not vmx specific but more trail riding/enduro a couple of years ago I had a moment with an end of a fallen tree which was perfectly lined up in an s shape from ground to middle of my chest at about 40kph in the direction of my travel's(not the one intended) and manage to break my sternum and three ribs causing 5 months off work 4 of which i couldnt twist allot or drive a car(=stir crazy at home) the doctors say that if I didnt have body armor on I would've been no more, one of my riding mates wife said they studied it at nursing uni (2011) and not many had survived this trauma i was the first they had heard of, so if it zips up the middle for the predator type suit leave it on the shelf mine zipped up from the side. 661 was the brand and I owe it my life it hangs in the shed along with the tree end i hit as a constant reminder went back with a chainsaw and a mate and cut it into peices two days after i got out of hospital (therapy i think) had a good drink and a bonfire with the rest of it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:13:14 pm by mavman4200p »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
That sounded like a good recomendation for the brand, glad to hear you came good!
 I wear Dianese upper body stuff since a cracked rib a few years ago.

Recently I bought a pair of stubby size under dacks with padding inserted in appropriate places which I have found very benificial in my recent RT1 missadventures where I occasionally sit on my bum and have found they make up for the old age ( of me ) and also the old age of the hip padding in my 1964 made leathers.
 I got them from Ballards for around $50.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!