Author Topic: 6 Dzus fasteners off finished  (Read 12404 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
6 Dzus fasteners off finished
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:15 am »
Almost there some Dsuz fasteners and it should be a goer..... also has the worst front brake in history so may need more thought ;)

formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Dzus fasteners off finished
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:54:53 am »
looks great.

What is the brake and what is the problem?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:06 am »
Front wheel is off OSSA, yeah I know but the rims matched with the back. Cable is  pretty light so I will probably start there and make stiffer one.
formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:16:38 am »
stick with it.  Always start with shoes that are the right size...  for instance the new shoes for the Bantam / Rickman hubs are a metric equivalent to the original imperials sizes and they are slightly undersized,
So from day one you have to adjust the shoes out loosing the mechanical advantage of the cam and brake set up.  You also reduce the contact patch between the shoes and the lining as you adjust out, so you are loosing your braking area and end up with rubbish brakes.

Consequently some people moan about the Bantam and Rickman hubs.  It's not the hubs it's the shoes.

I am luck and can get my shoes relined to match the hub.  When they go in the hub you can hear the air rush out between the shoes and the brake lining, they are a perfect fit and the shoes is in full contact with the barle lining, so maximum braking.

A good quality cable and a good quality lever will also help.

Keep up the good work, the bike is looking magnificent

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:31:19 am »
Keep up the good work, the bike is looking magnificent

Cheers for that, yeah I will just work through it step by step, bit of marking blue on the hubs might tell me something as well. You know like any bike just as much work goes into shaking out the bugs as building it.
formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:36 am »
Front wheel is off OSSA,
And therin lays the fatal flaw in your otherwise beautiful little bike Marc. I used an OSSA Stilleto front end including the wheel on my DT1 from Hell and try as I might, I could never get it to stop worth a shit. I tried lengthening and then shortening the control arm, tried a thicker gauge cable, tried super soft linings and even gave the wheel to Dougie Chivas to degree it in on the lathe. Everything worked a tiny bit but in the end it was still awful. In  desperation I went to the bloke who knows more about OSSA'S than anyone in Australia, Phil Young who told me that even he'd never been able to get the full width OSSA front brake to work back in the day. He used to replace them with DT1 Yamaha full width items....go figure ::). If your brake is the same as the one shown in the below photo, you're up against it my friend.

By the way, you've been a bit quiet since your return to sunny NZ. Have you settled in OK mate?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:17:49 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:34 pm »
very, very nice, we're going to need some more photo's though

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »

By the way, you've been a bit quiet since your return to sunny NZ. Have you settled in OK mate?

Hi Mark, mine is conical hub Ossa so probably even worse...... have to rely heavily on the 441s engine breaking :o.

Mate its all good..... settled into NZ fairly seamlessly, working for a company that has one division that sells tools and I get generous staff rate, so needlesss to say I have a pretty Gucci shed set up coming along.  ;D Next mission is to build a shed/house.
formerly Marc.com

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »
trade ya a set of B50MX s/cvrs for your poxy ossa front hub  ;D,(you can keep the rim Marc  ;)), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:32:01 am »
trade ya a set of B50MX s/cvrs for your poxy ossa front hub  ;D,(you can keep the rim Marc  ;)), :P

I am sure I have a Rickman wheel about somewhere forthe front but not sure it will be an improvement  ;)
formerly Marc.com

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:08 pm »
6 X AJ5 35-40-45's, + 6 x S225,included, ;) (= look harder  ;D), :P

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »
Looking good Mark!
Some more pics please ;D

I've finally tracked down all 6 original dzus for mine, but if you find a source for new ones please let me know. All I can find is the new type with knobs on the screw and not a slot.

Did you end up painting the tank instead of anodizing? Candy, metallic??

Although I think our bikes is pretty similar to start with, yours beeing the last of the BSA's and mine the first of the XT500's I,ve chose a different style, longtravel,  with JBR banana-swing and Fox Airs in the rear, and Fox Forx in the front.... ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:33:14 pm by ola_martin »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:51:52 pm »
Ola,look on top of the stud,it will tell you the size,ie AJ5 ,35/40/45,are common short lengths,i have dzus fastners as i use them on the multiple section fairings i manufacture, :P

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 06:20:13 am »
Looking good Mark!
Some more pics please ;D

I've finally tracked down all 6 original dzus for mine, but if you find a source for new ones please let me know. All I can find is the new type with knobs on the screw and not a slot.

Did you end up painting the tank instead of anodizing? Candy, metallic??

Although I think our bikes is pretty similar to start with, yours beeing the last of the BSA's and mine the first of the XT500's I,ve chose a different style, longtravel,  with JBR banana-swing and Fox Airs in the rear, and Fox Forx in the front.... ;)

Hi Ola, still chasing my Dzus fasteners mate, need some 1/4" ones with knobs/slot or anything at the moment would be good, maybe Mick has them.

Tank is B50SS tank and it came back from at anodisers looking more like Leopard skin, he blamed that it had contained fuel.... anyway short story was the whole lot got 2 pack Fiat Burgandy . My frame is stamped JBR 75 ..... engine is B44 with bigger Omega piston, B50MX cam, front wheel is Ossa, rear is Rickman, forks are Ceriani and shocks are Falcon.

Wsan't too worried about originality, as Cheney tanks often like two cake tins soldered together.... just wanted it to be nice looking bike at surprisingly reasonable price. Frame seat and shocks were 3 grand, good running motor was $1500 so we are not talking crazy money like CCMs

Next Cheney on the menu is my cantilever Honda one. 

formerly Marc.com

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
pm sent ::), :P