Author Topic: Australian Post Classic Championship CANCELLED  (Read 6187 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Australian Post Classic Championship CANCELLED
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:55:40 pm »
IMPORTANT NOTICE To All The Australian Post Classic Championship on the 10,11 & 12th August 2012  to be conducted by the Launceston Motocross and Scramble Club inc at Santarenna Park Bridport Tasmania.Due to lack of entrys in all classes our club executive has regrettably voted to cancel the upcoming event. We debated this decision for many hours and came to the conclusion that we had no alternative but to cancel the event as there is only 12 entrys which included only 3 from other states .
I personally am saddened by this decision as this being the first year of the CMX / CDT split championships I was hoping to have a good turn out to match the Classic Championships earlier this year and then knowing that the Commission had made the right decision to split the championships.

I am very upset that the mainland riders didn't support this event and our club seeing that the dates were released in October last year
Thankyou to those riders who made the effort to entry and I am sorry for the inconvenience
All entry moneys will be refunded

Regards
Shane Fraser
President
Launceston MX and Scramble Club inc. 

Curly3

Re: Australian Post Classic Championship CANCELLED
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »
I'm not into MX but that is a dissapointing development, the tyrrany of distance.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »
That's a crying shame as I like and respect the folks behind it. Unfortunately I still believe that holding the inaugural event away from the mainland was always headed for disaster based on the current state of the economy and the costs involved in getting over Bass Strait. I still believe that the split was the correct direction that the sport needed to take but for the first year of the new concept it needed to be as accessible to as many racers as possible to ensure the event was a success. Unfortunately, to most Post Classic racers Tassie is a little too inaccessible.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

albrid-3

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »
Well that is a shame, and proves a point over the last couple of years, with arguments about the split, you go one way, just goes to show their is no support from the young fellows who mouth off so much, and try and stuff up the vintage pre75, I get so pissed off. Know wonder clubs wipe there hands and walk away from running any events. If there was no events at all people would be still winging.
The cost to put an event on is not cheap, when riders don`t support it, throw the towel in and walk away.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:12:03 pm by 46m »

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
I don't think that's the case at all Dave, I agree with Firko that the split had to happen.
It is a combination of it being the first year of the split and the distance away.
The Post Classic DT Nat's don't look like they'll happen either.
Disappointing but in a few years time it'll all be a distant memorry.

albrid-3

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »
I am just disappointed for the clubs that host these events, I have ran a lot of meetings over the years, I just feel for the clubs.
I believe Australia Titles of any disscription should be ran in conjunction with other state rounds to gather your points, then a final desiding meeting at the end. much the same as F1, moto gp.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:40:30 am »
Well that is a shame, and proves a point over the last couple of years, with arguments about the split, you go one way, just goes to show their is no support from the young fellows who mouth off so much, and try and stuff up the vintage pre75, I get so pissed off. Know wonder clubs wipe there hands and walk away from running any events. If there was no events at all people would be still winging.
The cost to put an event on is not cheap, when riders don`t support it, throw the towel in and walk away.  >:(
Aside our differences,I have no idea how you can make such outlandish statements. Wrecking pre75? Mouthing off so much. About what? Wiping their hands and walking away?
So the cost of going over to Tasmania is not an issue? Time off work? For me specifically work has been bad since 2010. Do I pull money out of my arse? Also Tasmania obviously doesn't have a big following of the later classes as there was how many entries all up? A majority of the people from that particular state enter a championship no matter where it is. To expect the majority to come from interstate in my opinion would be a hard task. What a shame for Shane and the club either way. There is no doubt in my mind if you had a pre 78 nats it would be successful. It would be the same if it was in Wa. There ( I am assuming a bit here) is a huge pre75 following but not the later classes.
The only states that could handle a post nats will be Vic, Canberra, nsw or qld as there is a local following ( majority) and the interstaters.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
It's a real shame as we all know how passionate Shane and his club are.  But as was already stated i think MA made a poor decision to place the championships in Tassie for the first split one, where they should have placed it on the east coast to gain the support.  There should be know blame passed on to Shane and his boys as they like all of us are very passionate about the sport.  But MA did not do the right thing for the sport.  Do we ponder the question as to MA's thinking towards classic/post classic championships.  There are some great people working with MA but did they think this one through properly.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:31 am »
It's a real shame as we all know how passionate Shane and his club are.  But as was already stated i think MA made a poor decision to place the championships in Tassie for the first split one, where they should have placed it on the east coast to gain the support.  There should be know blame passed on to Shane and his boys as they like all of us are very passionate about the sport.  But MA did not do the right thing for the sport.  Do we ponder the question as to MA's thinking towards classic/post classic championships.  There are some great people working with MA but did they think this one through properly.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Ma will probably choose of there are more than one submission for a national event. So the way I understand it, a club puts their hand up to run a national event. If more than one, ma will choose which one . I'm sure Shane said that no one put their hand up for the post nationals, so the Tasmanian club put their hand up. If there is only one, naturally they would have a great chance of getting it I would think.
No one is at fault and no one is to blame.

maico police

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:34 am »
 There are some great people working with MA but did they think this one through properly.

No they didn't but I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers. It is a shame that it went tits up and I'm sure there's a lot of ill feeling about that. It's not down to people not supporting post '78 though.
 I think after the success of the Nats there a few years ago it was expected the same would happen. Obviously most of those guys were predominantly Pre 78.

Hold next year's in NSW on a non-holiday weekend and it'll be a sell-out. Just don't pander to the minority who don't like the 'jumpy, bumpy' bits (they're never gunna win anyhow.... ::))

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
I said it in my first post but when you look at the program for eg the one just held up here, a majority of entrants are locals or there abouts. At a wild guess 70%? I think that a place like Tasmania or if held in Wa the local percentage would be even higher. Without really knowing the numbers but what I have read for eg pre75 is huge in Wa but pre 90 is extremely small. I would think on my own assumptions of course that a post classic nationals in Wa would fail due to lack of local numbers.
Seeing that the locals were only single figures in entering the Tasmanian event, it would say to me that the pre90 movement is extremely small there as well.
It seems ' if you build it they will come ' is what the Tassie guys were hoping for but unfortunately did not happen.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:35:05 am »
Hold next year's in NSW on a non-holiday weekend and it'll be a sell-out
I think you're right Ross but on another tack...is there a chance this years event can be put on at another location at such short notice? Perhaps there's a club in Victoria, NSW, or Queensland that's prepared to take up the challenge?
(Just a random thought that there might be a faint light at the end of the tunnel.) :-\
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:45 am »
these events will allways succeed where the higher support base is, so MA needs to award these events accordingly, their fees are so high to conduct a National Title , they must use some common sense. Tassie is a long way for the majority of punters, as good as the club is, it's hard to warrant the expense to travel and compete as a back marker. MA should be appointing clubs to conduct the meeting on a share profit basis, not put the sole risk of the event on the organizing club.

cheers worms

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »
That's a crying shame as I like and respect the folks behind it. Unfortunately I still believe that holding the inaugural event away from the mainland was always headed for disaster based on the current state of the economy and the costs involved in getting over Bass Strait. I still believe that the split was the correct direction that the sport needed to take but for the first year of the new concept it needed to be as accessible to as many racers as possible to ensure the event was a success. Unfortunately, to most Post Classic racers Tassie is a little too inaccessible.

thats more than 2twice this year firko....  i have to agree with you and these where my thoughts exactly.   Perhaps the split needed a dry run with the numbers on then mainland on a strong post 78 club and track to set the concept in motion so it got a solid start and thne peel off to the wider states as the punters come to terms with it.

however whats done is done, we just have to make it happen next year, and tap into that rider base, rather than hope pre 75 guys have bikes to be able to ride up.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

Just maybe they shouldn't have been split maybe the Championships should have been run over 3-4 days pre 78 first while the track is not too cut up and post 78 after?