Author Topic: Granite Park, Seymour  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Granite Park, Seymour
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »
Just returned from a quick trip to Melboune. Had the dog as a traveling companion and he needed a walk, so we went for a stroll around the old Granite Park at Seymour. Firstly it was a pity to see it in so much disrepair, obviously even the car club no longer use it. I last raced there in 74/75, so it's been a while, but what blew me away was that my memory hadn't factored in , how big and wide the track was. Makes many present tracks only suitable for mini bikes. Second thing the memory hadn't remembered was that the big sweeper at the end of the straight can't be seen until you are there due to the drop off factor just past the tower. Gives another perspective how good the boys were on the big sliders. Got a 3rd in the sub-junior class at the 73 Vic titles and later rode a Hagon Maico , Maico 440 and cole-Elster around the track and can see now how good it was to have them tapped out, not many tracks I see now would allow that and perhaps why the cook chasers triumphed over the sliders. Modern style mx track out the back is the norm for the day, probably better than the god awful track the Hartwell club built out the back for the Grand National when they lost Christmas Hills.
Must see if I can eyeball the old Romset track on a future trip unless its under houses?

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Granite Park, Seymour
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:00 pm »
Yeah Rosco,
            What a track!! I raced there heaps during the '70's and loved it. FAST.
           And what a fantastic sight it was when the big boys came out to play on 500cc sliders, not forgetting the sound as they came over the rise at full noise and into THAT corner. Geeze I'd love to see that again :'(
                   regards  Mark

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »
Just returned from a quick trip to Melboune. Had the dog as a traveling companion and he needed a walk, so we went for a stroll around the old Granite Park at Seymour. Firstly it was a pity to see it in so much disrepair, obviously even the car club no longer use it. I last raced there in 74/75, so it's been a while, but what blew me away was that my memory hadn't factored in , how big and wide the track was. Makes many present tracks only suitable for mini bikes. Second thing the memory hadn't remembered was that the big sweeper at the end of the straight can't be seen until you are there due to the drop off factor just past the tower. Gives another perspective how good the boys were on the big sliders. Got a 3rd in the sub-junior class at the 73 Vic titles and later rode a Hagon Maico , Maico 440 and cole-Elster around the track and can see now how good it was to have them tapped out, not many tracks I see now would allow that and perhaps why the cook chasers triumphed over the sliders. Modern style mx track out the back is the norm for the day, probably better than the god awful track the Hartwell club built out the back for the Grand National when they lost Christmas Hills.
Must see if I can eyeball the old Romset track on a future trip unless its under houses?

Type in  Barry RD   Romsey  into Google Maps, Its still there, shame its a golf course and not used as should be  >:(

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »
Have fond memories of that place won the Sub juniors at the televised meeting in 1975 on my RM125S also seeing Herman on a Bultaco mx'er kicking it side ways from the tower into that sweeper

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
although i never rode the short circuit at granite park i did ride the MX track in 82' - 84' and remember see it. i reckon it would be a lot of years since they held a meeting there. my Club the Dandenong Motorcycle club had a short circuit at wonthaggi and i used to have a play on that in 79' - about 83' and it went down hill fast through neglect and lack of maintenance fast, i can only imagine how poor the surface of seymour would be now.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »
Great photo of GC on ME's bike.
Unfortunately we lost GC just months later, what a rider.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:17 am »
Great photo of GC on ME's bike.
Unfortunately we lost GC just months later, what a rider.
And a great bloke too.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:57 pm »
 Yeah Slides and Pancho,
                       Geoff Curtis ,..... what a huge loss. Not much more i can say. I do know that it was a privilege  and an honor to have had a connection with him. I was there in 1973 when he won the oz title. Like you said Slides, what a rider! What a bloke.                Mark
  p.s. I would pay a seriously stupid amount of $ to get my old bike back.
         Last seen in Junee N.S.W. early '80's

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:56 pm »
 By the way, G.C. also got the lap record that day.