Author Topic: Matchless Metisse.  (Read 1564 times)

Curly3

Matchless Metisse.
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »
Is this the real deal?
My suspision is it's a replica, I wouldn't dream of losing one of my father's bikes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-motorcycle-/110896108550?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item19d1ec5406

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Matchless Metisse.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:42:51 pm »
That's a genuine mid sixties Matchless Metisse, bought new by Col Evans in England who used it in the many British and Euro motocross meeting he raced along with Roy East, Ray Fisher, Kelvin Franks, Tim Gibbes and other Aussie pioneers. In recent years Cols son Glenn has ridden it with great success in classic dirt track. It's a rocket.
The Jawa Metisse the family is also selling is a replica though.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »
That's the point I was hoping to make, is it the original bike that Col rode?
If it is & given it's history, I'd be reluctant to sell unless it was a price you absolutely could not refuse, even then I'd struggle to part with it.

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:32 am »
lovely bike (loose that silencer!)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
lovely bike (loose that silencer!)
Ben, this bike has much more than the ad says. The engine supposedly is a "through the back door" ex comp department item that was smuggled out piece by piece by a fellow Aussie who worked in the comp shop. Col rode it in sixties UK and Euro Internationals and it's history is pretty well documented.
In it's recent resurgence as a dirt tracker ridden by Cols son Glenn, the engine was rebuilt by the legendary Frank Stanborough, probably the best Matchy bloke in Oz. It's got a Venolia B50 piston, Carillo G50 spec rod, Compy Goldstar cam profile, ported, centre port head, stainless steel valves, electronic ignition and is balanced like a Swiss watch. The muffler is on there to pass the stringent 92db noise regulations at the Aussie Titles, the last time it was ridden.
My suspision is it's a replica, I wouldn't dream of losing one of my father's bikes.
I'm sure Glenn would agree with you Slidey but Col's wife Pat is selling up all of the race tackle so the money raised can be distributed equally amongst the kids. Sometimes the need for money overcomes sentiment.The thing that bothers me is that Pooley's done a pretty ordinary job with the eBay listing.
Not only has he misspelled Metisse but he's underdone the bikes history and specifications. The photo is crap, they didn't even wash and detail the bike. It should also have listed it internationally rather than just in Australia. Terry's a really nice bloke but he's not doing the sale any favours with that listing. You can also tell his speedway/dirt track leanings by pricing the Jawa Metisse 2k higher than the Matchless when in truth the genuine period Matchy is a 4k better bike than the replica Jawa machine, and it's not just in the frames. The Matchless engine alone is worth twice that of the Jawa 2V.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:15:10 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »
Its alot of money to spend on a bike which class is very sadly allmost dead, I cant remember seeing more than one Metisse at the Nats this year.  :-\
The Matchless is my Fav Metisse ever since I saw Clarky's in the early 90's
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
Its alot of money to spend on a bike which class is very sadly allmost dead, I cant remember seeing more than one Metisse at the Nats this year. 
Yeah maybe so Mick but the only way to get these bike out there again is to keep the interest up with the owners by making the events 'must do' for those bikes. I know of at least 5 or 6 Metisses or serious pre 65 bikes that didn't go to the Nats for their own good reasons. They're still involved in the sport but opted to stay at home despite me and others prompting them.
Many have said that the whole pre 78/75 thing was dead as a dodo but the roll out at the Nats proved that to be wrong. I'd like to think that next years Kama Gutza Nats will atract more pre 65 tackle from Victoria and NSW.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:43:28 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »
I'd like to think that next years Kama Gutza Nats will atract more pre 65 tackle from Victoria and NSW.

yep yep ~ A few would like the Nats to be later on in the year say September.As our yearly calender starts later here and now with the Dandaloo Classic looking at being held on June long weekend.It gives people finacial time and bike preptime..The more that goes into the seacontainer the cheaper it is.I'll hammer those pre65 owners again if thats the way the next host club runs the 2013 Classic Nationals.  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »
Firko dont quote me but there looked to be more pre 78 250's in the all ins than the pre 75 250 both won by KTM's the interest in pre 78 this year has motovaited me in VMX
I was hoping to see some footage or photo's of the pre 78 classes posted on here there were some trick looking Zuki's that for sure.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Curly3

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »
Now I know the story its understanable.
I was cjhatting with one of Pooley's daughters and Darryl Butler today at a soggy Nepean when the subject of Col's bikes came up. Apparently Terry flew up to organise the listings, the ad did seem understated to me and didn't sound like Glen had written it.
Apparently a guy who lives near Penrith somewhere is in the process of buying it, I mentioned a well known collector that had his name written all over a purchase like that and the reply was, that's him.
Unfortunately for Glen it sounds like maybe some family issues, sad for him but it certainly happens.