Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Mistakes
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »
I have noticed that gurus don't seem to acknowledge or admit them when their err has been bought to attention ::)

I can safely tell you I have made a plenty. Sometimes I am happy to call it falling forward :-[ :)

This is one I hope may save others the same peril, or maybe there is no one dummer than me out there. That one would sure take some liquid consolement.

Anyhow. I bought one of those large size you beaut powered wash tubs from Super-Cheap. At the time I noticed a massive sale on 5 liter packs of hose/off degreaser. Anyhow I bought one, took it home to experiment and see if it was highly flammable or not.
It wasn't, so I went back and bought an industrial quantity. Filled the new wash station with them off course. I thought it was a brilliant idea at the time not to have a large tub of highly flammable liquid in a shed where I am welding and using grinders etc.

Brilliant I thought. Absolutely safety conscious brilliant, I thought.

Who would have known or thought that because it mixes readily with water to hose off, that it would indeed be hygroscopic and suck moisture out of the surrounding atmosphere? then settle on the seal and big-end journals and corrode them. Well not me anyhow :-[ Basically I stuffed five perfect cranks that I had stored in there for safe keeping.

Hard one to fall forward on that one. I hope it happens to no one else.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:34:08 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »
Yep*go take some o' that 'liquid consolment'

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:09 pm »
Now that's just down right cruel.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:59:54 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »
I know its not quite what you're talking about, Mick, but I feel the need to confess:

I got really annoyed at a bloke driving along at 40kph the other day - 20kph under the limit. Got pretty annoyed, roared past while giving him death stares.
About when I pulled back to the correct side of the road, I saw the "end school zone" sign...

Bit hard to find a good excuse for that...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »
But isn,t that what lifes about learning be it from mistakes or sucesses, and by admiting it when need be got to enjoy it.

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:20:02 am »
But isn,t that what lifes about learning be it from mistakes or sucesses, and by admiting it when need be got to enjoy it.

Yes, I've been telling myself that for years now but it seems the older I get I am making no less of them. When does the tide turn and all this learning helps you make less of them, or maybe it doesn't, and that's my biggest mistake, expecting it to change? I'm with you though, enjoy the journey.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:44:11 am by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:17 am »
I know its not quite what you're talking about, Mick, but I feel the need to confess:

I got really annoyed at a bloke driving along at 40kph the other day - 20kph under the limit. Got pretty annoyed, roared past while giving him death stares.
About when I pulled back to the correct side of the road, I saw the "end school zone" sign...

Bit hard to find a good excuse for that...

Well, you ARE a Volvo driver, Nathan.... :D

Bad luck, Mick. Grrrrrrrrrr  >:(
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:00:57 am »
I have noticed that gurus don't seem to acknowledge or admit them when their err has been bought to attention ::)
Who would have known or thought that because it mixes readily with water to hose off, that it would indeed be hygroscopic and suck moisture out of the surrounding atmosphere?

I couldn,t help but notice the word Hygroscopic and was waiting for some dik##ead to tell you that you were an idiot because you spelt it wrong.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:13:21 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:27 am »

Well, you ARE a Volvo driver, Nathan.... :D

Maybe I was just subconciously doing my bit to reverse the stereotype?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:33:40 am »

. When does the tide turn and all this learning helps you make less of them,
Exactly 2 hrs before you lose your marbles and forget everything youve learnt in the past 50 yrs....but it's an enlightening 2 hrs :P

TM BILL

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
Who would have known or thought that because it mixes readily with water to hose off, that it would indeed be hygroscopic and suck moisture out of the surrounding atmosphere?

I couldn,t help but notice the word Hygroscopic and was waiting for some dik##ead to tell you that you were an idiot because you spelt it wrong.

I think you have spelt Dic##ead wrong  ;)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:11 am »
Mistakes made while growing-up ha ha ....

My Italjet 50, thought I'd check for spark while all the carb parts were sitting in a tub of petrol next to the bike, while I had petrol soaked hands; the bike had a very chard look after that.

The 'hammer', one of my favourite tools after the shifter; damaged crankshaft ends from trying to get flywheels off without a puller.  Broken crankcases from installing main bearings with a hammer rather than a press.

Cleaning the chain on my RM250Z with some form of acid I aquired from somewhere, rolled up at the local track on Sat morning, everyone checking out my immaculately prepared RM, started it up, clutch in, selected first .... chain breaks drops on the ground, very embarrassing.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 03:34:25 pm »

I think you have spelt Dic##ead wrong  ;)
American spelling.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »
I put some methanol that was left over after a meeting in my Z50 at Nepean once.
Dad had knocked off for the day, read - drinking and talking shite, and wouldn't syphon any petrol out of the car for me to keep riding in the dark, what could possibly go wrong.
I couldn't see a problem but dad certainly did. :(