Author Topic: Exhaust builder  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Exhaust builder
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
Wanting to get a pipe and muffler built for my wessie. Have converted my long tracker to a short circuit bike but still want to use a low slung right hand pipe rather than up pipe on the left. Thinking about a reverse cone megaphone. Does anyone have measurements/ photos I could show to a fabricator. Thinking about using the shop at Slacks Creek but happy to use others. Titan suggested Emu products but he tells me the mega would be from 1mm sheet and I was thinking this was a bit thin? Thoughts?

Curly3

Re: Exhaust builder
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »

I doubt this'll help Rosco but this is a sketch my father did in the late 60's.
It's for a B40 350 BSA and I know he actually used those dimensions because I still have the bike it was used on, I'm sure there would be a lot more up to date design info available but this bike was very competitive in the 350cc class on Dirt Track.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »
 Thats pretty good Slides. 51'' total length.  By memory though i think 56'' for a 500 is closer to the right length. Foss or Jimbo should know
     regards  Mark
            ps     keep at it Rosco, like to see the end result

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:46 pm »
Yeah Mark, it'll be interesting to see how dad's dimensions compares to today's theory.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:52:14 pm »
Have basically got exhaust, clutch, ignition system, chains and cables to go. Hope to finish soon but have been surprised at resto costs so far and clutch and ignition ain't going to be cheap, but I hope it will be worth it . Will take some photos and put up soon

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:02 pm »
 Be conscious of the decibels!
 I have been thinking of making something similar for my XT slider but was thinking about extending the straight pipe through to meet up with the reverse cone [welded to the O.D. of the pipe], holes drilled in the pipe [wrapped in fibre glass] all enclosed in the megaphone cone.

How would that go?
 From memory the older B series Goldies pipe in common usage used 14" long mega with 4" throat and overall length of 48"
 cheers pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:49 pm »
Exactly what I was looking to do. Don't want to put a modern type muffler on it and happy to play around with packing etc to achieve decibel rating. At my speed it won't matter anyway!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »
I think Mark's right about the 56 inches total Roscoe, rings a bell here, too. I have an old bashed up pipe and megga in the shed, off a Jawa I think, but to my mind the megga is way too short, I was gunna suggest emailing Antig's Dave Perry for some info, as they still sell new Wessies

Went looking for info on Wessie exhausts on the net and came across a colour, late '70s, Hagon catalouge, it's a pearler, there's a heap of  bikes and stuff in it, sent Slides a copy, he was stoked, pm me your email address and I'll send you a copy, I'll send a copy to you , too Mark.
Foss

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:07:58 pm by JAP 454 »

Curly3

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
Rosco, I've got 2 pipes that are made pretty close to those dimensions, one is open and the other has some primitive baffling installed.
I reckon increase the dia of both the header and the mega to suit a 500 Wessie and go with the 56" length.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:31:28 pm »
rosco
just do what the bikes of the early 70s had full length speedway with 2 stols under neat at the end.they sounded nice
brett chipperfield has an up pipe on his jawa with a muffler in the middle.all chrome looks and sounds great
jim

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
rosco
just do what the bikes of the early 70s had full length speedway with 2 stols under neat at the end.they sounded nice
brett chipperfield has an up pipe on his jawa with a muffler in the middle.all chrome looks and sounds great
jim
geezas, 2 stols under neat at the end,hey Freaky,translation please  ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:08 am »
He meant " two slots underneath", but he's right, they sounded great ! That sounded like a Freaky post,but it was Jim !!!
Foss
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:30:00 am by JAP 454 »

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:09 am »
In regards to silencing reversa cones, I had a system on my harley made by Graham Harris in NZ.
 It had a perforated pipe held in by three fingers either end, finished right at the widest section of the cone. The pipe was not connectd to the front of the megaphone, it was had to tell but looked to be about 3/4 to 1 inch from the front end,
This was quite effective as the first one I saw (should I say heard) was at the first classic titles at Phillip Island and could be heard from one side of the track to the other!
 This bloke knows his exhausts, check out his site Harris Pipes?
The whole 2-1 system cost $400 nz (92) raw, so he was not that expensive either.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.