Author Topic: Chain tensioning dahhh!!!  (Read 1587 times)

ttfreak

Chain tensioning dahhh!!!
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:58:06 pm »
Hi guys, I have a problem. I have a tt500 with a banana swingarm. The problem I have is that I am not sure the correct way of tensioning the chain. I have tried to tension as per normal (1 inch play) but when I do this the chain tensioner  has that much tension on it and the chain wants to rub underneath the swingarm (ouch!!!). When I tension the chain enough for the chain to miss the swing arm the chain is as tight as a piano wire. PLEASE!! Whats the go.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:59:15 pm by ttfreak »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Chain tensioning dahhh!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
Fit a spring loaded chain tensioner - there isn't much hope of getting a correct tension otherwise. They are available aftermarket or adapt one from the single cam XT/TT250's for example. Do it sooner rather than later!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

ttfreak

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »
That's the thing. It already does!

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:09 pm »
Perhaps the tensioners positioning needs changing. I don't know where its sited now. Hang it closer to the sprocket maybe?
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

ttfreak

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:54 pm »
Thanks for chatting. The tensioner is mounted on the standard tensioner mount 3/4 the way to front sprocket. I will look into it a bit further.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:29 am »
Set your chain tension with the front sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear axle in line. This is as tight as it will ever get so give it a little bit of slack. 10-15mm should be fine.

Rather than a spring loaded tensioner fit a roller from a late model bike. The roller should go as close to under the swingarm pivot as possible and you set the position, height wise, by again locating the sprockets and swingarm pivot in line and putting the roller up until it just touches the chain. There is room on the swingarm mounting plate on an XT/TT frame to accommodate this. Once it is set the chain tension will hardly vary it should hopefully clear the bend of the swingarm.

Since the end of Village photos I need to up load the photos of my set up again. I’ll post them when I get time.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline AR22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 12:11:09 am »
I have just recently joined this forum and have found this by using the search, I realise it is an old thread but this is exactly my issue

was this chain tension issue resolved, this is the worst part of my bike, the chain has to run way too slack to stop it over-tensioning when landing off a jump and a spring tensioner would simply push the chain up against the bottom of the swingarm

My next move was to maybe run a much larger rear sprocket (and front) to try and increase the clearance. I have contacted Talon and they say they can make a custom one ok. I have 14/52 but thinking 15/55

any advice would be appreciated

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:51:07 am »
500 thumpers run their countershaft spocket along way from the swingarm pivot compared to bikes that had long travel suspension like say the rm125a on  that's why you need to run the chain very slack but as Brent j said a roller under the swingarm pivot will help as will as modern rear spocket chain guide such as a tt600 one