Author Topic: Should I buy PW's or TTR's for learners?  (Read 3189 times)

IT400C

Should I buy PW's or TTR's for learners?
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
I'm about to buy bikes for my 4 year old son and 8 year old nephew.  I'll either get them a PW50 and PW80 or a TTR50 and TTR110.

I know the PW's are 2 stroke and kickstart while the TTR's are 4 stroke, electric start and a little taller and heavier.  But I really don't know too much more than that about them.

Anyone gone through the Pros and Cons of going either way previously?  I'm not sure which way to go...

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy PW's or TTR's for learners?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
If it helps......for the little tacker, I would go with the PW50 over the TTR. Heaps lighter and they don't have any engine braking...It's a long story, but I watched two kids learn together one on a PW the other TTR, they both ended up picking it up quicker on the PW and neither wanted to ride the TTR.
The older aircooled KTM 50's would also be a good one.

IT400C

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
Yeah, I was leaning towards the PW's based on the 4 year old's requirements....   

Only down side with that is that whenever I've taken him to the bike shops in the past, he's always gone straight to the TTR's (50 and 110) - I could never get him to even sit on a PW50...

The 8 year old's easy - he'd even ride all day on a too small PW50 if that's all that was available!   ;D

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
The PW50 might hurt him less when he bins it.  I bought one for my 4 year old, but I'm letting him get more bicycle time first to develop his co ordination and use his own energy.  He still needs to develop some common sense as well.

mainline

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
The ttr has the brake controls in the conventional places compared to the pw50. You might want to think about the jr50 too

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »
my 8 year old has a JR80 that he rides everyday.Bought it secondhand for $1200 and he loves it,makes me smile because it is aircooled and drum brakes,he never complains about the lack of power or braking!A great little bulletproof bike!             
yz125d yz250g yz250f it250j rm125b rm125a

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
TTR is a lot heavier and a fair bit bigger - like a Z50 with th e extra weight of the electric start stuff, I guess.

The PW lacks torque and/or is geared too tall (depending on how you look at life).

The Boy is going to get a PW.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
PW50's suffer head shake, my kids love riding PW80's.

Favourite is the '75' GT80 with YZ60 front end and YSS shocks, teacher's them to use a clutch early like we had to.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »
MR50's the go. Brakes in the right spot, a clutch with little engine brakeing and look the part to. Just have to try and find one in good condition so your not working on it all day.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
Hmmm bikes that have gone unchanged for 25 years or so - or one of there so called "betters" or counterparts? The answer is right there!

Enjoy your PW50 & PW80's!!!!  ;)  ;D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
I would buy a PW80 and something like an XR80/100.
They improve their ability and at these ages they outgrow a bike so fast.
Go for used over new, it'll only be a year or two and one or both will be back on the market.

Offline DJVGXL

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
I have a really clean yz 85 for sale,only ridden to church on sundays,perfect for any learner! Ha ha . Both my kids learnt on a pw 50,bought it new and only lost a few $ when i sold it yrs later,was a great little bike. :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
yeah as slidez says - try to build in some growth factor if possible - both will outgrow a PW 50 real quick!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »
PW'es you Yamaha homo....they have probably produced more world champions than all the others combined. ;D....make sure you come toomorow......tell her to cook her own farking eggs. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
If they want to do jumps ect you cannot go past the KTM mini adventure and the PRO Senior. They are lighter and handle a lot better. You can set up a foot brake on the both bikes if need be. My boy came off a QR 50 onto a ktm and what a difference that made to his riding.  Ask around and see if you can get a test ride on all bikes and see what the kids feel happy on. If you are in QLD (QVMX) more than happy for the kids to try out my boys bike.  ;D
My fastest lap is the first one :)