Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 6807 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:58 pm »
 As an apprentice person I started my '36 Ford V8 with the top off the carby.

2nd degree burns to both hands and my neck under my chin from petrol alight spurting out of the fuel line.

Good shot dic***d
  Pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 09:32:54 pm »

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 09:38:54 pm »
Geez I think a bit more carefully about bringing the past into the future if I were you ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »

[/quote]

Was it you who put the rubbish bins on the road....is that the problem? Shame! Made that poor person run off the road.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45:44 pm »
Was it you who put the rubbish bins on the road....is that the problem? Shame! Made that poor person run off the road.

Ha, bloody Nav travelled sideways faster than it ever travelled forwards that day, shoulda left it there for hard rubbish collection ::)

Geez I think a bit more carefully about bringing the past into the future if I were you ;D

:D ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:03 am »
What did you hit with the DT Geoff  :o :o :o were you carring a pillion or are the rear pegs down for wheelies  ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 08:11:39 am »
I think the abilities where on a diferent planet too reality Bill. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:38 am »
I really like that model of DT 175, 250 and 400  :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 08:34:01 am »
What did you hit with the DT Geoff  :o :o :o were you carring a pillion or are the rear pegs down for wheelies  ;D

A truck
A casual ride to the local Milk Bar ended up 3 months in a wheel chair. :'(
Pillion pegs must have come down on impact  :o

And it was a horrible model.
Underpowered, 8 stroked everywhere, fat, gobbled fuel like a V8 and the brakes were shit

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:54 am »
And to make matters worse--he took photos of his mistakes..... ::) ::) ::)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:13 am »
Not quite,
It always seems to be your mates that take photo's of your mistakes.

Bastard mates

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:51 am »
Not quite,
It always seems to be your mates that take photo's of your mistakes.

Bastard mates

Guess thats where you learned your skill for being in the right place at the right time for the wrong time for someone else's time of wrongness.............I'm getting confused. Off for a Bex and a lie down now.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

IT400C

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »
Back in 1982 I was doing my usual "rebuild the bike the day before the Enduro" thing..

Registered YZ125J, my first MX bike, and I was 18 years old and just getting into the swing of having to regularly put in new rings, pistons etc..

Anyway, I was only going to put a new ring on the existing piston, so Saturday afternoon I fitted the ring, put it all back together and tried to start her up..

No go – it wouldn’t start.  It had been running perfectly earlier that day.  After trying everything I could think of, I rang Rob Assink (Gaythorne Yamaha owner and tuning guru) at home, and after explaining the situation, he asked what I had checked.  After I told him it had a new ring, but seemed to have low compression, he told me that the ring was probably stuck in the ring groove.  I hadn’t cleaned it out before putting the new ring on.

So I went upstairs to have dinner, vowing to pull it apart again straight after dinner.  One thing led to another and it was about 8pm before I went back down stairs.

Sure enough, the ring was stuck in the groove.  So off with the piston (I’d left the piston on first time through), clean the ring groove, fit the ring, on with the piston, on with the barrel, reconnect the cooling system, put all the plastics back together etc.

But the bloody thing still wouldn't start!  Again I checked everything I could think of...  But still no luck...   

In a bit of a panic at the thought of missing a round of the Queensland Yamaha 6 Day Series, I again rang Rob Assink.  It was only when he finally answered the phone sounding half asleep that I realised it was after 1am on a Sunday morning...   :-[

To Rob's credit, he took the time to ask what I'd done this time, what I'd checked this time etc...  Then he told me to pull the pipe off the bike and shine a torch into the motor...

And THAT is how I learnt what the arrow on the top of a piston is for.............    :-[ :-[   ::) 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:35:41 pm by IT400C »

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »
When I was 13 I read an article in Dirt Bike on de coking your two stroke.  So off to the shed  and pull the top end of my TS125.  Holly hell look how loose those piston rings are.  Off to Peter Stevens for a new set of ring.  "Oversize or standard" asked the salesman.  Umm standard I guess.  Bolt it all back together thinking how vlever I was but I could never get it to run right again.  No idea why, it had new rings and should've been good. Went bike less for an eternity until I bought a DT250.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »
Despite knowing the alternator was going flat out all the time on my Datsun 1600 due to an electrical problem, I decided it was a good time to check the ignition timing with my el-cheapo timing light (the sort that the sparkplug voltage go through - so they have long HT cables from the No 1 plug cap to the timing light and then to the No 1 sparkplug)
Of course the battery was venting hydrogen and oxygen strongly despite the lights being on high beam (trying to reduce the rate the battery lost water).
As I was leaning over fiddling with the distributor, the HT cables shorted through their el-cheapo insulation to the battery clamp and the battery exploded. Luckily I was wearing glasses, and was in the front yard at my parents place so it wasn't long before I was able to wash the acid off me and the car with the garden hose.
previous pseudonym feetupfun