Author Topic: Now check THIS one out!  (Read 8221 times)

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Now check THIS one out!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:44 pm »

Sooooo cooool!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cheney-husqvarna-610-/271006092969?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f1938cea9
  now that "bluey" is worth a future pre90 investment.Even the younger generation would reckon its a weapon. 8) 8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
As cool as Eric's masterpieces were, he got it so wrong with much of his tank design. That's the fugliest tank I've ever seen on a motocross bike. The blokes claim of the bike being the only one made might be a little off seeing Martin's posted the red one. That makes two by my Marist Brothers arithmetic.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:31:36 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »
The thing that gets me is most Huskies handled and steered great...what the?....Firko, I agree 100% with you regards the tank....he must have been getting dementure at that stage.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »
I still love it, the bike is about 4" wide, compared to he original husky at about 40"...  ;D
And the stock 510 steers and handles great in a straight line...
I think Simon has a third one for sale on his pages, cheneyracing.co.uk, so that makes it at least 3...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:49:41 pm by ola_martin »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:02:52 am »
Not sure about routing the coolant through the frame and then dispensing with the radiators... interesting concept in the usual quirky Cheney way. Not saying it wouldn't work but I have my doubts...

And Firko is on the money... Cheney could have made a fortune if he had subbed out the tank/sidecover designs for his bikes. Beyond ugly!!!  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:17:21 am »
The Wasps have the oil through the frame and it works well-no rads to get cleaned up and plenty of cooling area. Very smart by my reckoning.
The major draw-back is that the frame gets pretty hot and the passenger (and some nosey by-standers that got too near) often took the brunt of it when touching certain parts of the chassis :D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:51:35 am »
The Wasps have the oil through the frame and it works well-no rads to get cleaned up and plenty of cooling area. Very smart by my reckoning.
The major draw-back is that the frame gets pretty hot and the passenger (and some nosey by-standers that got too near) often took the brunt of it when touching certain parts of the chassis :D

Hey Wasp,
I agree, engine oil in the frame - fine idea. Engine coolant [water] another story... I reckon it would struggle big time with heat spikes due to varing engine loads. Nowhere near enough surface area and the heat transfer through a steel frame compared to aluminum radiators would be very slow...

Love to hear from the 2 guys who have the bikes with their thoughts.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
And Firko is on the money... Cheney could have made a fortune if he had subbed out the tank/sidecover designs for his bikes. Beyond ugly!!!  Cheesy
I just don't get where Erics head was at. His framework is beautiful and technically brilliant but he didn't seem to have a clue on tank aesthetics. Even the lovely smooth tank on my own Cheney is spoiled by the stupid "ball tearer" tank mounts, both the rear rubber band mounts and the stupid wing nut gizmo's on the side. It would have been so simple to mount the tank with one top mounted bolt like BSA used.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:18:05 pm »
Living proof that the old riders were a much tougher bred than the current bunch of soft crops!!
Either that or Eric had no nuts!!! :D

albrid-3

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
I wouldn`t worry about that Mark, you done ride any more, or do you, just enjoy the workmanship, nice bike.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:55:22 pm by Green Machine »

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
Hmmm,  And this one is pictured on the Cheney website.....  Mark, yours is the only one I have seen with that type of rear mounting.  I'm thinking someone other than Eric added it later.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:35:12 pm by dfisher »
Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »
I wouldn`t  about that Mark, you done ride any more, or do you, just enjoy the workmanship, nice bike.
What the fluck are you trying to say Dave? ??? ???
Mark, yours is the only one I have seen with that type of rear mounting.  I'm thinking someone other than Eric added it later.
Dale, I saw pictures of a Husky powered Cheney with the same enduro tank as mine and it had the same mounts. While I've got you Dale.....would you happen to have a detail or close up picture of the right side footpeg and brake mount for my model Cheney? I didn't get them with the frame originally and I'm not happy with my current 'Firkobuilt' set up. I'd like to do it as close to factory as possible. Unfortunately every other two stroke Cheney I've seen in Oz has a different style frame and peg set up to mine.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:12:29 pm by firko »

albrid-3

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:13:51 pm »
I wouldn`t  about that Mark, you done ride any more, or do you, just enjoy the workmanship, nice bike.
What the fluck are you trying to say Dave? ??? ???
Mark, yours is the only one I have seen with that type of rear mounting.  I'm thinking someone other than Eric added it later.
Dale, I saw pictures of a Husky powered Cheney with the same enduro tank as mine and it had the same mounts. While I've got you Dale.....would you happen to have a detail or close up picture of the right side footpeg and brake mount for my model Cheney? I didn't get them with the frame originally and I'm not happy with my current 'Firkobuilt' set up. I'd like to do it as close to factory as possible. Unfortunately every other two stroke Cheney I've seen in Oz has a different style frame and peg set up to mine.
Mark, what I am saying is that the tank mounting lugs look fine, they go with the workmanship of the bike, and you told me once that you don`t ride anymore you just like restoring them. I am not trying to be
nasty in anyway. cheers.