Author Topic: Beware of cheap Magura copy throttles.  (Read 3829 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Beware of cheap Magura copy throttles.
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
I recently bought what I thought would be a Magura 314 throttle from Niche Cycle Supply on eBay.
The item was described in the heading as Magura Straight Pull 314 Style Throttle Assembly 28-40mm Carbs so I went ahead and bought it on 'Buy it Now' for $21.95US. When the item arrived I noticed that it was in Emgo packaging which also told me that the throttle was 'made in Taiwan R.O.C. for Emgo'.
The throttle itself is an almost identical copy of the real thing except for not having any branding or writing whatsoever and being noticiably lighter than a genuine made in Germany Magura. I should have also seen the sign in that all of the photos show the underside of the throttle where there's nothing written. I've sent the following email to Nich Cycle Supply to see what their response is before I leave a negative feedback. The thing that shits me is that I could have purchased a genuine article for only a few dollars more but I thought I was getting a deal. There's no way I'll use this throttle after the dangerous experiences I and many others have had with couterfeit Emgo Gunnar Gasser throttles. I'll put this one down to experience after I've taken out my revenge. >:(
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/170754766842?item=170754766842&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Hi. Your ad describes the item as a Magura 314 style trottle assembly. Silly me took you for your word and thought the I'd get just what I wanted, A genuine Magura throttle. What I got was a cheap knock off, probably made in China, with no Magura branding and in non Magura packaging. Maybe I should have taken the word STYLE a bit more seriously, I believe your description is designed to deliberately deceive. I'd be interested to read your response before I leave a feedback.........Mark Firkin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:04:01 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

Re: Beware of cheap Magura copy throttles.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
Got caught in the same way where they used the word 'style'

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »
The 'style' inclusion is his legal 'get off free' card . I know it's only a 20 buck throttle but there's a principle involved, so I'll report them to eBay as well as leaving a negative feedback. The posting is designed purely to deceive going by the way the photo is presented and the fact that it should have been described as an Emgo throttle, not a Magura as Emgo is the only branding on either the throttle or packaging.  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:03:03 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »

But yours was when you were getting a haircut ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

mainline

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »

But yours was when you were getting a haircut ;D

True unfortunately. At least the days of worrying about bad haircuts are behind you though.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:11 pm »
dead right there glove boy....just comb it with a towel these days
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:40:41 am »
Niche Cycle replied to my eBay message......
Dear firko,

These are EMGO throttles assemblies, made in Taiwan and in my opinion are great throttle assemblies for $21.95. I am sorry you feel the listing was developed to deceive but I can assure you that is defiantly not the case . If you do not want the throttle you are more than welcome to send it back for a refund.

- nichesupply

And I replied....
I do indeed think that you set out to deceive buyers. If it's an Emgo throttle list it as an Emgo throttle not a Magura (style). The fact that the photos of the throttle show the underside thus avoiding anyone noticing the lack of Magura branding. The thing that riles me is that I could buy a genuine Magura 314 for only a few dollars more. I most definitely won't be using this throttle as I had a serious accident a few years ago when an Emgo Gunnar Gasser knock off failed and jammed on full throttle. I'll keep the throttle and add it to my stash to photograph for my upcoming magazine piece on cheap and nasty (and dangerous)Chinese knock off throttles. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. eBay will be informed of this transaction.
                                                   Mark Firkin.

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:01:57 pm »
Good reply... it's about time it was said,let them know what we think of their shite!.

cheers Dale.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »

Good on ya Firko. We have put up with this type of deceptive, misleading shite for too long. And Ebay has gone buls#it soft on people doing the wrong thing. They are just after the money too. 

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:06 am »
Niche Supply's final reply.....
Dear firko,

no problem, have a nice day.
- nichesupply

I kind of says it all about Niche Cycle Supply. They don't give a shit.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:58:26 am »
Why should they give a shit?
They have your money and there will be another sucker come along shortly.
Thats how all this cheap shit stuff keeps coming, looks shiny on the outside and its temptingly cheap.
Most don't bother trying to regain there dollars when the return postage is more than the product.

This sort of cheap product wouldn't have survived 30 years ago but the internet has opened up a whole new world of people for them to scam.

And consumer affairs that can normaly protect us from some of these claims has no authority over websites or business's from other countries.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:44:57 am »
I agree Geoff.

customer service and satisfaction went out from being the norm to the exception about 15 years ago.

this is now the way of the modern world unfortunately.

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 11:46:09 am »
And it seems that eBay don't really want to know about it either. Because Niche Cycle Supply sells the Emgo throttle as Magura style they're not really doing anything wrong in eBay's eyes. I've been looking for a way of explaining the situation to eBay but the only line of communication with them that I can find is eBay Buyer Protection http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html. As far as Niche Cycles are concerned, they've offered me a full refund so their obligation is legally complete. There doesn't seem to be any steps I can take to explain the devious listing technique Niche are using. I'm merely trying to prevent other gullible punters from being caught by these snakes.

I've had 15 years of almost trouble free dealings on eBay so I'm not sure where I can go with this complaint other than what I've done. As we sit here Niche Cycle Supply are still offering Emgo throttles up as Maguras.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magura-Straight-Pull-314-Style-Throttle-Assembly-28-40mm-Carbs-/170754766842?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c1c6f7fa&vxp=mtr

If any of you know how to get through the eBay gobbledegook to actually file a complaint, please let me know.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:54:20 am »
Deceptive advertising;"Just inside the law".I bought a container of oil,the container had olive leaves and olive groves all over it.When I got home I discovered the oil only contained 5% olive oil.Rice milk in a very simmilar container to my favorite soy milk.I'm sure the list goes on.However,caveat emptor [buyer beware] aplies more today than it ever has.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
Another mob on Ebay from Portugal selling shortie magura levers and advertising them as Magura .
They are not magura  :o
If you can't see the magura trade mark in the ebay photo then don't buy them.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.