Author Topic: Moulding new seat foam  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
Moulding new seat foam
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »
Hi all,
I have just moulded a new seat foam for my xl500s, the old foam had sagged and broken down a bit in the 31 years that my big butt has been bashing the hell out of it and I also have broken down a bit also. I had my left knee replaced 2years ago and waiting to do the right, had my right shoulder rebuilt for the second time about 8 months ago and it has gone again and waiting to do the left so getting on to the pegs is a bit hard latley. Hoping by raising the seat height and using bar raisers this will change the angle of my knees enough to make it a bit easier to get up. I used the pan of the bike to mock up a clay seat ( increased the height by about 50mm) and took a fiberglass mould off it and poured a flexable foam am now waiting for my wife to sew a new cover for it. It was trial and error to get the right amount of foam as it always is with a one off, couldnt get much help from suppliers as to what volume the foam would expand to ended in doing 4 pours to fill the mould.
I,m not very smart but I can lift heavy objects.(well I used to be able to.)

mainline

Re: Moulding new seat foam
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »
it'll be interesting to see how it goes, hopefully well. If it turns to shite I know an upholsterer who custom makes seat foams.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:05:31 pm »
Hi Rod, sounds like a well thought out plan, . Be sure to let us know how it comes out.
What is the name of the foam kit and where did you get it please?
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »
Hi maimline & MICK-DE,
I test rode the bike with a piece of fabric as cover to check shape before we cover it with gripper vinyl and it feels good even the gear change has a better feel with the way my foot sits on the peg due to the changed angle to my knee's. The product I used was flexable polyurathane foam 130Kg per M/3 there are various densitys in this foam I chose the highest density.
 The supplier is Barnes  Products Pty Ltd
Contact
Free Call: 1300 731 497

SYDNEY
 53 King St, Newtown NSW 2042
 Tel: 02 9557 9056
 Open 10-5 Mon-Fri & 10-4 Sat

MELBOURNE
 42 Swan St, Richmond VIC 3121
 Tel: 03 9428 5511
 Open 9-5 Mon Fri & 10-1 Sat

BRISBANE
 1/16 Nile St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
 Tel: 07 3304 6010
 Open 9-5 Mon-Fri & 10-4 Sat

Montynut

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:37:57 pm »
it'll be interesting to see how it goes, hopefully well. If it turns to shite I know an upholsterer who custom makes seat foams.

Mainline can you please tell me who can make a seat foam as I need one for my XR200?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:41 am »
I use ABU Trimming at Moorooka for my seats, excellent workmanship and know what to do.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:26 am »
Hi Rod, R&D, trial and error, controlled experiment, it is great result when with the aid of a bit of nouse that you were able to achieve the desired result in the first round. Good going 8) And thank you for suppling all that info.

Montynut, if you cannot find an original in time and don't want to make a mold? you better get a blank foam of Les quickly and get to work.

Mark out your foam with a permanent texta.

If you intend to use an original seat cover? you will need to do a smick, accurate job of preparing the blank foam. Obviously you will need an original seat to copy the three dimensional profiling from.

A little bit of prep will make it a lot easier in the long run if you intend to produce a perfect original. Use an original seat as a model to raise profiling templates from. Cut from cardboard a template for the beginning and end of each of the three dimensions runs first. If the cut run changes angle(deviates in direction) along the way, best to make an intermediate template for the cross-sectional profile at that point. Then make all of your templates at least 3mm bigger, three mm is fine if you have smooth cutting skills. This is to allow for a small amount of surfboard style shaping at the end and also the finished foam needs to be a couple of mill  bigger over-all to produce a taut fit for the cover. Use the templates to assist in marking out and again as finishing guides when sanding.

All though Makita sell a cutting tool for foam, it is expensive. Use a large band saw very carefully. Very slow controlled hand feed. An electric carving knife with long blades. Be very aware of where the other end of the blades are cutting, or its back to Les for another blank. I find it impossible to witness both entry and exit points of the blades at the same time. Unless you are sure, stop regularly and check that your cut is proceeding as planned.

Have a bucket of water next to you with some dish washing liquid added. Dip the cutting blades in it, each time you stop to check your cut. I assume you have a supply with earth leakage and fill the bucket no further than the depth of the blades of course. 

For final shaping, mount your seat base to a solid non moving carpenters style workhorse or beam. Then glue the new foam to your seat base with that yellowish contact cement. Use a hand held 3" belt sander to slowly and gently finish.
Most seats have a radius along the top longitudinal edges. To produce this small radius, grab your belt sander and use to it in the same motion(rock filing) that a Fitter Machinist would to hand produce a radius and other materials, be it metal, wood, plastic etc.

The best way to cut the foam is to knock up a hot wire cutter. Grab an old fan heater of the council clean up. Unwind the heat fulfillment wire. To straighten the wire, re-kill it. You can do this by straining it and pulling it back and forth over the curved edge of a piece of pipe.
Then strain it like a bow string between two mounting points. Get a car battery as source. To control the cutting heat of the wire, use the demister fan control switch and resistor out of an old car wreck. Mount a tilting plywood guide table and the cutting hot wire obviously replaces the bandsaw blade.

Easiest to get a trimmer for a custom made cover if in the end the new foam has turned out a bit ordinary, Good luck.

PS; personally I reckon Rods method is the go  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:11:37 pm by MICK-DE »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »
I have used a dense blue foam from Clark rubber, use a spray can glue to join the layers then shape useing a electric knife and then sand like soft wood to finish , place 8mm soft foam all over the hard stuff to cover the joins so it looks right. Then off to the upholster for the cover and finishing touches.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:03 pm »
I have used a dense blue foam from Clark rubber, use a spray can glue to join the layers then shape useing a electric knife and then sand like soft wood to finish , place 8mm soft foam all over the hard stuff to cover the joins so it looks right. Then off to the upholster for the cover and finishing touches.

Would that be those 20mm thick Yoga mats they sell?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
Unsure I think it's denser and it is 30mm thick and you just buy it by the meter , just by itself it's a little to hard.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
Cheers, I will check it out next time I am going by their store ;)

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »
I am a pattern maker by trade so I wasn't going in completly blind I should have sat on the clay for a perfect fit (ha ha). I was told by the supplier you cannot use a hot wire to cut flexable foam, I used an electric knife to final fit after moulding (I was a bit to wide at the top of seat) then tried a belt sander and then I found an angle grinder with a flap disk on it 80# worked well and with care it smoothed the cut and blended in to shape until I was happy with the shape. I went for the higher density so I didnt just loose the extra height just in being squashed back to nothing by my 120 kg's.
Regards Rod. :)

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »
I had great success with a really dense piece of foam from Clark rubber for my Matador about 75mm thick.I used one of those el cheapo disposable long flexy stanley knife's and then a 1mm thick  cutting disc on a 5'' grinder. By pulling the grinder back towards yourself it can be used to shape the curved edges.

Got a tin of gel like contact cement and lots of bulldog paper clips and stuck the cover to the fibreglass seat base in sections. It worked out pretty well.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Rod Rocket

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »
Hi all,
I have just moulded a new seat foam for my xl500s, the old foam had sagged and broken down a bit in the 31 years that my big butt has been bashing the hell out of it and I also have broken down a bit also. I had my left knee replaced 2years ago and waiting to do the right, had my right shoulder rebuilt for the second time about 8 months ago and it has gone again and waiting to do the left so getting on to the pegs is a bit hard latley. Hoping by raising the seat height and using bar raisers this will change the angle of my knees enough to make it a bit easier to get up. I used the pan of the bike to mock up a clay seat ( increased the height by about 50mm) and took a fiberglass mould off it and poured a flexable foam am now waiting for my wife to sew a new cover for it. It was trial and error to get the right amount of foam as it always is with a one off, couldnt get much help from suppliers as to what volume the foam would expand to ended in doing 4 pours to fill the mould.
Went for my first ride on the new seat today it was great I didnt expect such a huge change in so many ways,apart from being easier to get up on my feet also the angle of my feet on the pegs is greatly improved used to be toes down now they are more level dont catch so much on the terrain and also better gear changes and brake pedel position
(dont have to lift front of foot to reach). The change in centre of gravity is also a great benifit in that the front is again easier to float the front wheel when ever needed. The first time I came down on the seat it was oh that felt great to actually feel the seat flex under you instead of thump there's the frane jamed up your bum as before. I am happy with the dense foam I went with it is firm but not hard at all. Very pleased so far. :)
Regards Rod.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:46:04 am by Rod Rocket »