Author Topic: BSA B31 1949  (Read 7803 times)

Mark Austin

BSA B31 1949
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:26:59 am »
Hi lads,

I'm thinking of buying a BSA B31 1949 model - its a road bike. Its a runner, but I'm not sure of its condition.
Does anyone know much about them and can offer some advice?

I think it looks a bit like this:

Cheers,
Mark.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: BSA B31 1949
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:50:12 pm »
G'day Mark,fwiw,B series motors are generally pretty good,solid,mainly dependable,no probs with spares (if you need them),not too familiar with plunger rear beezers,later s/arms better,it's the earlier box too,M20/21 s/valves used them too, multi spring clutch was pretty awful,(but still works ok i guess),guess it depends on $ asked?,hths?,cheers Mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

firko

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:09:07 pm »
A lot of these old B31 Beezas were put on a methanol diet and used for short circuit in the 60s before the average bloke could afford a JAP and before Jawa/ESOs were freely available. They were as reliable as a slant six Valiant and despite their weight and lack of sophistication could be made to perform pretty well.
A mate of mine had a bike very similar to the one pictured a few years ago which he had on club rego and used it for rallies and such. It never let him down to my knowledge and I can remember riding it out to Amaroo Park for the 6 Hour race one year while he rode his Goldy. It drew a bit of attention from old blokes with fond memories of riding them in the 50s.
In conclusion they're nothing exciting but are good, solid old buggers that can take a fair bit of abuse.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:47:33 am by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:18:12 pm »
Ditto above relaxed fun. The clutch can be fitted with a kit from England that is worlds better too. Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

subanator

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:10:58 pm »
Ditto above relaxed fun. The clutch can be fitted with a kit from England that is worlds better too. Tim

Any info or brand to search for this kit, or related web page?
That kit would also suit my M23.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »
Umm .. been searching for it... remember I found it using "Google"  on a British based web site about Classic road racers ?.... thinking thinking...I later saw one on ebay and got it for 22.00 pommie pounds ....No I do not have it now... Tim   Thinking thinking...
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.